• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A few little things with the 3.0...

KAOS_3.0

Hard-core CEG'er
ok, so I put the 05 UIM on the 3.0 today, I had to remove the covers from the injector looms and tape them up to fit under the channel it has under the runners... PITA...

then, I spent several hours rebending the egr pipe to miss the PCV inlet on the new UIM, an even bigger PITA...

and since the coil pack wouldnt fit under the 05 UIM like it did on the 02 uim, I did away with the plastic valve cover in the back and blacked out the 05 one with the new PCV system, which was nice.

main problem I'm having now is I cant figure out where to mount the coil pack now. I've hunted for pictures or suggestions for where guys with the 05 UIM have put their coil packs with no avail. I'm using the 02 taurus coil pack, which if I'm not mistaken is also the same as an 02 cougar coil pack. I've measured and both the 02 taurus and 99 cougar coil pack measure the same height, and the taurus one mounts to the 02 bracket that I've already modded to bolt on with just two bolts.

I've played with mounting the coilpack (CP from now on) on the front of the engine, but any place I can figure out to put it has it standing higher than the oil cap and UIM, so I'm pretty sure it would hit the hood...

anybody got some pictures?

also, on a different note, I was wondering if engine looms where specified for ABS or non-abs??? seems like they wouldnt make two different part numbers for with or without, more likely they'd just not use the signal wire in the loom to the pcm from the bulkhead connector if the car didnt have it, right? I'm thinking about bugging ford for some part numbers in that area...

lemme know what you guys think

BTW, all I have to do to finish the coug is square away a few small things on the engine and put it in the coug. with some help in these areas here, I should have it running in a week or less...

thanks guys

like, IN the cowl? this is going in a cougar if it makes a difference...

I also dont want to have to do anything too crazy with the plug wires, I just got the ones I have like 5k miles ago...

You using a Taurus intake manifold? Which EGR tube are you using? I'm doing an 05 Taurus swap and thought you needed to weld the two EGR tubes from the cougar and the taurus together to meet up or are you just bending it to fit??

I have put them off the front valve cover and off the firewall

SSPX0522.jpg

idk if the firewall would clear the 05 manifold but it cleared the 04 Taurus manifold (dont know what, if any, differences there are between the 04 and 05 manifolds)

SSPX0435-1.jpg

SSPX0436-1.jpg

they're the same, I'm trying to find someplace where I can recycle the stock 02 bracket in some way though. I'm also using the taurus coil pack, have been for a while. it measures the same height, but it has a slightly smaller footprint...

as for the egr, I had already welded half of an 02 taurus EGR pipe to half of a contour egr pipe, but the way it went, it would have melted the PCV output on the 05 UIM. unfortunately, the 05 engine I picked up didnt have an egr pipe so I dont even know how it went stock...

I've seen some guys talking about that corrugated copper tubing they use for the gas lines to dryers on some other forums. I'm trying to figure out how I could get the correct fittings onto something like that. I did find a site that offered tiny braided steel flex sections like in the real exhaust, but for egr pipes. I'm afraid they might be spendy, hard to find, and take forever to get to my house though...

if I could find a source for corrugated thin wall steel tubing in the right size that would be exactly what I need, I'd just have to get the welder back out of storage...

Here's that site with the braided EGR parts and stuff, if anyone else was curious:

http://kinromindustries.en.gasgoo.com/

I'm wondering, could I just hang the coil off the back of the engine since it seems to clear the fire wall? obviously I'd have to pull the cowl plastic for this to work, but why attach it to the fire wall rather than the engine itself?

This is how it turned out, lemme know if you think it will fit that way or not please

swappics1033.jpg

By paul_kaos_21 at 2011-04-07

also wondering about whats the difference with these two updraft o2 sensors, since I gutted the back cat today as well

swappics1034.jpg

By paul_kaos_21 at 2011-04-07

This is how it turned out, lemme know if you think it will fit that way or not please

also wondering about whats the difference with these two updraft o2 sensors, since I gutted the back cat today as well

I've seen it placed there b4, so i guess it'll work. If not, u'll know soon enough. As for the sensors u've got, there isnt a difference. One is a Bosch brand while the other is the stock Ford one.

no and I dont intend to. I've gutted every cat on the car, I need it there to keep NOX down in my exhaust for the sake of it not smelling completely terrible. it also helps with fuel economy and mid-throttle performance.

if you search the term EGR you'll undoubtedly find at least one thread where I'm ranting and raving about how backwards I think it is to delete it just because it's easier to do so...

[edit] also, my car has to pass an OBDII emissions test, so having a meter turned off in the tune would be a default fail...

Yall think I should solder the mil eliminators into the o2 sensors or the harness?

the sensors come out which makes soldering easier, but I'd have to resolder them any time I replaced one. then again, they sell cheaper o2's that dont have connectors and just require soldering... hrm...

in other news, today I switched out the alternator and PAS pump from the cougar engine, as well as doing the alternator wiring mod for the dimming headlights. seems like I sis more than that since I switched a bunch of other little crap from between the two engines, but I really didnt. guess I cleaned the timing cover, thats something....

so I measured out where the coilpack would potentially hit the fir wall and made a slight modification:

swappicsstage2008.jpg

By paul_kaos_21 at 2011-04-09

swappicsstage2009.jpg

and everything in there looks mucg better behind the grill in black

swappicsstage2012.jpg

and the front of the engine after swapping the PAS and Alt

swappicsstage2003.jpg

and I'm guessing I did the alt harness mod right?
swappicsstage2004.jpg

and while I'm at it, a shot of my cold air duct:

swappicsstage2015.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I like pic 2 where you modded the firewall I might have to do that with my Mazda MPV set up because the UIM has vacuum lines that hit the firewal and rub which will end in a vac leak glad I ran across your post on NECO

Here is my 3L Mazda UIM see how snug it fits up against the firewall.... No bueno

Tour3Lswap010.jpg

Waaait so you just cut the sheet metal and pushed it back so that the coil pack can fit? Isn't the cowl bolt hole not going to line up now? Personally I would have never done that, there are plenty of other options. You can mount the coil pack on the drivers side of the rear valve cover, or the front valve cover, or behind the intake manifold, or just run COP, or get an 01-02 coil pack that is smaller and fits behind the manifold. And why are you worrying about the coil pack when the engine isn't even in the car? Sorry but soo many things about this thread are really confusing me!

Waaait so you just cut the sheet metal and pushed it back so that the coil pack can fit? Isn't the cowl bolt hole not going to line up now? Personally I would have never done that, there are plenty of other options. You can mount the coil pack on the drivers side of the rear valve cover, or the front valve cover, or behind the intake manifold, or just run COP, or get an 01-02 coil pack that is smaller and fits behind the manifold. And why are you worrying about the coil pack when the engine isn't even in the car? Sorry but soo many things about this thread are really confusing me!

All he needs to do is add a few self tapping screws and an aluminum plate across the gap then drill the proper hole for the cowl to bolt to. I did this too but not for the coil pack for my Mazda uim to fit because of the vacuum lines on the rear side of the uim

Elraido looks really nice! Wish I had the room to do this, my 3L Mazda UIM hits the firewall and has too many vacuum ports on the back side.

Back