• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

intake!

CKtour98

Hard-core CEG'er
What is everyone running for an intake on their 3Ls? I had a BAT intake pipe with a K+N, stock tube with a K+N and didn't notice a difference...ebay has pipes for $12, so what is the big benefit of buying say a BAT pipe for $90 vs the same looking one on ebay?

I'd love a cold air but no liners mean dirty filter all the time...

the BAT one is JetHot coated I believe, also why not try one of those K&N pre filters to help keep the filter clean?

Most of the ebay intake pipes I have seen in person dont have all the ports to hook the vac lines up to.

I'm running the stock SVT intake on my full 3L. I know there's been some debate in the past about the performance of the stock intake, but it was meant for a 3.8L Mustang so how bad can it be on a 3.0? And this way it still pulls the air from the stock snorkel, which should be cooler than the air under the hood.

You have an ST220 uim right? I say go for the cold air, even if you do have to make up some sort of shield to protect it from the dirt. I have the ST220 with npg cold air intake and it whistles like crazy, I love it. Thats just my opinion though.

Yeah I'm running an st220..I'm just looking for different setups since I need to order one now. Seeing how I had a shortram already I thought I'd look into diff setups lol

I saw those like "bags" or whatever that go over the filter to keep it clean (a lot of rear mount turbo guys use them) but wasn't sure how well it would work...then I'd go npg cai.

Is it just your wheel well splash guards that aren't on or the big one under the radiator, or both? I like to keep mine under the radiator to keep air flowing to the radiator better, but the wheel well guards I plan on removing one day to fit bigger wheels and tires. For that I plan on making some kind of shield to prevent dirt/water splashing up onto the filter.

As far as those bags over the filter go, I have seen them but dont know anything about them, I wouldn't want one just for the fact that I wouldn't personally trust any kind of bag over my air filter. But who knows, they could work amazingly.

Both are gone. The filter cover is made for that, to allow airflow but protect it from water and debris..ill look more into it.

As for the ebay pipes not having the correct hookups, the bat pipe has 4 it seems and the ebay one also has 4 I think

also, does the npg cai kit come with the smaller pipe from tb to maf? i see online int the photo its a single pipe from the maf to the filter, but what about the other side?

if you can't pull air from outside of the engine compartment, it's not going to be as good as the stock intake. however, you are limited to a 70mm maf with a stock intake. that would not suffice for my past setup, so i went with a lightning airbox, but eventually went to a cold air intake with the K&N style filter sock over it to shed any water. had a bad experience with water and a cold air intake before :(

I think the stock intake looks so much better. IMO, many of the open filters look like hack jobs. I have a BAT inlet pipe in place of the accordian tube. I think this is the best of both worlds. It looks great and pulls in cold air.

ImportedPhotos00060-1.jpg

I think the stock intake looks so much better. IMO, many of the open filters look like hack jobs. I have a BAT inlet pipe in place of the accordian tube. I think this is the best of both worlds. It looks great and pulls in cold air.

ImportedPhotos00060-1.jpg

I also have the BAT intake...

Why do I feel like the diameter is smaller than the stock accordian?

I also have that carbon fiber cover lol...

I have to agree with this. I wish there was an aftermarket pipe to replace the accordian tube when using a 3L uim. I'm using the Escape uim with the stock intake and you need to bend the accordian tube for it to work. It would be nice to get an angled pipe to replace this.
5610814738_eae3f2ec00_z.jpg

I have to agree with this. I wish there was an aftermarket pipe to replace the accordian tube when using a 3L uim. I'm using the Escape uim with the stock intake and you need to bend the accordian tube for it to work. It would be nice to get an angled pipe to replace this.
5610814738_eae3f2ec00_z.jpg

I'm not sure how different all the 3L uim's are but I'm trying to have one made from my shop, we took an old accordion tube stuck it in place just like u have pictured above and then molded the shape with fiberglass it's just to give us the correct angle outta the car, now having one end of the pipe expanded to fit the maf anyway I'll let u all know how it works out, I want to keep the stock intake but have a lil better option than running the stock accordion tube...

Back