• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2005 ST220 vs 2005 Escape upper intake manifold (UIM) volume

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
Well CEG you've asked for it and I delivered.

I have one 2005 Ford ST220 Mondeo intake in stock form and one 2005 Ford Escape intake in stock form. Filling the two up with water yeilded the following results...

2005 Ford ST220 Mondeo intake: 7.5L +/- 150mL

2005 Ford Escape intake: 5.75L +/- 150mL

That's all she wrote!

In a little while I'll be filling the Extrude Honed ST220 intake. I just got to go pick up the new frost plugs for the intake.

wow i was expecting them to be very close. But thats a BIG difference.

Now i wonder what the
01 taurs uim and
04 uim and
mazda6 uim
is like:shrug:

What did you use to cap off the ends? wax?

wow i was expecting them to be very close. But thats a BIG difference.

Now i wonder what the
01 taurs uim and
04 uim and
mazda6 uim
is like:shrug:

What did you use to cap off the ends? wax?

I used plastic plugs where I could and duct tape for larger openings. I checked all ports for leaks before I started the fill tests. I placed the intakes upside down and filled through the runners. I also made sure to vent pockets as to ensure the intake was completely filled.

I wonder what TRicker has to say about this... :rolleyes:

What's that supposed to mean?

I any case I picked up 4 plugs, but one of them was not a revised one and did not fit as snug in the opening on my intake so I had Tousley Ford order me another one. They said it will be there most likely Tues. so I'm hopefully going to pick it up after work that day and have results by Wed-Thurs.

I'm guessing the Extrude Hone intake will not have a significant difference in volume, but I'm still going to test it and I'll post the results when I have them.

What's that supposed to mean?

I any case I picked up 4 plugs, but one of them was not a revised one and did not fit as snug in the opening on my intake so I had Tousley Ford order me another one. They said it will be there most likely Tues. so I'm hopefully going to pick it up after work that day and have results by Wed-Thurs.

I'm guessing the Extrude Hone intake will not have a significant difference in volume, but I'm still going to test it and I'll post the results when I have them.

There should still be a difference with the EX-honed UIM. I don't see why not. Are the entrance and exit ports any bigger by measurement.

the 04 taurus will be closer to the ST220 than the escape is. the escape manifold has a fat, but very short end tank leading to the throttle body. this shortness is what causes the high end power gain over a taurus UIM. the taurus UIM is literally two inches longer at the end tank. i shouldnt have to tell any of you that in a N/A car, volume alone cannot judge airflow therefore this is kinda a waste of a test BUT the volume does matter very much for a turbo setup like mike is doing here. rule of thumb on turbo setups is you want a large volume of air between your valves and throttle body as long as it doesnt cause a pressure drop by being too large. it gives the engine a good source of air to pull from without needing more throttle opening. this reduces (in theory) turbo lag and makes the engine more responsive at low throttle, therefore building boost faster throughout the powerband and therefore making your turbo setup just a little bit more efficient.

mike i have my 04 taurus manifold if you want to test that one too. i believe it will be much much closer to the ST manifold.

lmao...oh yea. :laugh: I doubt he will admit hes wrong though.

harry don't be a tool. go learn something about engine induction theory. pull out your numbers of the CFM of these manifolds and lets get back to talking about things that matter. the volume of these manifolds means nothing to me. i can make a breadbox that is bigger than all of them. will that make me faster? please dude. f'ckn please

harry i try hard not to insult you. i really do. but you want to make jokes and call me wrong on everything i do or say? that's fine. but i havent seen you produce ANYTHING other than a busted up shoshop LIM that tony had to fix to even make acceptable. you sit here and talk nonstop but i don't see your dyno numbers, dyno comparisons, hell i haven't even seen you at spring zing the last three years, and i was supposed to pick up parts for tony from you? hide behind your screename man.

i have 220 whp on a dyno dynamics with a taurus UIM.

where's the N/A dyno numbers with comparable mods on a ST220 setup?

it doesnt do much for me to sit here and bench race and talk about engine theorys or flow numbers. instead i'll go get into my car, start it up, go down the road, slam three gears of rubber and giggle the whole time, cuz i dont give a :censored: about the numbers, i just like goin fast and breakin :censored:

peace.

I have a 04 manifold sitting around, I'll do a test on it. What do you use to measure the water, do you just pour it in measured?

I have a 04 manifold sitting around, I'll do a test on it. What do you use to measure the water, do you just pour it in measured?

Cap off all ends, poor water into the manifold. Then once it is full, poor that water inside a measuring container. :) The container should have measurements.

You can do it your way...but it will be trial and error...and you might not have an accurate measurement.

Cap off all ends, poor water into the manifold. Then once it is full, poor that water inside a measuring container. :) The container should have measurements.

You can do it your way...but it will be trial and error...and you might not have an accurate measurement.
I'm just trying to staying consistent with how he measured, so it can be more accurate to his

Yes I use a 250mL measuring cup and count the pours.
Okay, I'll do it next week sometime. :)

Yea... I'd question how accurate those really are though.

Well i guess a measuring cup and a radiator container...and we can solve that problem. :)

A collection of all intakes volumes would be beneficial to this board. Thanks for your efforts man!
I'm honestly waiting to see the increase in volume of that st220 uim. :cool:

mike quick question i probably know the answer but are you going to run a plastic LIM? if so, are you going to port match to the EH UIM now? i'm sure its not much of a difference at the oval openings of the UIM but you still want it to match up yes?

mike quick question i probably know the answer but are you going to run a plastic LIM? if so, are you going to port match to the EH UIM now? i'm sure its not much of a difference at the oval openings of the UIM but you still want it to match up yes?

I'll most likely be sticking with the plastic LIM. I have to measure the EH'd intake and see where the ports ended up. If there is a considerable difference I'll port match the LIM to match or just get a hold of an Mondeo LIM and go from there.

Back