• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Intake idea

xtascox

Hard-core CEG'er
After doing some thinking I got to wondering about an idea. I was thinking about getting a different filter that is open on the end doing a custom hood scoop with a duct going right into the end of the filter so that all air from the scoop goes to the intake. Should give some better intake performance at higher speeds.
Any thoughts?

PM ZeroHour (he resides in the Northeast CEG) to ask him how he constructed his hood scoop. People always make fun of him for it looking like a "mailbox" but I think it looks nice and it is COMPLETELY FUNCTIONAL. And as for the intake, check out this thread

And here's a couple pics of ZeroHour's car:
HPIM3323.jpg

HPIM3328.jpg

Well if it does, the ducting should keep it localized the the end of the filter. The rest of it should stay dry. Water shouldn't make it past the filter right?

Or maybe I'll work on a cover that can seal the hood scoop when its raining.

I think that you're thinking too hard about this. Subtlety is key. The more complex it is, the more likely it is to fail. Less is more. Yadda yadda yadda you get the point. The only thing I can think of is maybe screen the opening somehow, if you know what I mean. But I do like you're idea of offsetting the scoop, it would be very original and very functional.

I think that you're thinking too hard about this. Subtlety is key. The more complex it is, the more likely it is to fail. Less is more. Yadda yadda yadda you get the point. The only thing I can think of is maybe screen the opening somehow, if you know what I mean. But I do like you're idea of offsetting the scoop, it would be very original and very functional.

Thanks, yea your right... too much thought = problems.:crazy:

question I have for you is how you going to connect the tube to the filter with the hood closed? or keep it connected with it opening and closing?

Keep it connected. Im thinkin of using some sort of flex rubber pipe kind of like the stock part that runs from the MAF to the throttle body. If that doesn't work ill figure somethin.

question I have for you is how you going to connect the tube to the filter with the hood closed? or keep it connected with it opening and closing?

should be able to make a box that seals when the hood is closed. i was thinking about making the same thing just like the first pic in top shop hood thread in exterior

Last edited:
should be able to make a box that seals when the hood is closed. i was thinking about making the same thing just like the first pic in top shop hood thread in exterior

Exactly - take a look at the idea I just posed on that - I think I'm on to somthing :cool:

Well I'm going to try to find another hood to do the work on just in case something goes wrong. It will give me something to do besides hurt myself on a snowboard all winter...

Best of luck show us some pics along the way.

If anything i would try to cut a hole in the intake box leading Up too the hood. Then put a foam circular tube about 1 inch in height for a proper seal between the hood and intake box.

IMHO i think a hood scoop would look ghetto. i would rather order the real hood for our cars.

Back