• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Timing Chain Service/Cover Replacement

I just had my 98 CSVT looked at for an oil leak that seemed to pop up over the winter when I had the car stored. This place is called Classic Automotive Repair in Michigan and they explained that the "worst" leak was the timing cover and they would have to remove the engine to do so, which made them give they're opinion(that no one asked for) that I shouldn't worry about it cause the car isn't worth it. Is this correct that the engine needs to be removed guys?

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

No its not correct. Its just easier to do.

and, Hi, i met you in the junkyard a bit back.

(Untitled)

No its not correct. Its just easier to do.

and, Hi, i met you in the junkyard a bit back.

Oh yeah, how did the engine swap go btw?

I'll probably have to make it a week/weekend project and hopefully it doesn't rain.

(Untitled)

Another question, has anyone actually did this repair? I really want to degrease the engine in the process.

Are you sure it's the timing cover and not the power steering pump? I'm not the motor swap guy.

(Untitled)

Are you sure it's the timing cover and not the power steering pump? I'm not the motor swap guy.

I'm pretty sure because I just replaced the ps pump and high pressure hose. Did that when I was apprenticing at a shop so made sure it was done correctly.

Back