• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

FINALLY received the call from the good old UK. The cams will ship tomorrow morning!! Woohoo... last engine pieces are on the way. Time to put this thing together! Big thanks to the guys at Jetstream Motorsports.

UPS called... let there be cams.

camsunpacked.jpg

cams1.jpg

camgears.jpg

you need to post some close ups of those lobes!

I'm assuming you still need to press on the water pump pulley or is that changing too.

Specs again?

Josh come on... it's only back one page.

Cam Specs
Ford ST220
Inlet
Peak Lift: 9.721mm (0.383")
Duration: 250deg
Exhaust
Peak Lift: 9.887mm (0.389")
Duration: 280deg

Mountune/Revolve Cams
Inlet (p/n: BP285)
Peak Lift: 11.811mm (0.465")
Duration: 268deg
Exhaust (p/n: MMK1)
Peak Lift: 11.118mm (0.439")
Duration: 298deg

You can only fit two chickens on them at a time for a bbq. They just rotate more aggresivly now.

Which makes for a better chicken.

you need to post some close ups of those lobes!

I'm assuming you still need to press on the water pump pulley or is that changing too.

Yea I meant to do that. I'm going to see if HeadWerks will install the water pump pulley for me when they do the line hone on the cam journals of the heads for me. However I do have the specialty tools needed to do it as well. So we'll see what they charge me versus me taking some time to do it myself.

this project has taken so long and I know I've missed a bunch, but how much did you take out against your house for those cams? did you pick the numbers or is that a proven set of specs?

[edit] also, did you ever hear back about those traction bars you where going to look into?

Brian I have my own car to work on. why are you trolling around behind me with smart a** responses to everything I post? I really dont have time to read a 71 page thread right now dude...

on top of it, I cant remember what page I stopped on before.

we all have our own things to work on. If its something that really interests you then you should make the time to learn about it. Works for most things.

^ That's enough of the smart remarks. What he told you was correct, read the thread. Your questions have probably been asked and answered already.
Change your settings and it's 18 pages. It makes things a bit more manageable throughout the forum. ;)
Now, we've cluttered up Mike's thread enough.

Alright took a half day on Friday to bring my heads into HeadWerks. I talked with, whom I believe is the owner, Steve. The guy is straight to the point and doesn't screw around with small talk. Basically it was a in-out thing. He said he thought the heads were fine with no need to do any work to them. He told me to buy some gray 3M scotch-brite pads (utlra fine made for clear coats) and make three passes on the one spot and not anymore. He then said to install the cams ensuring to lube with oil and if they spun freely no worries. Well... yea. Three of the four cams spun freely. Of course the last one spun freely then hung up and spun freely again. I took the cam out to inspect it and just flippin great. The cam scored the first journal near the cam gear. After closer inspection I found the cam had a nick on the journal surface. The knick provided a high spot and it caused the scoring. I hit the journal with the 3M pad as well as the journal and cleaned everything up. Upon reinstalling the cam it spun freely. However I'm going to call Steve at HeadWerks Monday and see what he thinks. Based on his response I may shoot Dave at Jetstream Motorsports an email to see if they will replace the one exhaust cam with one not having a nick on it. My only concern is that this scoring and nick will provide a catch point for wear debris and score the cam/journal even more. Right now the scoring isn't horrible in my opinion, but can be felt and caught with a finer nail... so yea. Good news is the other head is completely fine and I could assembly it. However I'm going to hold off until I know for sure what is going to go down with the other head. Worse case they will have to knock down a little material on the cam caps and line bore the cam journals to compensate. I dug into this and it's a pretty solid fix, but not with out a lot of pain.

On another note the water pump pulley came off with ease as I had the correct tools to remove it in one of the Rotunda tool kits I bought. Should reinstall just fine too with the other tools in the kit as well. Although I think I'll wait to install it as I want to powder coat it and make it look all pretty.

I'm building a spray booth in my garage to prep the car with primer and all of that should be complete by next weekend. Hope is to have the car sprayed by the end of the month. Final choice in color... House of Kolor Trublue. Here are some examples...

1947_ford_from_right.png

SafeRedirect.jpg

looks good mike, and getting antsy to see this beast run!also on a side note, i'm extremely happy you are going with blue...so my white one will look one of a kind lol and not just a copy of the bad ass turbo csvt.

your going with gunmetal/black rims too right? that bright blue would look amazing against all the carbon if the lighting and rims where dark too

your going with gunmetal/black rims too right? that bright blue would look amazing against all the carbon if the lighting and rims where dark too

My rims are already 'titanium' which look like gun metal. I also have my other set of gold SVT Focus Euro rims as well that I will be getting some gummy tires for...

ksportsides.jpg

goldfsvtbaer.jpg

Going blue because I haven't seen a SVT done up in a blue quite like that and I think it will match the carbon fiber pretty nicely as well as the seats I'll be buying...

FX1-29505-F-L.jpg
FX1-29505-SR-L.jpg

OK, you'r going in the direction I thought you where going. the gold is a great idea as well, either set of rims would be baller on there with the blue. STI style. hop on NECO and look at nadthethomas's avatar and think of how that color scheme would look under the hood too.

if you use the gold rims, what color would you do the calipers in though? in fact, what are you going to be doing in the brake department?

I'm also going to shoot you a pm with some questions since I just read this whole thing again and I've realized your going to build a harness from scratch.

this is going to be the contour of all contours dude, I can't wait to see it finished. josh's suspension parts look to be coming along nicely. are you guys working together on the front LCA/traction bar situation?

Back