• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

LIM to head transition

FastFord

Hard-core CEG'er
Just wondering if the little ledge bothers anyone else on their full 3L or if this is even normal. I tried unbolting the fuel rail and lining them up better but it didn't help any.

portalignment.jpg

Mine is the same way and I was a little bothered by it, but not bothered enough to try smoothing it out. It's an 06 Escape 3L. Actually I have an 05 Escape also and it's the same way so I would say it's normal. I've never done any porting or anything like that which is probably the only way you could change the little ledge, I think you could do it but I was afraid of making a mistake.

Just wondering if the little ledge bothers anyone else on their full 3L or if this is even normal. I tried unbolting the fuel rail and lining them up better but it didn't help any.
I think that is Ford's stumble port design ... lol ... no only joking.
It's beyond Ford's wit to put a couple of guide lugs on the upper side of the gaskets, to align the sections together !!!

That step does make a small difference (if you remove it) to acceleration and throttle response.
I've smoothed out the transition on upper to lower .... lower to head and head to ex. header. ...Felt sharper/ smoother.
I've seen guys put guide pins in to locate sections together.

Best time to do this porting is during a build or service strip down. That flat area where the ports split in the head casting would definately be better being ported to a crisp sharp edge. The only thing that can go wrong is if you get aluminium shavings in the engine. I've seen guys pack the ports with paper and grease.... no one has reported getting aluminium shavings in the cylinder ... but be extra careful if you try that. gl ...G.

Is your fuel rail and LIM from the same vehicle? My taurus LIM + escape rail looked like that. I could line the LIM up so there was no lip, but the injector o-rings were flexing some in the rail to achieve that. I have an escape LIM on order, as that should have a matched injector angle... and I'm expecting it to let the LIM mount with no head lip.

All the parts are from the same taurus 3L, just wanted to know if it was indeed a normal ford ingenious design. I plan on finding a metal LIM that I can port one day when I get my heads ported and polished so its not really anything I am too worried about right now. I haven't really searched too much yet but what LIM is metal that will work besides the ST220 from over seas?

This ledge is not a good thing. You are loosing some power on it because of air turbulences and, as was said, throttle response is a bit worse. It has sense to remove it.

Back