• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

suggestions?

SVT_Mystique

CEG'er
i need a little help from the pros here, i did a few searches but didn't come up with much on the problem.

ok so on my way to work today my car stalled out as i pushed the gas to accelerate. i just got finished pumping gas, started it up everything was fine then pulling out of the gas station it bogged down a little for a second then was ok til i got to a light. stopped at the light then gave it some gas and it just died. i tried starting it back up and it cranked over just fine like it was going to start but wouldn't. i let it sit for about 45 minutes and it started back up and idled very irratically and again when i pushed the gas it stalled right away. it has been sitting all day and won't start at all now, it just cranks over.

its a 2000 mystique with just over 70,000 miles

i just replaced the battery yesterday. the fuel pump and fuel filter have never been changed nor have the plugs and wires. also the engine has not been modified at all but i have the svt exhaust on it. a few of my buddies have told me that the car smells like gas when they were following me but i didn't think much of it because these cars tend to run rich.

the cel was on when the car started back up but i have no idea what the codes were. also the fan/ coolant light has come on everytime i start the car for the past month or so but the temp guage never even gets to half way.

does this sound familiar to anyone? any suggestions?

I would get the codes checked first. If that doesn't tell you the problem, then check the fuel pressure and change the fuel filter.

Although I don't think it is related, check the coolant level if your coolant light has been on.

thanks for the input alex, i can't get the car up to autozone to get the codes unfortunately, but i'm going to try replacing the fuel pump and fuel filter and see if that does the job.. any more input is greatly appreciated. thanks guys!

1) Buy a cheap code reader for $70.

2) Fill coolant reservoir to half inch above max line and the coolant light should turn off.

3) Most probably fuel pump. Buy a fuel pressure tester for about $50 to test. But change the fuel filter ($10) first and see if it helps.

Edit. If you do change out the fuel pump, throw away the pre-filter disc screen located inside the fuel tank. That usually is the cause of fuel pump issues for the returnless fuel tank system.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...allposts&Main=1259624&Search=true#Post1259727

Last edited:
Back