• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Finally got a piston over to Wagamon Brothers. Hopefully should have my custom pistons from Diamond Racing in a couple of weeks.

Also on another note Lamettry's finally had a chance to review my photos and is in the process of putting together a quote for me.

idk buddy. I dont really think you cleared anything up by asking a question :laugh:

you have to have some sort of hard metal bore for the cylinder walls or the heat would be too great for an aluminum piston and aluminum cylinder walls it can't be done. a sleeved block is the only way to get this effect on a car engine i do believe. some two stroke engines can run a NiCasil coating which is very hard and prevents wear. so to answer your question, an aluminum block will always be sleeved.

so when "sleeving" is being talked about on a car application, they probably mean that they have to RE sleeve the block to run a bigger piston. you can only bore a cylinder wall so much before you run into problems. some of the more knowledgeable guys in the forum can maybe enlighten you with a number of how much you can bore a stock 3L block.

Subscribing, this thread is one of the best build threads I've seen in a long time. You can see high hp/uber suspension builds all day but there is alot of new stuff being done here.

Also while you are ordering all the stuff from the UK, why not grab a Mondel Trip/Fuel computer with the upgraded fuel pump sender and temp sensor? Beats the everliving crap out of the dash clock recontent.

This

http://www.mirez.co.uk/images/Trip.jpg

Subscribing, this thread is one of the best build threads I've seen in a long time. You can see high hp/uber suspension builds all day but there is alot of new stuff being done here.

Also while you are ordering all the stuff from the UK, why not grab a Mondel Trip/Fuel computer with the upgraded fuel pump sender and temp sensor? Beats the everliving crap out of the dash clock recontent.

This

http://www.mirez.co.uk/images/Trip.jpg
pretty sure he has one already:laugh:

Also while you are ordering all the stuff from the UK, why not grab a Mondel Trip/Fuel computer with the upgraded fuel pump sender and temp sensor? Beats the everliving crap out of the dash clock recontent

pretty sure he has one already:laugh:

You mean something like this... :laugh: been there done that...

tripcomputer.jpg

yeah that's the next mod that mike is gonna do to my car :p

Buy the trip computer and let me know... I'm pretty sure your more then capable of doing it though man. It's plug and play for the most part. Plus there is a nice how-to write up somewhere linked on the boards.

Google "mondeo trip computer" and there is someone named Mirez who has a ton of how-to write ups on his own site. This is one of them.

Geez... never knew it was so difficult to get a quote for paint work :shocked:

I've called a total of 6 places, 3 of which said they wouldn't paint an entire car, 2 said they would and have yet to get me quotes, and the only one that got me a quote the next day was Maaco, which came back at $2500, but I'm not going to go cheap on this car. So that option is out.

On the brighter side my pistons should be coming in this week and Wagamon Brothers can finish balancing my rotating assembly. I guess I better start ordering my gaskets and ARP bolts.

Not going to go cheap? I'd say $2500 is right were it should be. I was quoted about $800 to have my old contour repainted so long as I did most of the prep work (remove mouldings, trim, ding guards etc. lightly sand)

Even if supplies were $250, they would be spending nearly 40 hours with your car (assuming $60/hr labor)

Not going to go cheap? I'd say $2500 is right were it should be. I was quoted about $800 to have my old contour repainted so long as I did most of the prep work (remove mouldings, trim, ding guards etc. lightly sand)

Even if supplies were $250, they would be spending nearly 40 hours with your car (assuming $60/hr labor)

depends on where you live. I paid $4k to have the exterior of my car painted after adding the SVT "body kit" and mirko. hood, roof and trunk lid where stripped. Inperfections that I had never seen before where filled/smoothed out. PPG paint was used. But then again the shop I used does alot of custom work but they also do accident repair too.

now take themexicanjob's ranger with its custom paint, he said that cost around $2k.

I got my old S10 painted 4 years ago by a friend of a friend. Ended up shaving doors, tailgate skin, fixed any imperfections in the body work and so on. 2 tone paint with hand painted chop stripe and air brushed shadows. Only cost me $1600 and a few hours sanding some bike parts. I know its a hell of a deal but I think anything over 2k for a straight 1 color paint skeem is crazy.
th_015.jpg

Auto painting is a racket since VERY few people have the equipment/skill/patience to do it properly. It'd be like if less people could do their own maintenance in their driveways, prices at dealers/shops would be even more through the roof.

I've spoken to people who've gotten their hot rods painted before and it seemed $4k was the going rate for a full blown paintjob/dent fix/sanding/filling/prep etc... That was from a reputable shop too.

EGPLNTs re-spray in 2003 was $1300 with me doing the inital sanding, masking, and removal of bumpers, skirts, and moldings.....

He shaved the antenna and did 7 coats of primer on the micha pre98svt front bumper I had at the time. Turned out like factory paint but much shiny-er :laugh:.

See if you can find a shop to let you do some of the prep work for less overall cost. $2400 seems like the high end to me.

EGPLNTs re-spray in 2003 was $1300 with me doing the inital sanding, masking, and removal of bumpers, skirts, and moldings.....

He shaved the antenna and did 7 coats of primer on the micha pre98svt front bumper I had at the time. Turned out like factory paint but much shiny-er :laugh:.

See if you can find a shop to let you do some of the prep work for less overall cost. $2400 seems like the high end to me.

:shocked: 7 coats of primer?!

Back