3L Hybrid Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3L Hybrid Rebuild

Ok, spending about $6k on having my 3L Hybrid rebuilt, again. Back in 2007 one of the pistons shattered and had to have it rebuilt. Happened again recently. It's worth putting the money into the car because I've spent way too much time and money on it, and frankly, I can't get anything close to this cool of a car for $6k. Plus with all of the upgrades it's worth it to me.

So, question is what internals should I beef up to keep from having to rebuild in another 10 years? I'm already going for forged pistons. Anything else a weak spot that I should be aware of?
    99 Black SVT -3L Hybrid, Spec flywheel, MSDS, CAI, 17" Konig Tantrums, Optimized TB & Y, Baer BBK, Bassani cat-back w/ magnaflow res, Koni's w/ H&R

'06 Volvo V50 T5 AWD MTX- Stock

I think most would install forged pistons and rods. CSVT#49 also had oil squirters installed in his block for his turbo built, iirc. Make sure to use a good set of quality bearings also on the rebuild of course.
    - 12 Focus SE
    - 99 Contour SeVT <- 3L/NPG Turbo
    - 2k Contour SVT - #2137

Comment

.... was reading a discussion about ARP studs and the pro's and cons ... mostly the cost.

Having a hybrid and higher compression ... could be just the excuse to have the superior clamping capabilities of the 253 4701 kit ...G.

IIrc Beans could tell you where to get the bottom end studs from .. I know he wanted them for his last build not sure if he's got some now.
      ST24. LPG, 2001 ST200 motor, 65mm P&P'd TB, 80mm MAF, headers, lowered, sway bars and strut braces, 300/278mm brakes, 3.51 FD 3.0L tranny, Torsen, Fidanza.... Vortech nearly completed.

WANTED; Custom gauge guru for ST200 overlay job... pm me..

Comment

Do I recall Clevite being the best bearing choice?

On those studs, I see them on Summit's website. Pardon my ignorance, but there are bottom end studs that may need upgraded too? I'm not super technical on this stuff. Benefits of the upgraded studs? More or less making a list for this rebuild. Thanks!

Also, part numbers for the forged rods I should look for?
        99 Black SVT -3L Hybrid, Spec flywheel, MSDS, CAI, 17" Konig Tantrums, Optimized TB & Y, Baer BBK, Bassani cat-back w/ magnaflow res, Koni's w/ H&R

Comment

... number one ... studs are re-usable, two, the studs are designed to take the abuse you are going to dish out.

I watched a turbo'd 5 cylinder Volvo engine (same 2.5l focus engine) having its' heads torqued down then loosened off and then re-torqued (to compress the head gasket), you can't do that with OEM head studs. Ask Crewchiefpro about this ... he'll know all about why professional engine builders do this.

Some forged con rods are supplied with ARP studs, depending on where you get your deal. The rest of the bottom end studs may still be supplied by one of the guys on this forum ... G.
          ST24. LPG, 2001 ST200 motor, 65mm P&P'd TB, 80mm MAF, headers, lowered, sway bars and strut braces, 300/278mm brakes, 3.51 FD 3.0L tranny, Torsen, Fidanza.... Vortech nearly completed.

Comment

Forged rods and pistons with heavy duty wrist pins. Bearing brands are not important, as long as oil get where it is supposed to be they don't touch anything. None are stronger than the other, or better. ARP head studs and main studs if you want to be bullet proof. The ability to retorque head bolts is very important. After a few heat cycles it is important to verify the clamping loads are at spec.

​I went with Weisco pistons and the K1 Rods. Weisco has everything and I talked to Vic. I don't know part numbers but he can look up my info if you are running a turbo.

What about the trans? Have you done anything to it?

​I feel the same way you do, where else can you find a car this fun for very little money. Properly built it will survive about anything.
            Don Higgins
            Crew Chief Pro Drag Racing Software
            http://www.crewchiefpro.com
            1999 3.0 Turbo CSVT ** 2013 American Dragster with 1100 Horsepower 7.28 @ 185 mph

Comment

It's not turbo, but I want to be able to drive it like I stole it, and not worry about anything. The transmission is stock, other than a Fidanza flywheel, which isn't really the transmission I know. But I've never had any issues with the transmission other than if trying to shift too quickly into third.

So forged pistons, rods, and heavy duty wrist pins. Then ARP head studs and main studs. Does that basically cover it?

Comment

You need both forged rods, and pistons. That will about cover the rotating assembly. ARP studs will help keep it all sealed. Transmission may turn into the weak point after all that.
                Don Higgins
                Crew Chief Pro Drag Racing Software
                http://www.crewchiefpro.com
                1999 3.0 Turbo CSVT ** 2013 American Dragster with 1100 Horsepower 7.28 @ 185 mph

Comment

Originally posted by CLASSVT View Post
                  It's not turbo, but I want to be able to drive it like I stole it, and not worry about anything.
                  Glad you're being realistic.... if you don't have an air cooled oil cooler, then you should definitely install one...... you don't want to ruin all those nice engine parts with over heated oil.

I have an oil cooler and since installing it, my water temperature has been rock solid....G.

Comment

If you have the silver svt in California, that car was not a hybrid. Just a FYI
                    '98 SVT E0 BLK/MNB#1663 Forged Ovalport 3L Supercharged

Comment

I am not in CA. I have a black SVT and I'm in Indiana. Not sure why my signature doesn't show up anymore. It's definitely a hybrid. I had it built back in 2003 originally, then broke a piston in 2007. Rebuilt, and now here I am again.

I will never track the car, so repeated hard runs aren't likely at all. I will merely be driving on public roads and doing my best to raise hell without putting anyone in danger. So, not sure if the oil cooler is in the forecast for now, but definitely something to think about.

Thanks for everyone's help though! Let me know if there is anything else I should consider.

Comment

Does anyone have a resource for the forged rods? The shop is going to look around but wasn't sure if they had a source.

Comment

.... search K1 on the forum ....G.

Comment

I found them on Nautilus. I seem to recall there was some controversy as to how reliable or responsive Nautilus was, or maybe I'm thinking of someone else. I have the Nautilus CAI. Safe enough to order from them?

https://www.nautilusperformance.com/...ugar/p/9153797

Comment

I went ahead and ordered from Nautilus. Got the K1 rods and an ARP kit. I didn't realize BurritaSVT was the owner there. Had a good long talk about CSVT's, etc. Thanks for everyone's help!

Comment

Working...
                              X