Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrApple View Post
    well there ya go .... the one on the right is of course a non-SVT radiator
    awesome, Im kind of excited. I mean i know that the svt capabilities are a little over what I need, but the fact that i found this radiator for $75 is amazing. I really just wanted to make sure the 3L im installing never has a cooling problem because it has 12000 miles, im also installing an oil cooler and a 180 degree thermostat :)

Comment

Again there are many 3L running around with a non-SVT radiator. Most if not all Cougars with 3Ls do not swap out the radiator.

Also, imho, don't run a 180 degree thermostat. There is no need for it. The PCM is setup to work with the factory 190 degree thermostat. Having watched coolant temps they have always ranged from 190 to 212 degrees, where the low speed fan kicks on.

I even still have a 190 degree thermostat is my 3L turbo. I lowered the low speed fan turn on point, and I have had no issues with cooling.

So basically, I wouldn't worry about it .... unless plan to do nothing but race the car.
      - 12 Focus SE
      - 99 Contour SeVT <- 3L/NPG Turbo
      - 2k Contour SVT - #2137

Comment

Originally posted by BrApple View Post
        Again there are many 3L running around with a non-SVT radiator. Most if not all Cougars with 3Ls do not swap out the radiator.

Also, imho, don't run a 180 degree thermostat. There is no need for it. The PCM is setup to work with the factory 190 degree thermostat. Having watched coolant temps they have always ranged from 190 to 212 degrees, where the low speed fan kicks on.

I even still have a 190 degree thermostat is my 3L turbo. I lowered the low speed fan turn on point, and I have had no issues with cooling.

So basically, I wouldn't worry about it .... unless plan to do nothing but race the car.

Thanks for your input. I don't know how much this changes anything (if at all) but Joey at NPG is making me a custom tune for the 3L and I also ordered the headers and cold air intake from him. I mentioned the thermostat to him and I think he mentioned something about changing what temperature the fans turn on. I probably could have kept the 190, in heinsight, but i was just being extra cautious for some reason. What I like about the radiator though, is that the cooling should be plenty suffient even if i were to add turbos, or anything else down the road.

Comment

Fan set point for when they turn on can be set from the XCAL itself, doesn't have to be written into the tune.
          - 12 Focus SE
          - 99 Contour SeVT <- 3L/NPG Turbo
          - 2k Contour SVT - #2137

Comment

1987 Mercury Sable Radiator is about the same as SVT radiator. I dont remember how I dealt with the filler neck but I had this radiator on there for years. Found it in a barn at the junkyard and it was in mint condition, obviously had been sitting there for 15 years or so.

Might be worth a look if you can find an oem one or a aftermarket one that is an actual 2 row.
            95 SeVT 3.0L
            Audi A4 From Hell

Comment

Working...
            X