• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

$1400 for a new clutch??

chewbaccajones

New CEG'er
So, I think my clutch is about to go. It lets out at the VERY top of the pedal. I have been quoted between $1300 and $1500 for parts/labor. This is what a sweet twin disc setup would have cost in my Terminator. The clutch kit is around $450, they quote 9 hours labor (?) and various other normal thing like flywheel resurfacing. Hell, I paid $5k for the car last year and 20k miles ago so $1500 pretty much totals the car. I can't afford a new (or even another used) car at this time. Any suggestions...besides doing it myself (can't) or sinking it in the lake (j/k)?

Parts are pretty cheap. But the transaxle is the part with the MOST labor hours of anything.

I did mine myself; it was truly a nightmare.

i usually charge around 850 total, parts included

Mine was $1k in 2002, that's the last time I paid for a shop to install a clutch.... stock clutch too

If your looking to get stock...

Clutch kit from Tousley is $200 with a TO Bearing.

Pressure PLate
Throwout bearing
and Clutch Disk

Its stock, but it gets the job done.

Look around town @ tranny shops. Find one that doesnt have alot of current buisness... Walk in and say, hey, would you do a clutch on this for $600 Labor.
Whats the worst they say? No?

Or lowball and say something like $450 labor... They say no, say well what would you charge. When they respond with $1k or something retarded say thanks, but if you cant come down, ill find some one who will.

Most places that are slow, ARE hurting for Buisness. Dont be a dick, but be frugal about it.

Also of note - the SVT clutch kit is actually cheaper, so if you have a NON-SVT car, you can upgrade for less money than a stock replacement.

Also of note - the SVT clutch kit is actually cheaper, so if you have a NON-SVT car, you can upgrade for less money than a stock replacement.

Yup. I noticed that on Tousley Ford's website. Order a SVT kit for the $200+ and see if there is a CEG'er who will do it. I had one come from 250 miles away for a couple hundred and a beat up mirko....took about 11 hours to do.

something else to note is that the clutch engaging towards the top of the pedal is normal for these cars. its possible that there is actually nothing wrong with the clutch. going about 15-20MPH, put the car in 5th gear and step on it. if the engine revs up faster than you accelerate, then your clutch is slipping and you should be looking to replace it. if it doesnt slip, then just keep driving it.

FWIW, the stock clutch in my old Zetec grabbed perfect and never slipped for 241K miles. the only reason i replaced it was because one of the dampening springs exploded.

I thought Ray said 5th.

I have always heard with a test like this you want to use the gear that is closest to 1:1 which would be 4th in our case. this way the speed and rpm should increase at the same rate. with a non-svt the tach and speedo are at the same angle on the guage so it would be easy to tell if the clutch is slipping as they wouldn't be the same. the SVT isn't but the idea holds the same.

I have always heard with a test like this you want to use the gear that is closest to 1:1 which would be 4th in our case. this way the speed and rpm should increase at the same rate. with a non-svt the tach and speedo are at the same angle on the guage so it would be easy to tell if the clutch is slipping as they wouldn't be the same. the SVT isn't but the idea holds the same.

What about with a final drive change?

Back