• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

All-out N/A WHP. guesses?

TRicker

Hard-core CEG'er
Okay here's the point of the post. estimate the HP a 3L could make with all of this done to it:

03' 3L taurus block:

all internals stock

SVT cams
SVT upper intake (untouched)
Buckshot motorsports Lower Intake Manifold
Port matched 3L heads to 2.5L intakes
EGR delete
70mm Mustang TB (optimized)
Pro-Flo 75MM maf
K&N intake w/MAF adaptor
Dual Mode Dampner
Power Steering and ALT underdrive pulleys
A/C deleted
MSD dis-4 ignition (whatever plugs you want)
168* thermostat
Stock cooling components and SVT oil cooler
Weapon R headers, WR y pipe, 2.5" trubendz catback non-res and one magnaflow muffler.

You would be tuning with a XCAL2 PRP with tons of dyno time on your hands. Race gas is an option.

gimme your imaginary numbers.

I think the 70 mm TB is going to overkill.
Pro-M 75 mm TB and a tune?? Why both?

Im going to say 220 whp also on pump gas. On race fuel...well, depends what octane.

I figured it would make more than that.... i guess we'll see in the spring. i'm gonna start hoarding the couple parts i need to get it done. then i'll get a blower on it ;)

well guys like blackcoog made 225 WHP with what my car has on it right now. many people make in the 200 range with what i have. i thought that i could coax the car to 220 or close with what i have and a lot of dyno time, and then with the bigger MAF and TB bring it up a couple ponies. a solid 230 and 200 trq at the wheels would be fun. either way it's not enough though.

for me, going from 295 on the bottle and a 2.5L to a 3L is fairly fun, but still isnt enough. the car still hauls. but i want more, and it would be fun to see what i can do with it just tweaking the little things and stepping up sizes of intake side components. i'll definately have some before and after dynos. starting with the untuned 3L this spring and going from there.

you'll say that for about five seconds of having it. then you'll want a 100 shot. after that, you'll just be too scared to jet up any more.

a 100 shot kicks you in the A$$ though. i surely miss it. but after i sold the kit, i was able to get a 3L finished up, with mods; a new suspension, and suspension bushings and end links, etc. all that made the car more fun in general.... all i need to do now is get the small mods that don't do much to make it the way i want... and a little cosmetic love.

well guys like blackcoog made 225 WHP with what my car has on it right now. many people make in the 200 range with what i have. i thought that i could coax the car to 220 or close with what i have and a lot of dyno time, and then with the bigger MAF and TB bring it up a couple ponies. a solid 230 and 200 trq at the wheels would be fun. either way it's not enough though.

The MAF won't give you anything if you are tuning through the PCM. The only way it will help is if you have pegged the stock MAF which won't happen at that power level (unless you add the bottle). As for the TB, a 70mm TB "may" give you better tip in throttle response but you may end up sacrificing velocity at WOT which is critical in a NA motor. I'd say what you are adding on top of Blackcoog build is really negligible and any HP above that could be attributed to dyno variances.

My suggestion would be run the MAF if you have it already (only if you have the transfer function) otherwise stick with the stocker. As for the TB, try the 70mm one but also dyno it with a 65mm one as well and post results. I did quite well with a 65mm TB on my build and felt no reason to go bigger.

A good 3L should dyno over 240whp in my opinion. The fact that is hasn't is pretty crazy in my opinion. I was shooting for 200whp with my 2.5L before it had an encounter with a telephone pole.

A good 3L should dyno over 240whp in my opinion. The fact that is hasn't is pretty crazy in my opinion. I was shooting for 200whp with my 2.5L before it had an encounter with a telephone pole.

I agree, i don't see why a 3.0l can't hit 240 whp.

If you want to get custom cams done, full 3L with bolt ons and cams. 65mm TB MAX. Cams would be needed for exceptional power. A well tuned full oval 3L with all bolt ons should put down ~215-220whp on a dynojet. Minor mods on full oval 3L engines are making 200-210whp, these are well tuned (13.5:1 A/F).

Otherwise, full split port 3L engine. Add;
-SVT cams
-65mm TB MAX
-full exhaust system (2.5" OD MAX for the catback)
-the larger plenum of the split port 3L is a must, even for a 2.5L.
-Headwork; If you're going to so this, do it right. Otherwise, just leave them alone.

-Proper valve unshrouding
-Proper cleanup of the bowl region
-shrink the port size down

This would make excellant power, ~235-250whp on a dynojet.

I don't think it's that far of a stretch but it depends what kind of dyno you are using. Like rac74 was saying on a dynojet it'd be easier. I've only ever dynoed on a dyno dynamics setup which I've heard is the lowest reading of the bunch (less than mustang or dynojet). Maybe I should just make a trip over to a dynojet for better numbers :) I also could lean my car out for a few more ponies getting it up closer to the mark.

TRicker you wanna challenge me to an all motor dyno pull in the spring? You pick the dyno sally :p

Back