• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3l split port head info needed

My opinion: While mixing the intake port types is not optimal, the gain/loss by doing seems negligible in my time here on CEG. The options out there that are most correct, or should produce the best HP results often involve introduceing variables into the build that many times prove impossible to sort out and sometimes downright dangerous.

Such as car fires resulting from fuel rail modifiction for full 3L installs. Some builds NEVER end up running right. For me, the fewer things you can introduce into the system the better.

I have called a dozen or so junkyards and had them check their 1999 taurus heads. NONE of them were split ports. are we sure about those coming on 1999's??

I am starting to think we CEG'ers have the wrong year.

99 bet you a million bucks

You are forgetting Ive done this swap before... oh yea maybe im wrong.

Just checking, because like I said, every '99 I have found so far is oval port. Reading on the taurus sites, they say it is the 2000-2001 that is split port. The search continues. If anyone has one of these, speak up, I will buy it, in any condition.

Anything you can think of that would identify these seperate from the oval port SVTTour? Just so the junkyards can find one.

it took a while to find a set that was actually split port. I have a set being shipped to me now. I will post some comparison pics of the 2.5l vs 3l split port, once they come in.

These split port 3l heads are not easy to find.

they arent hard to find most people just dont know that the upper looks oval port but they are infact split port.

a metal upper intake manifold will give you a hint that they are split port.

There are a bunch for sale on ebay....

I honestly never thought about ebay.

Nearly every junkyard one I found, when I had them check, it was oval port. I had tons of pictures emailed to me by different yards, and they were definitely oval on a lot of the '99 heads I saw.

Regardless, I have a set on it's way, hopefully be here by Monday.

I can't wait to compare the ports on them to the SVT heads. I hope they are very similar, if so, then, EH 3L heads, here I come.

I know SVTTOUR built one of these split port 3L, and he said he made around 184whp untuned.

Has anyone ever dyno'd one and tuned it?

I don't understand the comment about the voltage drops killing a car. Somebody doesn't know how to do 12v wiring. The MAX current draw for a EWP80 is 7.5 amps. Now I'm terribly sorry but a 7.5amp load will absolutely not overtax your power generation system in any car unless you are already at the brink of failure. We are talking about a 90 watt draw here... Imagine some of the car stereos people run.

I think most were using the EWP with a big stereo, hence the voltage drops.

First thing I plan on doing if I install an EWP is a higher amp alternator, despite having a brand new alternator. Just to be safe, as I would like a non-monsterous stereo.

I got my set of heads in today. A 3L split port and a 2.5L split port for comparision.

I cannot find my calipers anywhere. If I still can't find them tomorrow, I will just buy another set of them. I will try my hardest to get comparison pics and measurements posted here this weekend. It already looks like this will work well though. The air flow ports are shaped identical(first thing I wanted to see), and the 3L appears to be a touch larger in the ports(cannot verify till I measure). I did notice a slight difference in the combustion chamber shapes though, so I will have to look at that closer.

I am fairly certain that using these heads will result in more lower end torque than the popular ported head setup. Yes it is a TON more work, I honestly don't care. My SVT 2.5 runs like a top still, so I have plenty of time to get this right. Let me get some basic measurements and I will continue to explore this one step at a time. I hate to get ahead of myself and assume anything.

I have called a dozen or so junkyards and had them check their 1999 taurus heads. NONE of them were split ports. are we sure about those coming on 1999's??

I am starting to think we CEG'ers have the wrong year.

Since ive been in the JY's all last week I've seen 2 1999 taurus w/ split port motors, but im in central florida.

I finally found a set. here in MN, these heads are fairly rare. Closest junkyard set I found that actually were split port were about 200 miles away. Got them now though.

I honestly do not see how anyone could call these heads oval port.

ignore the date in the pics, I only put batteries in the cam when I use it.

Alright this is what the two heads (3L split port & 2.5L) look like side by side.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/98/bothheads.jpg/

2 Shots of the 2.5L Combustion Chamber
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/25lbstionchamber.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/25lbustionchamber2.jpg/

2 Shots of the 3L Split port '99 Combustion Chamber
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/222/3lbustionchamber.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/3lbustionchamber2.jpg/

Sorry I had issues getting the pictures to work in the thread due to the size of them.

The Air Inlets are identical in size, 34.4mm Circles for both heads. Does anyone have the oval measurement from an oval head so I don't have to buy one??

I circled in yellow the only port difference I saw between the heads. I also noticed the water jacket ports on the 3L head were smaller, are these also smaller on the oval ports?

the only other notable difference between the two head designs is in the combustion chamber. The 3l is a smooth walled shape, while the 2.5 is notched to favor one side. Not certain which is preferable yet.

Back