• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

But it's going to have a flip up touchsreen display with a Carputer running a Windows operating system with GPS and WiFi... gotta be able to listen and watch my youtube vid's :laugh: not while driving of course...

Don't worry, I think we can get some man love movies on there when you aren't looking.....:)

Hey, I can save you a big headache..... Take the yellow coil pack and toss it in the trash. I had two from Accel and both misfired so bad it was crazy. The stock Ford coil and igniton drivers work more than good. I also tried the 4 channel MSD... Waste of time.... Other than that the build looks wonderfull.

Hey, I can save you a big headache..... Take the yellow coil pack and toss it in the trash. I had two from Accel and both misfired so bad it was crazy. The stock Ford coil and igniton drivers work more than good. I also tried the 4 channel MSD... Waste of time.... Other than that the build looks wonderfull.

Well did you every call Accel and talk to them about it? Also why do you say the DIS-4 is a waste of time... I've heard great things about them.

Started paint prep today. My brother and I have pretty much come to the agreement not to rush perfection and therefore we most likely will only get the car sprayed with primer between today and Tues. night. We might be able to lay base coat down, but because we wouldn't be able to spray it with clear... just not enough room to do chassis and the doors/bumpers at the same time... we will most likely hold off on that till another time when my brother can take off work again. Hopefully in the next two weeks.

What is completely as of tonight

-doors pretty much completely gutted (left regulators and locks resting inside doors)
-engine bay gutted as much as possible, and sanded
-passenger side jambs and rear quarter sanded
-driver side doors and quarter sanded
-antenna hole welded shut and smoothed out
-side marker holes welded shut and filler laid over (curing currently)

as of noon or so...
overallview.jpg

handlesfueldoor.jpg

miscpieces.jpg

windowglass.jpg

moldingremoved.jpg

antennahole.jpg

antennafill.jpg

Should have had, "Load it on a trailer and bring it to B's to have the engine bay and bottom of the car media blasted." on your list. :shrug:

PICTURE055_crop-1.jpg

PICTURE058_crop-1.jpg

Picture049.jpg

PICTURE059_crop-1.jpg

PICTURE060_crop-1.jpg

Picture068.jpg

Picture061.jpg

Last edited:
Yea I would have had you do that, but I don't have a trailer (yet) and I also would have had to brought the car down even further then what I have it... I still have the fuel tank, fuel lines, brake lines, steering rack, and steer lines all installed still.

Here are pictures from today's activities...

yardsale1.jpg

yardsale2.jpg

washdown1.jpg

washdown2.jpg

washdown3.jpg

washdown4.jpg

More progress, but still no paint on the car.

Some interesting findings... car was definitely repainted and was in an accident. Kinda pisses me off since the carfax didn't show it and the previous owner (only other owner besides myself) said it had been in no accidents. The radiator support was replaced, which makes me wonder if the identification plate riveted to it belongs to my car. I can tell because it was piss poor welded to the inner fender wells and the spot welding is shotty. Good thing was my brother and I were able to grind it down reposition it and reweld everything. We then applied POR-15 to the surface rust that started due to the previous crap prep work that was completed. Next up was the passenger side rear quarter. No filler, but the back piece below the tail light was replaced and the whole rear quarter repainted. We could tell because the piece that was replaced wasn't fitted correctly and the welding was fubared. Again my brother and I fixed it. I drilled out the crap spot welds and chiseled the piece free. My brother realigned it and welded it back into place. It was at this point that we took the opportunity to weld in and smooth out the crappy seams that appear in the rear quarters. When we got to the driver side quarter to do this work we found that was repainted as well :nonono: Other work that was completed consisted of the following...

-removed hinges on all doors and prepped them for bead blasting
-ground down surface rust in engine bay, and applied POR-15
-ground down door skin seams at the bottoms of the front doors (surface rust again, very mild) and applied POR-15
-straightened out pinch welds at jack points, ground to bare metal, and applied POR-15
-ground off all rock guard on doors and rear quarters, sides of the car will be baby butt smooth
-removed dash cross support and will be sending to 'B's' for blasting (he doesn't know it yet ;))
-ground down front fenders, removing rock guard and surface rust, and applied POR-15

Basically the chassis is ready for sealer, base coat, and clear. Only thing left to do is sand down the inner trunk to prep it for paint. Since I'm doing a color change I'm getting rid of all of the red, minus the cabin area. The doors and fenders are ready for paint as well. However I still need to prep the front and rear bumpers, side skirts, and the header panel. Probably won't get a chance to work on it again until Sunday as I have a lot of other things to wrap up before I can put time into this again. The work from Sun-today was pre-planned and scheduled with my brother so he could take off work. Our hope is to have the car completely painted by mid June.

PICS
Didn't take a lot of pictures because we were short on time, but some nice shots of the rear quarter seam work and where we ended up.

quarterseam.jpg

seamweldedground.jpg

glazedprepped.jpg

glazedprepped2.jpg

End of day... (and no the doors are not just sitting on the floor, they are sitting on foam blocks.

dayend53111.jpg

Back