• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine tick/knocking noise

Siegelj8013

CEG'er
Hello everyone. I have recently acquired the #29 contour svt from blu_fuz, and I absolutely love the car. Most solid contour I have ever driven, and it is very solid. I fear the engine may be on its way out though. I can hear a ticking noise while inside the car if I accelerate, but it is only while accelerating. Everything sounds perfectly normal if coasting or lightly accelerating. It ticks louder the harder you press the pedal, and the tick noise increases with the rpms. I just drove the car about 400 miles all highway, and the engine did not feel bad, and actually got fantastic fuel economy. I can hear a kind of ticking/knocking noise while the engine is idling though. My main fear is that it could be rod knock, but I also feel like I surely would have thrown a rod on a long trip like that if the rods were the problem. I also do not necessarily want to go 3L if the engine fails because I want to try to keep the car all original if possible. If anyone knows what it may be, please let me know. I still have to drive the car another 500 miles home from where I am on vacation. I could try to post a video if that may help.

John

Back