• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Hey oh! Time to utilize those heads baby... Mountune delivers with cam gears too. However they are a bit pricey... may need to save up some pennies (154,880 of them anyway plus shipping)

Cam Specs
Ford ST220
Inlet
Peak Lift: 9.721mm (0.383")
Duration: 250deg
Exhaust
Peak Lift: 9.887mm (0.389")
Duration: 280deg

Mountune/Revolve Cams
Inlet (p/n: BP285)
Peak Lift: 11.811mm (0.465")
Duration: 268deg
Exhaust (p/n: MMK1)
Peak Lift: 11.118mm (0.439")
Duration: 298deg

^ Sounds a tad expensive for just cams? Does this include installation headwork? Or let me ask what it includes?

- amyn

It includes... four camshafts, two intake and two exhaust.

The Mountune cams sell individually for £225, ~$348.48

However that said Cat Cams sell their sets for $1394.95 regardless of what set you get (sport, road, rally, race). So the pricing isn't horrific considering.

EDIT: Also wanted to mention for those of you looking into these cams that the pricing above is for an outright sale of cams. These are reground ST220 cams and normally require a set of cores to be sent in to be ground to spec. Since I do not have a set of ST220 cams (I'm sure they would have accepted my 05 Escape cams), it was easier for them to just sell me a cam set outright without the core. So if you were sending in cams the pricing may be a little less.

Also for those of you interested the Mountune/Revolve valve spring information is below. Mountune sources them through Piper Cams, a UK valvetrain company. However that said Piper Cams does not list it through them in their catalogs, which leads me to believe it is a item specifically made for Mountune/Revolve and is not available through purchase directly from Piper Cams.

Part No: NOBV6001
Price: £253.50 (~$408)

They are advertised to be good up to 8000rpm and can withstand a max lift in the range of 11.5-12.2mm. This is what Mountune/Revolve recommends and sells with their performance Noble cam sets.

Interesting note... according to a Noble owner who has a set of each of the cams below. He went and measured them in his shop and came up with the following information:

Escape Cams
Intake-total crank dur 232deg @.000in lobe lift. Max valve lift - 8.727mm
Exh-total dur 248deg @.000in lobe lift. Max valve lift - 9.53mm

ST 220 Cams

Intake- Crank dur 238deg @.001in lobe lift. Crank dur 149deg @.050in lobe lift. Max valve lift .370in, 9.40mm.
Exh- Crank dur 274deg @.001in lobe lift. Crank dur 177deg @.050in lobe lift. Max valve lift .379in, 9.63mm.

Ugh... stupid UPS. They always try to deliver packages at 11am or earlier... who is home on a weekday that early?? Not only that but since it was a COD shipment (my cylinder heads from BPE) they were supposed to call me an hour ahead of time to inform me they were going to be dropping it off and to ensure that I was available... never happened. Now I'm sitting here at home twiddling my thumbs waiting for them to call me back so I can come pick it up today after my awesome phone call with a machine asking for my information... I hate automated voice answering systems. OK end rant. Stay tuned for pics.

Booyah

flowbench.jpg

package.jpg

insidepkg.jpg

inthebag.jpg

opened.jpg

chambers.jpg

chambercloseup.jpg

valvesd.jpg

Ah, nothing like a great head job to make you feel better. :laugh: Looks great, hopefully they'll flow as well as they look. Nevermind, from what i read, they will flow better than they look

Ah, nothing like a great head job to make you feel better. :laugh: Looks great, hopefully they'll flow as well as they look. Nevermind, from what i read, they will flow better than they look

Yea that is why I paid for the flow test to be completed. However I found a problem. I sent them the heads disassembled, but place the valves in the correct valve guides that the came out of and tapped them in place so they would not get mixed up. Well when they sent them back to me the valves as you can see were all in a box. This should not have been a problem because they valves were numbered 1-12. However whoever had the job of numbering the valves epically failed. Here is what I have for the numbering on the valves. Where '---' indicates no valve marked for that number.

Intake valves
1,---,3,4,5,---,7,---,9,10,11,12
Exhaust valves
1,2,3,---,5,6,---,8,8,---,10,11,12

This leaves me with 4 valves blank, on illegible, and two valves marked '8'. So now my dilemma is that I've got seven valves that I'm not sure which valve guide they belong too. So I'm not sure what to do about that. I've read if you mix them up you need to hone the valve guides.

I just can't believe all this is going into your car. My my my :drool:.

You and me both :laugh: Never thought I'd dive this deep into my Tour. I thought this would all be going down with my Camaro... but what can I say... I have a soft spot for the Tour ;)

You and me both :laugh: Never thought I'd dive this deep into my Tour. I thought this would all be going down with my Camaro... but what can I say... I have a soft spot for the Tour ;)

i hope you have a deep spot in your pocket for tires and axles :p

Did you just have combustion/valve area work? The intake and exhaust ports look like the stock rough texture leading up to the combustion chamber.

its hard to tell from the pictures, but the ports and runners have been ported and polished as well. They are smooth and no longer have the casting imperfections.

Well an update I spoke with BPE Racing today... and wow I feel some what retarded. I forgot that I paid for a facing, backcuting, and tipping on all the valves... so yea it doesn't matter at all where I put them as long as the intake valve goes where the intake ports are and the exhaust valves go where the exhaust ports are... lol.

Well and update I spoke with BPE Racing today... and wow I feel some what retarded. I forgot that I paid for a facing, backcuting, and tipping on all the valves... so yea it doesn't matter at all where I put them as long as the intake valve goes where the intake ports are and the exhaust valves go where the exhaust ports are... lol.

Like I said, History was thrown out of your brain. :)

Are you still using the 4.6L valves? and I thought a while back you said you were going to continue to use the 2.5L duratec heads? (I could be wrong that may have been someone else)

Back