• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

65mm mustang throttle body

AliasJerk

Addicted CEG'er
for the last 4-5 months I have been running a mustang throttle body on my car; I was kind indifferent about the changes it made at first but the more I drove the car with the throttle body, the more I loved the way it changed city and highway driving for me.

To anybody looking for an inexpensive mod for their SVT; this is THE WAY to go. I know there has been dyno tests which say you loose 1 or 2 horsepower in to the top end, but for daily driving the way this throttle body provides torque in the low end is just amazing. With the stock throttle body I would find myself constantly downshifting to do passes in city traffic, when I switched to the mustang throttle body I can leave the car in a high gear, push my foot down a little bit and feel the torque just rush in.

Because of which since im not downshifting as much I have seen increases in gas mileage as well. I went from average 24 mpg up to 26 mpg. If people express a lot of interest I would even consider writing up a how-to on the procedure for doing this mod, it is a little more than just slapping a new throttle body on, it does require a small amount of adjustments to the throttle and so on... Anyways, just wanted to put this out there. I did a quick search and couldn't really find any concrete threads on mustang throttle bodies, but rather people just mentioning them occasionally in a couple of threads.

EDIT: I also would like to add, The person who inspired this mod and helped me very much with the project is Harrry; he pointed me in the direction of which throttle body to order and modified it to work on a contour. We had discussed what the throttle body does for the Contour multiple times... At first I didn't like the way it drove, but after I had recently fixed a couple of minor issues on my car it changed everything for me, which is why I waited a couple of months before I decided to go out and make my statement about the mod.

Harrry has built quite a few of these throttle bodies, as well as custom stopping plates so the throttle body wont open too far at WOT. Anyways, I wanted to give credit where credit was due.

What year mustang. I'm assuming from the 96-04 GT

96-02 I believe from the 4.6L I know there are a couple that will not work that were on the later year 4.6L motors.

Also, aftermarket throttle bodies wont work; has to be a factory one.

First off, why does it have to be a stock TB? and also, is it confirmed that it is 96-04 GT?

the aftermarket ones wont fit right, plus going over 65MM could hurt performance because of the size of the MAF, and its too big for the size of the intake manifold.

Realistically, if you get a mustang throttle body you should have a bigger MAF, but I never changed mine and it performs brilliantly.

so 96-04 GT? :) :)

the aftermarket ones wont fit right, plus going over 65MM could hurt performance because of the size of the MAF, and its too big for the size of the intake manifold.

Realistically, if you get a mustang throttle body you should have a bigger MAF, but I never changed mine and it performs brilliantly.

so 96-04 GT? :) :)

mustang Gt, crown vic, 1996 mercury cougars, ford f-150's that have the 4.6L engines.

These cars have 3 different style throttle body linkages.

IT just matters which one you want for what type of application.

But not all 65mm go on the same way. There is 3 types of how-tows to make these 65mm work on our cars.

After market throttle bodies do fit. And they can work on our cars. The problem with the upgraded tb's are too much flow. Which would be an over kill and i do not recommend this!!!!

One style of 65mm tbs...need a custom stopping plate. Which i have made for others and myself :)

So a few photos and lots of extra parts are needed. To help demostrait the proper modifications to successfully install a 65mm tb

NO STOCK 2.5L is going to maximize this modification. You must understand you will lose midrange power and some top end, to help reduce teh loss of power a tune is highly recomended. (Unless you have a 3L).

Remember more air=more fuel......So your mpg's will go down once you hit the higher rpms more so with this instead of your 60mm stock svt tb. This is a great mod for modded 2.5Ls intake headers etc etc. Even then it won't maximize the potential of the 65mm because the cars cfm flow needs are not limited from the tb.

If you do have a 65m and you want to correct the slack in your gas pedal. Please use 2 methods.

1. Zip ties start with 3 then proced to add more till you are happy with the pedals height.
2. Add plastic washers which will do the same but are easily removable.

The last note to add. The 65mm tb will only work on svt cars. The linkage on the regular contour is not able to be attached...unless you do Major modification. 2 ways of dong this also. But lets stick with the svt for now :)

Will any 65mm TBs fit on the Taurus UIM with its integrated IAC?

It will fit but the iac won't work on it. SicSe has a 70mm on his taurus split port. I'm hoping he can shed some light on this subject when he gets back on. I'd really like for him to do a how-to for an install of a 65mm or 70mm on the taurus UIM.

All you really need is a way to get air from between the MAF and the throttle plate to the hole in the upper part of the UIM/throttle body mating area. It would be theoretically simple to design a spacer to go in between the throttle body and UIM that would allow the non-IAC TB to attach normally, but reduce the rectangular IAC air input to a circular nozzle so that a hose could be hooked up then routed to the intake tube.

All you really need is a way to get air from between the MAF and the throttle plate to the hole in the upper part of the UIM/throttle body mating area. It would be theoretically simple to design a spacer to go in between the throttle body and UIM that would allow the non-IAC TB to attach normally, but reduce the rectangular IAC air input to a circular nozzle so that a hose could be hooked up then routed to the intake tube.

Thats an idea that has been dicussed...but not many use a 65mm on a taurus 3.0:shrug:

Hey go for it if you want. :)

Any specific reason? Just because it's hard? I figure if it would help the 2.5 it'd definitely help the 3.0. Either way, side projects aren't in the budget right now.

Thats the thing...who is willing to build this for the taurus guys? :shrug:

I put my 65mm up to my 2004 Taurus Manifold and unlike an SVT manifold, the hole in the 2004 manifold is a bit smaller than 65mm, leaving a sharp edge that can't be good for airflow. I guess the plastic could be machined down to create a bigger hole. I may try this.

Alright guys, I acquired a 65mm crown vic TB and Im ready to throw it on. I hope its worth it.

Mods I have now:

MSDS headers
Truebendz Y-pipe (no cat)
bassani catback
KKM intake with BAT intake pipe.

I figure its time to make the thing breath alittle better. I have done quite abit of searching on the 65MM and it just seems like everyone has their own opinion. ANYWAYS, is there an official writeup on installing the TB on our cars? I kept reading how easy it was, then I found a writeup on NECO but it seemed pretty involved. THANKS!

-- Cameron

Alright guys, I acquired a 65mm crown vic TB and Im ready to throw it on. I hope its worth it.

Mods I have now:

MSDS headers
Truebendz Y-pipe (no cat)
bassani catback
KKM intake with BAT intake pipe.

I figure its time to make the thing breath alittle better. I have done quite abit of searching on the 65MM and it just seems like everyone has their own opinion. ANYWAYS, is there an official writeup on installing the TB on our cars? I kept reading how easy it was, then I found a writeup on NECO but it seemed pretty involved. THANKS!

-- Cameron

I can do a write up of how to install it. In all honesty it's really easy :)

Back