• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Timing Cover / Idler Pulley Question

CKtour98

Hard-core CEG'er
I want to change the idler pulley on my 3L motor. My last 3L was an 05 Taurus and had this setup:

DSC02022.jpg

My new 3L is different, it has a small idler pulley on the left side beside a tensioner, im sure you guys know what the setup looks like. Is this a specific pulley for the motor or can I use one from a different motor (2.5L?)

I really wanted to drop the motor in tomorrow/Sunday but now that I need this, I might be delayed as Im pretty sure theres no Escapes at the local wreckers but they do have a few Contours, Mystiques and Cougars.

Just go buy a new one. Autozone has them for like $20 if your talking about the idler pulley itself. The tensior assembly is a bit more, but can also be had at Autozone or any auto parts store for that matter.

yeah just the pulley. called around and no one had them in stock so i kinda got screwed this weekend of 2 beautiful days to get solid work done and even possibly have the car running. I was just curious as to what pulley i could use, like if a SVT + non SVT 2.5 would work...i think it should ?

yeah just the pulley. called around and no one had them in stock so i kinda got screwed this weekend of 2 beautiful days to get solid work done and even possibly have the car running. I was just curious as to what pulley i could use, like if a SVT + non SVT 2.5 would work...i think it should ?

If your using the timing cover off of a Escape along with the tensioner... just use the idler pulley for that engine.

Back