• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ricky's Stallion 3L Build!

IMG_0892_zps34dff419.jpg

IMG_0893_zps9953d8d3.jpg

IMG_0894_zpsf0c2c4bc.jpg

IMG_0895_zps069e5a6b.jpg

IMG_0896_zpsd43e9285.jpg

IMG_0897_zpse40d74a6.jpg

IMG_0899_zpsb82bbd98.jpg

IMG_0901_zps2aa73e1a.jpg

IMG_0903_zpsf0a88188.jpg

IMG_0904_zps6a039a88.jpg

My first 3L motor swap took me 4 months!

It's better you take your time, READ, and do things right the first time. Ask questions, don't ever be afraid to.

^^Haha yep that's what im doing now. Reading all the the 3L threads I can and all the Alldata info from the CDs for this car. I keep switching back and forth til I understand. I do have some questions I'm sure I will ask but I will keep searching to see what good info is hidden out there!

BTW My Bugzuki plates just arrived 10 minutes ago. They are so nice! :drool: Makes things so much easier to port the heads!

I also actually have a couple threads of blu's, svttour's, stazi's, blackcoog, 95mike, hoosiercontour, warmonger, purplemystique, todras, csvt49, and Hazzard saved to my favorites for good information so thanks to all you guys.

If you look at the pictures from the bottom going up, it seems like you are putting an engine into the car! You are almost done already!!!!

I know others have done it but I didn't want to take that risk ESP for my first time. I'd rather be more prudent and gave myself as much space as possible. I'm glad I did bc it put me a little more at ease and gave me the chance to clean out the fins with a pipe cleaner.

And hopefully ill have those pictures of it going back in so it will be in reverse lol... Just looking at that wiring harness intimidates me some, but I'm just gonna take it one step at a time! I just have to be patient and understand what I'm doing and reading. I'm sure the prudence and taking my time will pay off with a good reward (a working port-matched 3L) in the end haha!

Also today was interesting because there was a community yard sale in my neighborhood and I didn't know it so all these people were stopping and taking pictures of my car in the garage sideways and talking to me. I felt like a celebrity then a guy came up and asked me what was for sale and I was confused and he told me about the community yard sale and I laughed.

I got interrupted quite a few time with people asking questions about how I got it in there and how I got the engine out. One guy said he was a Motorhead too but wasn't that crazy to pull an engine. He said he would stick to changing his oil! :)

hey ricky; can I ask please, the battery ground lead in this photo, where does it bolt to on the motor ?

I have I thin black wire which I think goes from the bodywork to the transmission and this thick black wire which goes from the battery neg terminal ... but I've forgotten where it goes .... so frustrating that I can't quite make it out from this picture ..... thanks ....G.

Hey Jaged; Thanks, I couldn't remember and the wires in that photo are undisturbed.

I kept looking at a bolt on the frontside of the transmission and wondering. Also, that ground lead from the battery neg has a lug on it which looks like it bolts to a terminal like the starter motor connections. The thin wire from the inner fender has a large flat lug on it, so I bolted it together with the batt neg to the front top center transmission bolt.

The car starts on the button, so all is good .... G.

There are actually two that go to the transmission tho. One goes to one of the bellhousing bolts that hold the engine and trans together and there is a second that gets bolted closer to the vss on the lower part of the bellhousing.

Ok so first picture is where the thick black cable connects to on the transmission. It is just behind the slave cylinder and the arrow points towards the front of the car. This picture is kinda taken from behind... (the cable goes from this point straight to the negative on the battery)

thickblacktrans_zpsefa81dfc.jpg

Second is where thin black cable gets bolted to. It is right under the cooling system duct. Once again the arrow points to the front of the car. (sorry its a tad blurry)

thinblacktrans_zps32b01344.jpg

Third is where the thin black cable attaches under the air intake on the driver side wheel well area...

fenderwellthin_zpsc65a8a8d.jpg

Ok so first picture is where the thick black cable connects to on the transmission. It is just behind the slave cylinder and the arrow points towards the front of the car. This picture is kinda taken from behind... (the cable goes from this point straight to the negative on the battery)

thickblacktrans_zpsefa81dfc.jpg

Hi Ricky, yep that is the bolt I was looking at and wondering.

I couldn't remember if it was holding anything inside.... there are bolts by the drain plug that hold a bracket inside the box for the reversing gears. ... so I thought I would ask before doing something disasterous.

I've used the top center bolt since that bolt is not easily accessable anymore because of the Vortec bracket.

thanks for the photo's..... G.

So quick question.... This engine came with extra goodies for me that i was told it wouldnt have like a water pump, belt, headers and a full wiring harness with both the ecu wiring and bulkhead connector for by the one by the trans. Its ••••ing beautiful! so clean and nice. but Is this compatible with the contour? And all the O2 sensors and other stuff?

Use the 3L water pump, just put your 2.5L waterpump belt tensioner and belt on it.

Back