• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Haha then I will have 4 engines stands all with engines on them...

Camaro's 357 is on one in the bedroom in the basement, SVT's 3.0L is one in the basment next to the fireplace, Camaro's old 305 is sitting on a stand on the side of the garage... and then the good old 2.5 will be on one in the garage as well :help:

Anyone want to buy an engine?? Preferable the 305.

not interested in an engine, but if you need another engine stand, you can borrow/have it, seriously. if its gotta sit for a while, lets throw it up on a stand. obviously its not getting hurt sittin on the ground just offerin bud :)

Friends don't let friends build 305s.

Trust me, if you heard the current 305, you would be first in line to help with the swap. Picture a 305 running on 5 cylinders, those 5 cylinders have major timing issues, holes in the muffler, no cats, and towing a trailer full of heffers in heat. If you can fathom the sound, then you know what the work truck sounds like.

Sounds like the Farm pickup I use to drive. 351 with 6 cyl, exaust rusted off at the manifold. haulen 12 250-300lb hogs.

Was able to borrow a set of telescope bore gages and a couple of nice micrometers from work to check my bearing clearances. The short block should be going together this weekend. I'll take some pics as everything goes together. Although I still need to find a ring filer to use.

Alright well I couldn't get my hands on a piston ring filer, so I wasn't able to install the rods, pistons, and rings. However I was able to install the crank and check bearing clearances and the first go around is no good. I was getting tight tolerances with the manual bore gages and the mic's so I checked my work with plasti-gage as well and it confirmed 0.0015" of clearance on all the mains with the standard size Clevite 77 bearings. So I'm going to clean off the crank again, clean up the bolt holes, and reassembly everything again and double check it. Here are some pics (and yes I know I still need to pull out the pilot bearing on the end of the crank)...

crankinstall1.jpg

crankinstall2.jpg

crankinstall3.jpg

mainclearance.jpg

Well at least that SHOULD be a simple matter of getting some thinner bearings, hopefully Clevite (or someone) can hook you up. Or you can take the crank back to get turned. I forget is .0015 within limits?

Well at least that SHOULD be a simple matter of getting some thinner bearings, hopefully Clevite (or someone) can hook you up. Or you can take the crank back to get turned. I forget is .0015 within limits?

Clevite calls out 0.0008-0.0034" of vertical clearance in their catalog.

EDIT: The above is only for the rod bearings... the mains it calls out 0.0003-0.0018?? Wow so I'm right on the end of the range then... Does this make sense to everyone else?

If you had the crank machined, don't you need the oversized bearings? Did you have it machined or just cleaned up?

Clevite calls out 0.0008-0.0034" of vertical clearance in their catalog.

EDIT: The above is only for the rod bearings... the mains it calls out 0.0003-0.0018?? Wow so I'm right on the end of the range then... Does this make sense to everyone else?

Makes sense to me and so from a numbers standpoint (if you measured correctly), you're right on the tail end of the range. I'd say you're good to go, but I know nothing about motors so don't listen to me.

If you are within spec you're within spec. We routinely sign off jet engine/airframe write ups that are right on the edge of the range provided they are still actually in said range. Given the specs you've listed and your measurements you should be good to go but if it makes you sleep easier at night then def. give your machine shop a call.

If you had the crank machined, don't you need the oversized bearings? Did you have it machined or just cleaned up?

They just cleaned it up and balanced it. So I should be fine with std bearings.

I'll give the machine shop a call tomorrow and just check with them. It's tough to work with the factory engine build manual because they just go by bearing grade 1, 2, or 3 based on the stamping of the block and crank.

bearingchart.jpg

Well... I chased the threads, cleaned the bolts, dried the crank, oiled the bolts, and reassembled the block and found the mains to be at 0.001" so I'm right in the middle of the Clevite recommended range really. Guess everything is fine and dandy. I'm going to order my ARP main studs and piston ring filer so I can assemble the rotating assembly to the crank. Then I can check out my rod bearing clearances.

However I'm still going to call the shop in the morning and see what they recorded for mains, rods, and crank. As I know they checked them, however I picked it up on a Sat and never spoke with the guy I was dealing with on it.

What is your plan for the fuel system? I'm not sure a Focus pump will be enough...

As Beans says...

He can't run a focus pump anyway. He is running a TRE 255lph iirc

You are correct sir. Plus I am going to be running a Aeromotive 13109 regulator and will be bending and building some new lines with AN fittings to replace some old existing ones.

Back