• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

installing headers

chinaski

CEG'er
how difficult is it to install headers and mil eliminators on an svt? i dont want to have to pay a shop to install them.
im gettin a financial aid check from school and it looks like its goin to go to a set of headers.:laugh:

how difficult is it to install headers and mil eliminators on an svt? i dont want to have to pay a shop to install them.
im gettin a financial aid check from school and it looks like its goin to go to a set of headers.:laugh:

On a scale of 1 to 10.... Headers suck :laugh: they are really a pain to put in, doable but not easy by any means. If you want a rough estimate for yourself, jack the car up securely, climb under there and see how many of the manifold studs you can even see :help:

Thus is why everyone suggests buying them if you have the engine out, saves so much trouble later down the road. I'm sure you could find a lot of individual experiences by searching but it took me probably between 8 and 10 hours engine in the car (it was a long time ago).

Buy/borrow a 13mm flex head wrench before tackling this project. You'll thank yourself later.

If you have access, a lift is a boon to installing headers... you have to move around so much and get into all the nooks and crannys to get to the bolts... I had to use 2 u-joints and a couple of long extensions just to reach the bolts on the rear manifold.

I'd say that putting headers on this car was the 2nd hardest thing I've done with cars. 1st was trying to separate the engine/tranny on a 1983 Toyota Tercel... engine mounted longitudinally (front-back) with the rear of the engine inside a small tunnel made the tranny bolts impossible to get to without some weird offset wrench. Ended up yanking the whole shebang out.

How To:
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...272039&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=2&fpart=1
FAQ:
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...2533&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1

You can do it if you have the time, but it is not a easy job. If this is your first set i would leave a few days open when you don’t need the car. For reference it took me 2.5 days working like 6-7 hrs a day with a few breaks to cool down so I didn’t break anything. I took my time and didn’t rush anything, other cegs did it in one day.

Good luck and if you do decide to do it, we will try hard to answer all your questions.

it isn't all that hard if you drop the subframe as its what blocks most of your access. at that point the rear header is the easier one and most say that the front is the easier one :laugh:

I know first hand on this one ...

Tis a bit of a PITA but as long as you have all the tools/extensions listed in the how-to, it's easier.

Hardest part is getting the nuts off the studs. They are hard to get at, that's where the extensions come in. Odd angle to work in, it's a pain to get the extensions on but it's doable. Same goes for the re-install.

We didn't drop the sub-frame nor did we remove the alternator.

PB Blaster is your friend. Since this is your first time, take your time. Make sure you have a few days for this project, spray everything with the PB the night before you start, give it another shot before you actually start wrenching.

The first install took us about 11-12 hours, but we were in no hurry. Our second install went much easier and now we are going to be installing a third set. :cool:

The best advice I can give you: Review the how-to!, have all the parts that you need available, have a friend lend a hand, and take your time.

Not the easiest but you can do it with some patients and time. You'll be pretty happy once it's done and you fire the car up. :) Plus, you will have pride in knowing that you did the work yourself.

Good luck! We're here to help if you need us.

Yea it's not fun. I actually find the rear easier to do than the front.

I've done it about 5 times, still takes me about 5-6 hours to install/reinstall the headers.

On a semi-related note, what's the difference between the $726 headers and y-pipe from MSDS and the coated headers/y-pipe combo from Nautilus for $545?

not entirely sure but I know the MSDS kit comes with gaskets, mils, etc and possible Nautilus from the looks of the web site only sells the headers/y-pipe and not the other things you get from MSDS with the kit ..

I did mine(first time) with no help from anyone with experience at my school's shop on a lift and I finished in less than 8 hours. Luckily EVERY one of my studs was stuck to the nut so I didn't have to also break the studs loose. I wouldn't attempt it on jack stands though, as it would be too hard on your body and too dark and hard to get leverage.

Todras helped me install a set of MSDS ones on my car and it took us about 12 hours to do it. It was not a lot of fun and I don't ever want to do that again.

Just so that you know, on my car, I did not install MIL's and never got a code or a check engine light. I would check it about once a month and never got one. Also for the first week of having them on the car ran really rough and then ran fine, until I spun a bearing.

Todras helped me install a set of MSDS ones on my car and it took us about 12 hours to do it. It was not a lot of fun and I don't ever want to do that again.

If it takes this long to install headers when you know what you're doing, I think I would do a 3L swap and install the headers when it's on the engine stand. It might save some time.

Back