• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Backup lights not working?

Flood

CEG'er
Well, we checked all the lights on my CSVT today, and when I went to check the backup lights, they didn't come on. Is there a specific fuse for them? Both the bulbs are good, and all the wiring around them seems to be fine. What could be causing this, and where would the fuse be located in the fuse box, if there is one?

Thanks.

Backup lights are fuse 23 in the panel under the dash, 15A IIRC. This fuse and circuit is also the control for the turn signals and the heater blower motor relay, so neither turn signals or heater blower will work if 23 is blown.

If you have heat and turn signals, look elsewhere, it isn't the fuse.

I am resurrecting my own thread in the name of fixing this problem. I never got around to it before, too many other things were bothering me about the car. Now I'm down to this. Anyways, Where on the shift tower is the switch for the reverse lights? I'd like to check that before I change the one in the trans.

its the big plug on the top. the switch itself actually bolts to the shift tower and you can remove it to inspect the pin inside. in the case of the Focus i just bought, that pin was sheared off and thus the car was stuck in 2nd gear.

No Title

Hate to resurrect this thread, but..Im in a similar position.

My lights dont work, I've removed/cleaned the switch on the trans, no change....I've pulled the boot on My shifter, but see no other switch/wiring others talk about? I appear to have a 'welded base' style tower, if that helps?

If it is just the trans mounted unit, has anyone taken one apart and fixed theirs, since the bloody things are pricey up here.

98 SE 2.5/MTX

Attachments

• photo17537.JPG
    photo17537.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • photo17538.JPG
    photo17538.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
They are talking about under the hood onto of the trans where the shifter cables attach to the Shift Tower.. So you won't find it inside your car..lol

I just figured this out on my car. The wire was broken by the hinge in the trunk. There is a lot of movement there and the wire broke in half.

Back