• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

non-SVT duratec question

thanks, just says suspension changes in 98, what did they do? how much better is it?

does the SVT have the same suspension as the sport?

i know ive been looking at this:

Suspension specs pre-1998

F spring R spring F strut R strut F bar R bar

SE 24 kn/m 21 kn/m sport sport 20mm(.79) 19mm(.75)

Suspension specs 1998

SE 20 kn/m 16 kn/m sport sport 20mm(.79) 19mm(.75)

Suspension specs 1998.5

SE 6-cyl 20 kn/m 16 kn/m sport sport 20mm(.79) 18mm(.71)

i dont get what it all means, does the pre98 SE have the best suspension of all the contours?

Depends on who you ask. It appears that the pre98 SE had higher spring rates, making those springs stiffer than later models.

The early 98 SVT had the same struts and springs as the non SVT with V6 and manual trans. The late 98 and newer SVT were equipped with revised front struts that better controlled front dive on braking and lift on acceleration. The SVT uses different anti-roll bars.

The front struts and front springs are configured differently on the Pre 98. and are not interchangeable with the later ones unless you swap the entire assembly (struts, matching springs, and matching hardware).

What are you trying to do?

The BAT catalog gives a pretty good description of what the suspension differences were.

Last edited:
The early 98 SVT had the same struts and springs as the non SVT with V6 and manual trans. The late 98 and newer SVT were equipped with revised front struts that better controlled front dive on braking and lift on acceleration. The SVT uses different anti-roll bars.

The front struts and front springs are configured differently on the Pre 98. and are not interchangeable with the later ones unless you swap the entire assembly (struts, matching springs, and matching hardware).

What are you trying to do?

im not trying to interchange anything, just trying to figure out which stock contour has the best handling. looks light im leaning towards a 96-97 se.

Depends on how you define the term. 95 to 97 SE has a firmer ride and handles well. 98.5 and newer SVT is a bit more supple, but still handles well. Neither of them compare to what the car is capable of.

I want stock height. The front bumper gets injured enough as it is, and I would have driveway clearance problems is I lowered it. I would not mind somewhat stiffer springs and shocks, but stiffer springs with stock ride height don't exist.

im not trying to interchange anything, just trying to figure out which stock contour has the best handling. looks light im leaning towards a 96-97 se.

I would suggest that you purchase whatever Contour is in the best shape, most likely newer than a '97 because of wire harness issues, and bolt on a nice suspension kit from BATinc.net or find a deal on the Koni Sport kit. Both of those will outperform the stock suspension and you'll have the added pleasure of potentially owning an SVT if you can grab one for a reasonable price.

Back