• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

3L cams had minor changes through the years but the ST220 cams supposedly have the same dimensions as the taurus/escape did

I Looked the cams up on teamford.com. The 04-05taurus is when they put the bigger intake on and I gues 05-07? I guess is when they put the bigger intake on the escape. The teamford didn't show part numbers but the cAm prices between the 2 was different. Which I guesss would tell me they are differnt cam?Also the escape made peak at6k rpms and the Taurus was5500 rpms. Not sure if that would be due to differnt cams or the intake deign

Dropped the remaining parts off at the shop. He said machine work will start Monday. Then he will be calculating the dish and will get back to me with options as far as cost of Wiseco vs CP pistons.

I am more then comfortable with my abilites to assembly my engine. I'm very mechanically inclined. The only reason I would consider using them for building the motor is time. They have people that work 8 hour days doing just that. I would have to find the time to build it during the week or on the weekend. Right now I've had to burn my vacation before Jan 1st. So I've taken off every Friday for the rest of the year as well as the week before x-mas and the week of. So I have the time to build the motor next month. Which will put $300 or so back in my pocket to use towards my paint job. That is going to be a huge expense. That is one skill set I don't have. I have the tools to do a quality paint job, just not the knowledge and know how. I plan to experiment on my 94 integra, but I am not willing to wait around until I am comfortable with my skill set in painting. So that is why I am taking it to the best known shop in the twin cities, which is going to set me back $6k-10k (hopefully on the lower end of that). They promise that when I get my car back it will be better then when it rolled off the showroom floor. They unbolt everything possible and remove all the glass to do the job. My brother is interning at the place as well, but even with that I'm not getting a discount. I have to take the car into their shop in a couple of weeks to show them the car and obtain an official quote.

So you will be painting the car while the engine is out? Are you keeping the stock color?

Also I am guessing you will be using the escape LIM?

So you will be painting the car while the engine is out? Are you keeping the stock color?

Also I am guessing you will be using the escape LIM?

Yes I'm bringing them the car as a rolling chassis the engine and drivertrain will be out of it. I thought about it for quite a while and I decided I really like the T-red. I tossed the idea of doing british racing green, white, and dark blue... but in the end I really dig the T-red. I've recently been debating about whether I'll put some kind of stripes on it now. Most likely will match the stripe color with my wheels.

As for the LIM, yes I'm keeping the 2005 Escape LIM. If need be I will port out the openings to match the EH'd ST220 intake.

Really 6-10k for a paint job? I would just do half the work yourself.... My place does everything for around 4k and IIRC that was about the same price Brapple painted his car.

The rough sanding and prep work. But regardless from all the pictures I see of your car? Why are you painting it the same color. Your car looks great.

- amyn

he's never had the whole car painted and some of it wasnt brought down to bare metal i believe this time he's going to get the whole thing done over so its' flawless. it was close before, but mike is pretty picky.

I like the T red, but I don't know about stripes. Have you thought about carbon fiber hood and maybe trunk too? Red and black theme would look really good and not too flashy IMO.

Really 6-10k for a paint job? I would just do half the work yourself.... My place does everything for around 4k and IIRC that was about the same price Brapple painted his car.

The rough sanding and prep work. But regardless from all the pictures I see of your car? Why are you painting it the same color. Your car looks great.

- amyn

I need to take it in to the place and let them look it over. There is a place near my house that I know will paint the car for $3k-5k, but it may or may not be to the same quality as the other place. However that said it may be good enough for me, not sure yet. They painted my front bumper and splitter a couple years back and it turned out good. The place I was talking about before litterly unbolts EVERYTHING from the car and paints it seperately. They gaurantee top quality and put an amazing warranty behind it as well. They are apparently certified by Mercedes-Benz to perform repairs for their dealers. I was told this was a very difficult certification to obtain as well. Bottom-line, I want this car to look brand new. Also as TRicker mentioned I am picky. The way I look at it do it right the first time or don't bother with it at all. I'm not going to just dump $1-2k at Maaco and not be 100% satisfied. Wasted time and money in my opinion.

As for the color, my paint looks OK. However the clear coat is pealing up in some spots and the paint has chipped away from the rock gaurd on the doors making it look like it has mud on the side of the car all of the time. When I take it in to have it looked at I may ask them if the paint can be saved, but I'm planning on a complete strip down to do it right.

damn...you are putting a lot of money into this car. i cant wait to see the end result

Yea. I'm doing it the way I want it though. When I decided not to buy a Porsche 911 turbo or the Dodge Viper it left me with some money to put into this car. I figured I'd spend less on this car making it the way I wanted it then I would with the other choices. Also this way I didn't have to take out a loan either. So I still own the car with no car payments... just performance modification payments :laugh:

I like the T red, but I don't know about stripes. Have you thought about carbon fiber hood and maybe trunk too? Red and black theme would look really good and not too flashy IMO.

I've given thought to the carbon fiber look, but no one has yet to make a hood I like or a pre98 trunk lid. I have a pre98 trunk at my house to make a mold from, but I don't have the equipment or space to create a carbon-fiber trunk yet. I've got connections to people that have the know-how and equipment to do it, but I do not have the money to invest into making the trunk and hood either. It would cost me roughly $1k to make the pair and a lot of time if I did it myself. Also if I screw it up doing it myself it's about $500 thrown out the window in materials.

Seems like its coming together Mike.
To add a comment about the engine build, I would highly recommend you having them assemble at least the shortblock. I had the same debate but you're building a pretty high output turbo motor (same as I did and I also had good experienced help available to build it free). This isn't a basic rebuild and I'd want the engine shop to stand behind those expensive custom parts. Just my opinion.
I'm looking forward to you showing me how to make this EH ST220 work also :)
Good luck.
-J

Are you using Raymond Autobody for the paint? I've used them before and they are certified by Mercedes-Benz. They've repaired and repainted half of my Cougar (drunk driver hit the car when it was parked back in 03). I'd recommend them to anyone but they are not cheap. If you aren't talking about them you may want to check them out.

Are you using Raymond Autobody for the paint? I've used them before and they are certified by Mercedes-Benz. They've repaired and repainted half of my Cougar (drunk driver hit the car when it was parked back in 03). I'd recommend them to anyone but they are not cheap. If you aren't talking about them you may want to check them out.

I'll inquiry with them as well... I was referring to Lamettry's.

Seems like its coming together Mike.
To add a comment about the engine build, I would highly recommend you having them assemble at least the shortblock. I had the same debate but you're building a pretty high output turbo motor (same as I did and I also had good experienced help available to build it free). This isn't a basic rebuild and I'd want the engine shop to stand behind those expensive custom parts. Just my opinion.
I'm looking forward to you showing me how to make this EH ST220 work also :)
Good luck.
-J

Point well taken. However I too have good experienced help available as well. Part of the enjoyment I am getting out of this build is by doing everything that I possibly can myself. So when I am finished with this car I can truly say yea I built this :cool: I am not in the least bit worried about my abilities to build this engine. However if at any point I feel I have surpassed my capabilities then I will turn to the experts to get the job done. Just as I am doing with the paint work.

seeing as i'm 25, yeah your not old. wait..... i've known you for like four years..... you were 28 then! hahah jk

I almost wish that were the case... because I would have been hired by Cat a long time ago and I would have been making the big bucks by now :laugh:

Back