• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Well the HKS EVC is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow! I'm stoked.

A little update on the engine... well there is no update. I've been trying to get a hold of the builder at Wagamon Bros. and he seems to be a busy guy. Hopefully I get a hold of him tomorrow as I want to finalize my pistons he was going to look into CP, Wisceo and Diamond Racing to see what setup he liked better and provide me with a recommendation. He still thinks CP is the way to go, but he said he'd see what was up.

The cold weather has kind of slowed me down with wanted to go out in the garage and work on the car. I need to get myself a set of those wheel dollies so I can swing the car around in my garage and give myself a little more room and then I'll fire up the trusty propane torpedo heater.

The last thing I need to do is put insurance back on the tour and drive it up to the paint shops and get a final quote for the work. I'm hoping to do that this Friday weather permitting.

Do you know what your doing with the stripe and colors on the exterior yet?

Do you know what your doing with the stripe and colors on the exterior yet?

Keeping it T-red for sure. As for the stripes not yet... I have something in the works though. Not going to drop the bomb here quite yet until I see some quotes back, but if it happens everyone will want in :D

Well HKS EVC 6 is here. Everything is in good order. Can't wait to install the thing. I need to try and get ahold of the Easy Writer software for it so I can map the boost levels on my laptop and upload it to the EVC.

Finally got a hold of Thad, my builder at Wagamon Brothers. He says that everything cleaned up fantastic. They honed out the block and it sitting at the high end of the normal tolerance for the 3L cylinder bore. He has quote inquiries out to Diamond Racing, CP, and Wiseco... however he has not heard back from them. I guess there is a big show this week for piston manufactures so they have been slow getting back to him. He's hoping Monday he gets a little more info.

Until then I'm letting my car sit in the garage with all the snow outside. I need to figure out how I can manuver this thing in the garage when I start to work on it. I'm thinking it may be in my best interest to invest in some of those wheel dollies.

Until then I'm letting my car sit in the garage with all the snow outside. I need to figure out how I can manuver this thing in the garage when I start to work on it. I'm thinking it may be in my best interest to invest in some of those wheel dollies.

Do it. It'll be totally worth it in the end. Makes it super easy to move the car!

He has quote inquiries out to Diamond Racing, CP, and Wiseco... however he has not heard back from them. I guess there is a big show this week for piston manufactures so they have been slow getting back to him. He's hoping Monday he gets a little more info.

PRI is going on in Florida, largest high performance show of the year.

I will be interested in how this plays out myself. I want to do one so let us know how it turns out.

get heat in that garage and i'll come help you get your 2.5L out if you'd like mike :)

I already have one of those torpedo style propane heaters... which really warms out that whole garage. I'm just thinking I'm going to be a little short on space to get any real work done. I think I'm going to pull the front bumper, fenders, and support. Then I need to test fit the piping and make some markups on them to send them back to Joey for some adjustments for the recirulating valve installation. Once this is finished I'll start prepping the motor and then one weekend (hopefully a warmer one I'll have the car hanging out the garage to give me enough room to pull the engine.

Well Christmas came a little early. I picked out and ordered one of my gifts. Should go nicely with the DIS-4 I picked up from TRicker.

accelsupercoil.jpg

Do those actually do anything different then stock? besides yellow caps?

I can't imagine they do...

I'm more then doubling the horsepower for what the stock system was designed too... so yes I'm replacing the coil with my engine/turbo installation. At the price the coil cost, why not? Does anyone really know what the stock coil is rated too? I'm guessing not. I've heard people say on here numerous times... you'll never push the limits of the stock coil. Sure... but what are the limits. For $55 I'm replacing the coil since the one I have on there was what the car came with when it rolled off the factory floor in March 1997.

I'm more then doubling the horsepower for what the stock system was designed too... so yes I'm replacing the coil with my engine/turbo installation. At the price the coil cost, why not? Does anyone really know what the stock coil is rated too? I'm guessing not. I've heard people say on here numerous times... you'll never push the limits of the stock coil. 7.

Buy a new OEM coilpack. Look at boosted Zetecs. Everyone uses the stock coil, even when they quadruple the stock hp. I wouldn't poke Accel with a 15 foot stick.

Heres a recent example.
2009-12-06172003_WinterSprings_Flor.jpg

2009-12-06172034_WinterSprings_Flor.jpg

Buy a new OEM coilpack. Look at boosted Zetecs. Everyone uses the stock coil, even when they quadruple the stock hp. I wouldn't poke Accel with a 15 foot stick.

Heres a recent example.
2009-12-06172003_WinterSprings_Flor.jpg

2009-12-06172034_WinterSprings_Flor.jpg
Agreed! Accel makes horrible products. And just cause youre doubling hte power over stock doesnt mean anything. How do you know what teh stock ignition can handle? Now plugs sure I would def use turbo app plugs. I used to be big into thunderbird turbo coupes that come with a 2.3 turbo, and i seen them with 500whp with a bad ass MSD ignition system and they couldnt get it to run right . They put the stock ignition system back in and it ran like a champ

Accel makes horrible products.

Are there facts to go with this opinion? My Chev 350 seems to have been performing amazing and the engine was brake dyno'd at 503hp. Stock GM HEI distributor with an MSD module and Accel Supercoil :shrug: I wouldn't shake a stick at those numbers.

TRicker's MSD DIS-4 performed amazingly for him so I have no doubt it will work perfectly for me. I was replacing the coil in my car anyway figured I might as well upgrade to a Accel supercoil for $55 based on my past experience with them. Especially with the Motorcraft coils selling for $100+

the accel coil will be good mike. run them taylor wires (assuming they are spiral core, you MUST use spiral core wires with the MSD)

you'll be able to run basically any plug gap you want without blowing out spark with that combo. :)

the accel coil will be good mike. run them taylor wires (assuming they are spiral core, you MUST use spiral core wires with the MSD)

you'll be able to run basically any plug gap you want without blowing out spark with that combo. :)

I'm running the Talyor ThunderVolt 8.2mm wires, same ones I have installed today.

Directly from Talyor Vertex's website...

50 ohms resistance per foot
100% silicone 2-layer jacket
Ferrite Spiral-Wound coated core

Are there facts to go with this opinion?QUOTE]

No not exactly but based on my experiences and everyone elses I know they suck. I went through like 3 of the hei supercoiles in my 73 camaro with a lt1. I went through 2 in my thunderbird turbo coupe before i turned back to the stock coil. So to me they have never worked along with a couple of my friends having the same problems out of them. Of course this was like 14 years ago lol, but i wouldnt wast my money again just to see if there product is good now And im not knocking msd or saying they wont work or arent any good. Msd is fantastic The point i was trying to make is that most stock ignition systems, as far as coil goes, are capable of pushing alot of HP along with oe reliability. Unless PROVEN you need it I would think the money would be better spent elsewhere. But i forgot youre rich :laugh: jk

Well he already said the the new coil was cheaper than a replacement one from Motorcraft...so he actually saved money.

Back