• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Which is better and Why

Pretty misleading list IMO. First post is a "ported 3l" build. Scroll down a bit and look at the mod list and it's basically a race engine.

The list isn't misleading it all. It shows exactly what people put down on the dyno. It's the best attempt at showing differences we can get. Just because someone has more mods than someone else doesn't mean they should be excluded from the list. It shows what's possible if you build the motor up, ported or not.

I did my 3L swap a few months ago and feel the 3.0 with SVT intakes was the easiest to do. (except at the time I didn't realize how time consuming porting the heads would be). My only regret is not knowing what the car would be like if I swapped over my SVT cams. Cause the 3L is so much more powerful than that smaller 2.5, I can't imagine all that 3L power with much more top end RPM power....it'd be fun. BUT; for a daily driver I can see why I'd keep the 3L cams; Much more low end power even before the IMRC open up. Hope your swap goes well!

Oh yea...I dislike the full 3.0 intake maneys look too guys...sorry. SVT INTAKE FTW!

The selection SHOULD NOT be based on power output! It should be based on what the installer prefers (2.5L intakes/porting vs. 3L intakes/custom throttle brackets, egr, fuel rail, wiring, vacuum lines, etc)

^ Exactly - The ported 3L guys never claim to make the most power, but the full 3L guys ALWAYS claim to make the most and put down doing a ported 3L. It has nothing to do with power. It is the look of the intakes and the work involved for the different setups.

Base your decision on how you want it to LOOK when you are done. The power will be within 5/10hp no matter what mods you stick on what motor as long as they are the same mods.

honestly.i can almost guarantee all the HP differences through out the platform is because of the tunes. its a cougar/contour... not a freakin STI. noone wants to waste time to tune a piece of crap (in the tuners eyes).

the difference between ported and full... mani look, and either top end power, or low end. all it does it shift your torque curve, thats it.

i personally gained 25hp tuning it myself after i had a shop do it. the only difference was a 65mm tb vs the stock 3L tb.

The list isn't misleading it all. It shows exactly what people put down on the dyno. It's the best attempt at showing differences we can get. Just because someone has more mods than someone else doesn't mean they should be excluded from the list. It shows what's possible if you build the motor up, ported or not.

In the context of this discussion it is VERY misleading. If there was a mod list next to the engine type / hp then it wouldn't be.

Honestly, the differences here are the dynos, and calibration. One tiny setting can make a huge number difference, dyno numbers can only be used for so much. No one is really doing anything out of the ordinary here, all similar engines, same compression, stock cams, mostly no portwork. The only variation I really see is each car has been put on a different dyno.

honestly.i can almost guarantee all the HP differences through out the platform is because of the tunes. its a cougar/contour... not a freakin STI. noone wants to waste time to tune a piece of crap (in the tuners eyes).

the difference between ported and full... mani look, and either top end power, or low end. all it does it shift your torque curve, thats it.
I'd like to tune my car myself.. How do I do it I have no idea where to start.
i personally gained 25hp tuning it myself after i had a shop do it. the only difference was a 65mm tb vs the stock 3L tb.

I want to tune my car myself. I don't know where I would start tho, any help?

I want to tune my car myself. I don't know where I would start tho, any help?

dyno tuning classes. plus pnp software for the cougar and a handheld. then again i dont know what you know about cars, but you need to know quite a bit in how they run and work before you actually do any tuning

dyno tuning classes. plus pnp software for the cougar and a handheld. then again i dont know what you know about cars, but you need to know quite a bit in how they run and work before you actually do any tuning

I know almost everything there is to know about a car mechanically (mainly engines), (for a self taught non mechanic lol) However the electronic side of it I've never really read up on to understand it. thanks for the tips, this has been a recent desire to try to learn myself. However if I ever actually do it is another story. I guess it depends on how much money and time it takes.

I know almost everything there is to know about a car mechanically (mainly engines), (for a self taught non mechanic lol) However the electronic side of it I've never really read up on to understand it. thanks for the tips, this has been a recent desire to try to learn myself. However if I ever actually do it is another story. I guess it depends on how much money and time it takes.

just mechanically knowing isnt enough to do this stuff. you need to know the blueprints of engine basically how they work, run, fire, fuel, a/f ratio, spark, spark timing, cam timing, cam profiles, intake runner design, exhaust design, head flow, and how everything has to work together. and theres a ton more

just mechanically knowing isnt enough to do this stuff. you need to know the blueprints of engine basically how they work, run, fire, fuel, a/f ratio, spark, spark timing, cam timing, cam profiles, intake runner design, exhaust design, head flow, and how everything has to work together. and theres a ton more

Yea i don't "KNOW" that stuff. I think i could figure it out tho with some reading and studying. Thanks

Back