• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

guidance please

kaighn80

New CEG'er
How do peeps. i'm looking for some guidance for a big power 2.5 v6, the issue is i live in the UK and parts never really made it over here, the engine was never really that popular for tuning because most people went with a zetec four pot if they were trying to build something special. i have two engines that i will eventually be working on, one is in an st200 estate that is my daily driver, it gets all the good jobs like dragging the family around and picking up the shopping. the other engine is going into a kit car. the kit car is the one that i'm looking to get big power from, so far I've bought a t4 turbo, stainless manifolds, 90mm throttle body, intercooler and all the ancillaries to put that lot together. i know i'm going to need to do work inside the engine but where can i get some good pistons and rods?

Then the next weakest item is going to be the gearbox, how much power are they likely to hold before becoming a grenade? what needs doing to help stop that from happening.

The kit car is a gtm ballista and should only weigh around 600-700kg

Diamond Pistons and K1 rods would be advised for the Engine.
If you can find a 3.0l donor, that would be highly advised if your going for a high power build.
These guys sell some of the parts you might be interested in on your side of the pond...Just pay attention that your not looking at ST220 stuff...any engine with VVT has some significant differences. The Pistons would probably work but not the cams.
Burton Power sells quite a bit of stuff on your side too, including a lot of transmission upgrades that we don't really have over here.
If money is no object, they have a heavy duty gearkit, but at a bare minimum you will want an LSD.

If you're not building custom headers, MSDS makes the most common set we use over here.
If you need someone in the US to receive and forward parts to you, I'm sure someone would be willing to help, but it honestly seems like there's very little available to us that's not available to you, and most of our suppliers are probably willing to ship internationally I would imagine.

next question, injectors. what size are standard? as in how much fuel do they flow, im going to need to upgrade them and i may have a lead for some 42lb per hour for only £40 delivered. ill have to get them checked but i live near someone who can do that for me.

next question, injectors. what size are standard? as in how much fuel do they flow, im going to need to upgrade them and i may have a lead for some 42lb per hour for only £40 delivered. ill have to get them checked but i live near someone who can do that for me.

For Naturally aspirated cars:
17# for the base 2.5l
19# for the ST200
24# seems to be the standard for the 3.0l engines but I pulled 27# injectors out of my donor, and I believe 21# has also been used.

Start with the right sized injector for your existing tune. If you want to move up later, than do it when you figure out how to manage the tuning. You will certainly need larger injectors when you start adding boost, but if you want to get the car running NA first, use the stock size.
There are plenty of websites that can calculate what size injectors you need for your boost.

Back