• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

has anyone ever tried contour cams in 3l port matched ?

art

CEG'er
so at the moment I am doing my engine rebuild with f1 rods , and cp pistons , and the rotating assemble balanced , and will rebuild my port matched with st200 cams [orange bands]
on disassembly when I was removing the big end caps, all the bearing attached to the crank and not the cap , wonder how close I was before things started spinning
anyway on all the port matched 3l build s I have seen people either keep the 3l cams [black band] or upgrade to the st200 cams , and it is well documented that the 3l cams have good bottom and mid, but drop away top end , and the st200 cams give good top but a loss of bottom
well as I have all 3 sets at the moment , green band st24, orange band st200 , and black band st220 cams
I know it is not really accurate but I compared the st220 black band , against the st200 orange band cams, and traced around their profiles on cardboard , on the short runner st200 cam lobe it was easy to see the quicker opening , and slower closing rate on the inlet cam , so clear to see the top end power bias
but when I compared the st220 black band cams with the st24 green band cams , inlet long runner seems to match st220 lobe , and st24 short runner lobe has a slower closing rate than st220
st220 seems to have very slightly slower closing rate than st24 on the exhaust lobes
so the conclusion I have is when I did my port matched 3l 2 years ago instead of retaining the 3l cams , I should have swopped in the st24 ones from the engine I took out
maybe someone has already done this

SVT Cams are orange bands also. They work better for top end and really don't affect torque noticeably. I have done both. The added torque of the 3.0 with a manual trans really makes the SVT cams the better choice in my car.

SVT Cams are orange bands also. They work better for top end and really don't affect torque noticeably. I have done both. The added torque of the 3.0 with a manual trans really makes the SVT cams the better choice in my car.
what he's asking is ... has anyone put SE cam's in 3.0L. ...G.

Yes thats right. For those not wanting to fit the svt cams. My thought is the se cams would work better in port matched. Rather than leaving in the 3l cams. And as such . I wonder if anyone had put the se cams in the 3l port matched

Back