• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Water pump replacement

Swami

CEG'er
I have 50K miles on my 2.5 and everything is running perfectly, but I have heard that the water pumps with nylon impellers give out around this time. Should I wait until it fails or replace it early?

If so, how much of a PITA​ is it?

I would go ahead and replace it, you don't want to get stuck on the side of the road, or worse, overheat the engine. I had one fail years ago and was lucky enough to notice the temperature hand before it was too late. It's very easy to change and replacements with the metal impeller means no more worries.

There were two types of plastic impellers, one white, the other black. The problem was with the earlier type of impeller, it would disintegrate over time, I'm not sure which was which, though. When I first heard of this problem I replaced my plastic impeller pump with an aftermarket part that had a metal impeller thinking that I avoided the problem, but the bearings went and It began to leak after 25K miles. I replaced it with a Motorcraft pump with the proper color plastic, meaning good quality, and I haven't had any problems. I think if you buy a Motorcraft pump it will probably be the improved type since the stock of earlier pumps are long gone. Do some searching in the archives and you will be able to find out which pump to look for.

There were two types of plastic impellers, one white, the other black. The problem was with the earlier type of impeller, it would disintegrate over time, I'm not sure which was which, though. When I first heard of this problem I replaced my plastic impeller pump with an aftermarket part that had a metal impeller thinking that I avoided the problem, but the bearings went and It began to leak after 25K miles. I replaced it with a Motorcraft pump with the proper color plastic, meaning good quality, and I haven't had any problems. I think if you buy a Motorcraft pump it will probably be the improved type since the stock of earlier pumps are long gone. Do some searching in the archives and you will be able to find out which pump to look for.

This is absolutely correct. IMHO, don't bother with the metal impeller pump.

to the OP, what year is your car? Only pre98s had the black impellers. The change over was in early 99, iirc as my 99 had the white plastic impeller.

It's fine, it's a later pump with the right impeller, and if it's not leaking, don't fix what isn't broken.

Fear not, it's a Contour, something else will break soon.

Back