• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Looks like a guy who worked at Smoothlinez was a member here back in 2006 (name "Smoothlinez").... though not really relevant. It seems that the owner has since changed the company name to Race Precision (http://www.raceprecision.com). While they do offer some noble parts, they don't have cams listed for sale.

I found a post on the noble forums about some heat shield that was made by Smoothlinez (also circa 2006). The owner (Eli) commented... and that url was in his signature.

That makes sense now. I went to that site first since the guy posting about the cams on the Noble Forums has that link in his sig. Came to the same conclusion that you did.

Update the guy at FMS (Futural Motorsports) seems to think that the cams I am thinking of where being worked through FMS (Ford Motorsports)... I doubt that they would entertain that idea, but who knows. Another road to go down. That said I'm following up with the guy that helped me with my oil squirters at Kinetic Racing Engines to find out what they used for cams since they supposedly provided the ones that have popped up on NECO for Leo Capaldi's Cougar. I'll be interested to see what they come back with. Now the waiting game...

Edit: I also found out, thanks to the Noble Forums, that Mountune in the UK also offers 3 different cam profiles for the 3L. I've emailed my engineering contact there to see if he can provide me with any information on them. However I'm not holding my breath as they were not willing to give me any information on their valve springs. Well other then the fact that they had been run on many engines with no problems and were good to 8,000rpm. So yea. We shall see with that one.

Flow numbers look great Mike, even at max SVT lift. Please take some pics when you get them.
DOHC stuff usually doesn't run more than .450 lift, but should have more duration than stock.
Have you or anyone else talked to one of the major cam companies about getting a set of stock cams reground?
I would start there first and they would be able to make it custom at that point.
I'm surprised none of the Noble guys have had cams done.
-J

Flow numbers look great Mike, even at max SVT lift. Please take some pics when you get them.
DOHC stuff usually doesn't run more than .450 lift, but should have more duration than stock.
Have you or anyone else talked to one of the major cam companies about getting a set of stock cams reground?
I would start there first and they would be able to make it custom at that point.
I'm surprised none of the Noble guys have had cams done.
-J

I'll do better then that. I talked them into taking pictures while they completed the work on them. So we'll see what they took for pictures. I asked as I am trying to document everything with this build and put it all into a album. However rest assured I'll take pictures when they arrive.

As for Noble owners and cams... well Hoover (http://www.turbohoses.com/nobleengine.htm) has definitely done cams... but they have $$$. He has spent lots of time and money developing race cars and their engines. Right now he is working on putting a Noble at 200+mph. Seems like the guys that have bought cams either got them from Hoover or from Mountune. Anyway that said hopefully I hear something back from Mountune to see what they have available.

Cool, looking forward to the pics.
Good to know about the cams, but that's probably pretty expensive, I'd still call Comp or one of the other major cam makers to see if they can regrind a stock set.
-J

Cool, looking forward to the pics.
Good to know about the cams, but that's probably pretty expensive, I'd still call Comp or one of the other major cam makers to see if they can regrind a stock set.
-J

I already have a number of company's that can regrind a stock set. However I'm not a fan of regrinding cams, you'll never have the same finish and hardness that you started with when you regrind cams. I'd rather just buy new ones if I'm going to go that route.

Alright well on the cam front here is what I found out.

Cosworth - Has no intentions of making anything for the V6 Ford engines. They focus primarily on the I4 engines.

Mountune - Has three different profile cams for the Noble engines. Max lift varies from 11.1mm (0.437") to 12.2mm (0.480"). However these cams will coil-bind stock springs. So their springs and retainers are recommended.

Newman Cams - They offer cams for the Noble, however I'm still waiting on the specifics

Cam Motion - Has cores, but nothing developed from the sounds of things. Came to this conclusion working through Futral Motorsports (FMS).

Cat Cams - Currently has a few options, as many of you know, currently working through VAC Motorsports, a US dealer for them, to see about pricing and availability.

I already have a number of company's that can regrind a stock set. However I'm not a fan of regrinding cams, you'll never have the same finish and hardness that you started with when you regrind cams. I'd rather just buy new ones if I'm going to go that route.

A little less of a concern with roller followers and low spring tension that we run. On a full race motor with super high spring rates it probably is not a good idea.

Another update...

Crower Cams - Has done regrinds in the past. Will perform regrind once cam spec sheet and valve spring spec sheet have been filled out. (Found lead via Mazda6 forums)

I had sent a set of cams to crower and they sent them back not saying much. they were just a little hard to deal with when i was working with them. Maybe you will have a little better luck than i had with them

Well I've responded back to Crower asking about what the specs were on the regrinds they had completed in the past. Hopefully I hear back from them. I'm not sure I can fill out the spec sheets with 100% certainity though. I'm not that familar with the OEM valve springs. Plus I think if I venture down the path of a high lift cam I would want to purchase aftermarket valve springs as well.

To be honest I'm leaning towards the Mountune option pending price, just because they offer a complete package that has been proven out by a number of Noble owners.

I had sent a set of cams to crower and they sent them back not saying much. they were just a little hard to deal with when i was working with them. Maybe you will have a little better luck than i had with them

Crower has an excellent reputation, I'd want more details on your experience before I counted them out.

Mike, please let us know what they say.
And yes, you will want new valvesprings unless you send them some good stock (preferably new) springs so they know if they will work.
Please keep us posted.
-J

Crower has an excellent reputation, I'd want more details on your experience before I counted them out.

Mike, please let us know what they say.
And yes, you will want new valvesprings unless you send them some good stock (preferably new) springs so they know if they will work.
Please keep us posted.
-J

They want me to send my cams in before anything... this is the second email saying basically the samething. If they have done work with these cams before they should have record of what they have done in the past.

Dave Crower @ Crower said:
Michael,

Good morning. Fill out the form and send in the cams. It is at that point I can tell you what we can put on the camshaft. Cam hardness and lashcaps/pucks will prohibit a free range of grinds.

Thank you,
Dave

Have you called and actually talked to them about your plans?
Either way, I'd still feel comfortable sending a company like Crower the cams and a few springs so they can determine what can be done.
I'd also call for something like this, not just email.
-J

Have you called and actually talked to them about your plans?
Either way, I'd still feel comfortable sending a company like Crower the cams and a few springs so they can determine what can be done.
I'd also call for something like this, not just email.
-J

No I haven't called anyone. All of my conversations with these suppliers have been via emails. Mostly due to the difference in time zones. I'm sleeping when they are working, and I'm working when they are heading home or sleeping. So it makes things difficult. While Crower made be a good option, I'm just not liking the way they have responded to me when compared to the other companies. If they have truly done regrinds on Contour cams before... then they should have documentation of it and what they were able to provide in that particular application for whatever that order was aiming towards.

No I haven't called anyone. All of my conversations with these suppliers have been via emails. Mostly due to the difference in time zones. I'm sleeping when they are working, and I'm working when they are heading home or sleeping. So it makes things difficult. While Crower made be a good option, I'm just not liking the way they have responded to me when compared to the other companies. If they have truly done regrinds on Contour cams before... then they should have documentation of it and what they were able to provide in that particular application for whatever that order was aiming towards.
I totally hear you on that, I am in the same situation on the calling dilemma, but I still personally call for big or unique issues like this.
Not defending Crower, but some companies are much different to deal with on the phone than email.
Just sayin I'd be calling on something like this.
-J

woohoo... cylinder heads are on their way back! Should be here mid next week. They also took a bunch of pictures during the P&P process and the flow testing and put them on a CD for me.

I also may be purchasing these... to match up with the cams that I'm talking to Mountune about. Good to 8000rpm ;)

mountunespringsbox.jpg

mountunesprings.jpg

I wish I had your knowledge.

Well it's all listed on the pages of this thread, which is why I started it! Well not all my knowledge that would really suck if all I knew was Contours :laugh:

To compensate, his brain has purged everything he knows about history and the whole entire list of colors in the rainbow.

So useless information ;)

Back