• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

weight/power savings from a/c delete?

.... Is there a way to re-route the serpentine belt without going over the a/c pulley ...

Yes, you can get the shorter serpentine belt (non a/c belt). Try that first and see how much extra power (butt dyno is pretty good here) you are getting before "doing surgery". IIRC the belt is $20 or something like that. The routing diagram should be by the passenger side strut tower.
www.teamfordparts.com

Last edited:
The difference will be negligible. The compressor is free-wheeling, it's nothing more than an idler when the AC is off. His claims of a huge difference in throttle response are BS, if he felt any difference, it's in his head.

Josh is 100% correct on this one. With the A/C off, the car is just spinning a free pulley. There is no way you can feel a difference on that one. And the huge difference in throttle response made me lol. :D

DUDE NO WAY! just get a mad shorty intake for that tight throttle response! (i cant believe he used more than 4 words in a sentence)

do not take ac out!

so many idiots at UTI (civic/integra) take the ac/power steering out to save weight and hope for performance and in the winter it looks like they are trying to roll a 100ft snowball up a hill, they freeze there asses off while working up a sweat turning the wheel. but they get 5 hp though so its worth it plus better throttle response....

SIKE!

I test drove a 04 srt-4 last week with power steering removed and the dealership was asking 17k, I was just thinking to myself no way are they going to sell the car. I couldn't imagine driving a car everyday without power steering, even at 10mph speeds it was still too difficult to turn for my liking.

I test drove a 04 srt-4 last week with power steering removed and the dealership was asking 17k, I was just thinking to myself no way are they going to sell the car. I couldn't imagine driving a car everyday without power steering, even at 10mph speeds it was still too difficult to turn for my liking.

Yeah, removing that kind of stuff is stupid in my opinion! Especially on a boosted car... just turn the boost up 1/2 psi and you will feel/gain more power than the combind removal of a/c, powersteering, and whatever other crap kids remove these days! :crazy:

Removing it would be really stupid.

If anything do what others have said and just place the belt with a non ac belt.

The shorter the belt the quicker and less work is done from teh crank.
In this case the non ac belt isn't that much shorter and would be a waste of time/money.

Good luck though tell us what you eventually decide.

k well we removed it on my friends 96 civic b18 and we noticed quite a bit of difference on everything.. guess everyone has there own opinion on things...

k well we removed it on my friends 96 civic b18 and we noticed quite a bit of difference on everything.. guess everyone has there own opinion on things...

you'll notice a huge difference in your throttle response...

Is a 96 civic b18 the same car as a 9x Contour? It's not an OPINION on anything, it may have made a difference on THAT car, but the FACT is that it makes no difference on the car at hand.

Also note that you made no reference to your experience being from another vehicle, someone who doesn't know any better reads your statement and pulls his system out for nothing....that's helpful to the community :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back