• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

sensor/wire plug differences

bensenvill

Hard-core CEG'er
specifically I was looking at the that run of wires that wraps along the front of the engine from the fuel injector harness (and pardon me on the exact names, its too early for me): the crank, cam and oil sensors. I noticed on the much later duratec harnesses (of unknown 3.0 origin) that the plugs changed for all these sensors.

Anyone know if these revised sensors fit our stock 2.5 timing covers?

This may sound dumb but the reason I would be interested is that as time goes on, I think it would be easier to source replacement parts that aren't a decade old. (been making a harness from scratch so which plugs I include makes no difference to me)

I am/was of the belief that the sensor plugs were the same? Maybe not the oil sensor, but the cam and crank.

oil sensor changes to a clip style plug rather than a wire with a piece of rubber attached to it.

the others use identical sockets but the placement of the wire interconnects has shifted slightly in shape and placement, so they do not plug up to each other.

Once again, moving forward I would really like to walk in the dealership and ask for XXXX for a 2005 YYYY rather than something from the 90's.

also interesting is that they added grounded shielding to the cam sensor (knock sensor??)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I also made an 'injector' harness out of my '03 3l harness + 2.5 harness. I used the 2.5 parts. The crank sensor was a 90 degree plug, so I figured I'd use the 2.5 stuff.

I remember when i first had the 3l plugs on the harness, I thought I was retarded for not being able to plug them onto the sensors.
Turns out I am retarded, so I put the 2.5 stuff back on.

Last edited:
I know that my 02 harness has different crank sensors. The difference on mine is that the pins coming out of the crank sensor are much smaller on my 02 compared to the 5 other crank sensors I have here that I dont know what they came off of. The plugs on the wiring harness are obviously different as well.

for the cam and crank sensors you will have to get them and compare them side by side. the replacements need to have the exact same mounting depth as the originals. obviously they also have to have the same diameter and mounting bolt location.

also interesting is that they added grounded shielding to the cam sensor (knock sensor??)

They probably added shielding because they were having issues with either A) signal interference or B) Electromagnetic emissions (found via EMC testing, which is required for regulations and standards)

As for the cam/crank sensors as long as you are getting readings from the sensors (obviously won't know this until they are installed). Those magnetic pulse pickup sensors are spec'd to be installed at a certain offset distance. If for some reasons the 2.5L sensors have a different offset then the 3.0L sensors they may not trigger the same and could cause problems. The best way to determine the answer to this may not be very easy, but... I would measure the depth from the tooth on the pulse wheel to the mounting surface of the sensor on both installations (using the sensors matching OEM timing cover of course) and then measure the distance from the sensors mounting surface to the edge of the pickup and compare them. This should indicate whether there is a difference or not.

also to note, they also added grounded shielding to the coilpack. btw, the tag on the harness was from late 2001 and was sold new attached to a LIM, there are some interesting differences between my return style harness.

I am going to jump the gun and commit to the new plug style. If it doesn't work, I can always put the older plugs back in. I'm trying to source some replacement stretches for the gound shielded wires, I thought I had some catalogs that dealt with that but I guess not.

Back