• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98 Contour SVT with 3.0L Swap Questions...

98consvt

CEG'er
ok guys and gals, just got this 98 CSVT with the 3.0 swap, there are a couple of issues with it that im hoping i can get answers to.

1) CEL is on, but i assume this is because the VSS is not in at the moment
2) Fan Light is on all the time, is this normal? it goes off when the fan actually turns on, but the engine gets pretty warm before the fan comes on, at like the A in "Normal" and then once the fan actually turns on, it goes back down to right in the middle of the gauge.
3) it seems like there is no power until 3500rpm. if you are just cruising in 4th at like 2700rpm or whatever, and try to accelerate, it barely does anything until about 3500rpm, is this normal? and when you try to accelerate, it kinda hesitates and bounces, kinda like its bogging down but not really, if that makes sense. i doubt its supposed to be like that though, almost seems like its not getting enough fuel or air or something??
4) also, sometimes when taking off from a light or what have you, the car kinda bogs down and hesitates to go, but after a couple seconds its fine again.
5) Airbag light blinks every once in awhile, it blinks 4 times, not sure if thats a code or whatever?

this is all i can think of at the moment, but if more pops up ill be sure to add it, Thanks in advance everyone!

First get the CELs read & post the results. Stuff like this irks me. If u know for a fact that the VSS isnt in there, y not replace it b4 u start wondering what else is wrong with the car:shrug:?

First get the CELs read & post the results. Stuff like this irks me. If u know for a fact that the VSS isnt in there, y not replace it b4 u start wondering what else is wrong with the car:shrug:?

because the pin from the old plastic VSS is broken off in the transmission. so the pin has to be pulled out somehow before the new one with a metal pin can be put in. and the shop is going to charge me about $200 bucks to do it. because i dont have a good way of doing it. money i dont have at the moment.

as for the stuttering thing, my brother told me when i was taking off today that it sounds like its misfiring? but why would this go away in upper rpm range?

Gotcha. Well misfires can happen in any rpm range. As for the VSS thing, its easy. Take ur intake accordian tube off and a couple of electrical connections, and u'll have access to the VSS. U might also be able to get it from the bottom of the car.

Gotcha. Well misfires can happen in any rpm range. As for the VSS thing, its easy. Take ur intake accordian tube off and a couple of electrical connections, and u'll have access to the VSS. U might also be able to get it from the bottom of the car.

ok cool, thanks for the tip, ill try and do that tomorrow when its light out and the ill report back

ok cool, thanks for the tip, ill try and do that tomorrow when its light out and the ill report back

Cool. It isnt that hard. Be confident, and take note of the electrical connections and their placement as u disconnect them. If there's anything i've learnt working on cars, its this: U can do just about anything ur confidence allows u to.

And in case u didnt know, u can pick up a VSS from any v6 contour @ the junkyard pretty cheaply. 5-10bux max. It isnt ideal as we dunno if it was working prior. But odds are that it probably was.

From the way you are describing the stuttering, I'm assuming it's a full 3 liter swap? Mine does that, too. It's because you aren't tuned, I assume, as well. You need to bump the timing up some to compensate for the lack of having secondaries, in which, the upper range (3500 rpms and above) runs smooth and pulls hard, while below the IMRC opening point, it runs rather sluggish.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but since it's a full 3 liter, you're running lean below the IMRC point, and the reason why it runs smooth up top is because the 2.5 tune kicks in more air above 3500 rpms, (about where the secondary ports open in a 2.5) balancing out the correct AFR.

Cool. It isnt that hard. Be confident, and take note of the electrical connections and their placement as u disconnect them. If there's anything i've learnt working on cars, its this: U can do just about anything ur confidence allows u to.

well i went into it confident. took the intake all the way off and all the electrical plugs i possibly could, to no avail. i still couldnt see where the VSS is supposed to plug in to. is it possible that i have a different transmission where it would be in a different location?

From the way you are describing the stuttering, I'm assuming it's a full 3 liter swap? Mine does that, too. It's because you aren't tuned, I assume, as well. You need to bump the timing up some to compensate for the lack of having secondaries, in which, the upper range (3500 rpms and above) runs smooth and pulls hard, while below the IMRC opening point, it runs rather sluggish.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but since it's a full 3 liter, you're running lean below the IMRC point, and the reason why it runs smooth up top is because the 2.5 tune kicks in more air above 3500 rpms, (about where the secondary ports open in a 2.5) balancing out the correct AFR.

i have no idea whether or not it is a full 3L or not, bought it how it is, but if yours is full 3L and has the same symptoms, mine probably is also and they have the same issue. i figured i probably needed a tune, how much does a tune run and how do i find a good shop to do that? or is it possible to do it at home?

well i went into it confident. took the intake all the way off and all the electrical plugs i possibly could, to no avail. i still couldnt see where the VSS is supposed to plug in to. is it possible that i have a different transmission where it would be in a different location?

i have no idea whether or not it is a full 3L or not, bought it how it is, but if yours is full 3L and has the same symptoms, mine probably is also and they have the same issue. i figured i probably needed a tune, how much does a tune run and how do i find a good shop to do that? or is it possible to do it at home?

As per experience with the 3 CSVT's I've owned they all looked the same but you never know post pics of what ur doing and search!!!!! For what your asking!

As for ur full 3L it may have a plastic upper intake manifold or an aluminum one like mine pictured below. If it's has a svt upper with the tube runners it's a port match swap if u search for svttour he has tons of swap pics on here read some more then some more and the next day read twice as much! It will help u in the long run! Anyway here is my full 3L below good luck!

IMAG0520.jpg

Funny enough, after i posted yesterday, i thot to myself: "he knows where this thing is located, right?" Guess not. lol. Its barely visible from the top. Its located right on top of the tranny toward the firewall. Not that far off from the clutch line. Its a big black pentagon shaped connection. U have to slide ur hand down there to feel it(No jokes ppl). And like i said b4, u can see it from the bottom as well.

1. get the code read to make sure what the CEl is on for.

2. there is no fan light. that is the low coolant light. top your coolant off.

3. what 3l do you have? if its a straight 3L you will need a tune as there are no secondaries.

4. see above.

5. count the blinks, its a code for the airbag system.

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm taking it intothe shop tomorrow, they said they can do anything tune wise except remap the PCM/ECU or whatever, so my question now is, does the computer need to be remapped for the tune? Sorry for all the newbie questions, oh and the airbag light flashes 4-5 so i assume thats a 45? I will try the VSS thing again today, flushed the coolant and light went off and hasn't came on since, so that's one problem down, now just a couple to go, thanks again everyone! I really appreciate it!

If your vss is bad I have a new one I am selling pm me for details.

i already have a new VSS, just havent got it installed yet thanks though

and as for too many variables, you mean theres too many to tell me whether or not the PCM/ECU needs to be remapped?

oh and looking at the motor, it has the SVT upper intake, so this means it is a port matched correct

i already have a new VSS, just havent got it installed yet thanks though

and as for too many variables, you mean theres too many to tell me whether or not the PCM/ECU needs to be remapped?

oh and looking at the motor, it has the SVT upper intake, so this means it is a port matched correct

As for too many variables tackle one issue at a time, start with the VSS get it fixed or fix it, also take and post pics, as for ur other issues see brapple's post above, not many shops know how to properly work or tune a port matched 3L or a full 3L for that matter but take one step at a time don't waste lots of money by being impatient and having a shop toy with it read and get a manual for your car and between it and the people on here you will have success !

as requested, here are some pictures.

with the plastic cover:
DSCN0134.jpg

without the plastic cover:
DSCN0137.jpg

<br>
DSCN0136.jpg

and a couple of the car just cause i havent put any up yet, needs a little work, but its in pretty good shape for the most part:
DSCN0139.jpg

<br>
DSCN0138.jpg

Your IMRC is not hooked up. That is Bugzukis old car!

haha i thought he might have been a member on here! maybe since you know him you know more details of the car? and what is this IMRC that is not hooked up?!?!

Back