• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Gasket sets finally ordered... will be filing rings in a few days, installing pistons and rings on the rods, and then checking rod bearing clearances. I have a feeling I will be having the shop polish my crank to remove .0001" off the journals for additional clearance.

Gaskets arrive! Not much more to do... just need my head work completed.

(So this is what $200 worth of gaskets look like... :crazy:)

dscf2499g.jpg

dscf2500e.jpg

Piston to wall clearance checked out OK. Piston rings are gapped, howevr I have some questions about the secondary rings which I need to get ahold of Total Seal for. I'm thinking they sent me the wrong rings. My gap is already at 0.018" and I haven't filed them or anything. Total Seal specs 0.012 for my application. So I'm questioning it.

In any case the pistons are mated to the rods...

pistonsrods.jpg

Yes it is. It's my wife's. My TI-89 is at work in my desk drawer. Those calculators are nice. Made life a lot easier when taking multivariable calculus and linear algebra.

Ooo boy. My 89 is also at work in my desk drawer, ROFL. I live for the unit converter.

89's were the best because they could solve equations for you. :) To bad they were band on AP tests.

They were also banned on the fundamental engineering exam... I got stock with a TI-30?? I think it had a PI key at that was about it... good stuff. One hell of a way to spend 8 hours

Well good news. I just got off the phone with a tech from Total Seal and with the boost I'm planning on running he said I should gap my rings at 0.020-0.022 on the top ring and 0.018-0.020 on the second ring. So I'm sitting perfect. Now time to check rod bearing clearances...

Lookin' good but you're missing 2 pistons and rods :)
Look forward to seeing the progress.
-J

:laugh: the other 8 are inside a block in the other room sitting next to a box with brand new aluminum heads ;) That's my next project of rebuilding my 69 5.7L sitting on an engine stand with set of cracked camel hump heads below it :( those things had one hell of a port and polish job on them too. I should take pictures and post them up.

wait for paint, finish the motor and break it in at SZ! i'll drive my car you can trailer yours :)

No way. I am not putting all of my car back together just to drive it to SZ. That took way to much effort to strip the car down to the shell to do the paint job right. Oh and on that note I was able to switch my day off at work from Thurs to Mon so you and I can take off Thurs night for SZ now like you wanted too.

Ooo boy. My 89 is also at work in my desk drawer, ROFL. I live for the unit converter.

I gave up on the unit converter on the TI-89 and just downloaded the convert executable file on the web... now that is a rock'n program. It's funny I do so much converting from metric to standard just because of all of the US steel manufacturers.

:laugh: the other 8 are inside a block in the other room sitting next to a box with brand new aluminum heads ;) That's my next project of rebuilding my 69 5.7L sitting on an engine stand with set of cracked camel hump heads below it :( those things had one hell of a port and polish job on them too. I should take pictures and post them up.

No way. I am not putting all of my car back together just to drive it to SZ. That took way to much effort to strip the car down to the shell to do the paint job right. Oh and on that note I was able to switch my day off at work from Thurs to Mon so you and I can take off Thurs night for SZ now like you wanted too.

again, i said i wouldnt be going until friday afternoon. i won't make it there till friday night. this is why i told you to take my car and i'd meet you!!!!!!

again, i said i wouldnt be going until friday afternoon. i won't make it there till friday night. this is why i told you to take my car and i'd meet you!!!!!!

Oh I didn't know it was Friday afternoon... well I really don't want to drive your car all the way down there without you. I'll just see if I can hitch a ride with someone else otherwise I'll just wait for you and use Friday to do some further dis-assembly on the car.

So I checked my rod bearings finally and as expected the plasitgage said 0.0015" clearance. Looks like it's off to CrankShaft Supply to have them polish off 0.001" on all the journal's for me. I'll post up pics later.

Wow, look at those beauties... Something tells me I will be forced to do something similar... The car has started smoking really bad over the last couple of weeks... I doubt the engine was built. Either way, if this continues, I am gonna have to have the engine torn apart and fixed...

Awesome job, keep it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back