• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Well I finally put in the order for parts to fix the outstanding issues. Russell twist-lock hose to connect the tank vent to the vent tube on the filler neck. Also picked up a 90° bulkhead to fix my clearance issue on the tank top hat. Then a 45° -6 AN fitting to clear the firewall on the FPR's return line. Hopefully parts should be here by the middle of the week.

I hope to start running the rest of the fuel lines tomorrow after work.

fillerneck2.jpg

the color of your car in this pic reminds me of an ST220 in performance blue .... i'm a fan. It will be good to see the whole car. ... G.

I've been saying that since he picked the color. looks amazing.
IDK why ford didn't offer the SVT in performance blue to begin with, it's the only color that really makes sense with the MNB interior...

Well all the parts showed up today. I was able to flare the vent line on the filler tube and use the Russell performance push lock
hose to connect the vent to the vent port on the tank. Turned out pretty good. Also managed to build the -8 supply from the regulator to the hard line. Should be able to bolt up the rear subframe tomorrow and hook up the supply to the pump. Should also be able to hook up the return line too.

Fuel lines finally completed!... well for the regulator back to the tank that is. So your looking at a AN-10 supply line to the pump, AN-8 supply line from pump to after filter then regulator, AN-6 return line from regulator back to tank. Hard lines consist of T316 stainless tube with stainless sleeves and tube nuts. Flex lines are PTFE stainless steel braided with anodized black aluminum fittings. Had to make a custom bracket for the after filter to mount it to the frame rail. Basically the fuel system on this car will out last the car.

regulatorlineinstall.jpg

filterlineinstall1.jpg

fuellines1.jpg

fuellines2.jpg

tophatu.jpg

Last edited:
Looking SAAAAWEEEET!!! Keep it up man...looking forward to meeting you and thanking you personally for all your help and advice with my project.

Well I finally got a chance to go out and buy an air hammer... yes, yes believe it or not I did not have one.

Reason I did it was I found it would be easier to uninstall the rear knuckles from the rear chassis as it would make it a lot easier to install both the struts and the rear subframe. So in doing that I took the opportunity to install the poly mounts for the trailing arms at the knuckle. I used a 1-1/4" hole saw to cut out the center of the old mount and used my newly purchased air hammer/chisel to knock out the rest of the bushing. Then I found some hardware to pull the new poly bushing into place. I'll get pics up tomorrow. Also with the knuckles updated and off the subframe assembly I should be able to have the car back on it's own four wheels by Wed.

Also over this weekend I picked up my engine hoist that I had borrowed to my brother. So I should be sitting good to put the engine back in the car Fri./Sat.

Pics from yesterday and today. Had a hold back with not being able to find the rear strut perch rubber caps/pads. However I had a large scrap piece 1/8" piece of rubber mat material that I was able to cut a piece from to make the pad. Pics...

rearbushinginstalled.jpg
rearsuspensioninstalled.jpg

kinda surprised that youre going with a non adjustable spring

I'm not impressed with what is on the market. I had the KSport suspension some time ago and personally I think it is crap. The design has many flaws. If I do something it will be along the lines of what Pole120 has completed. Taking a well developed suspension from another application and making it work on mine.

I've also considered building my own coil overs, I've seen it done for 2nd gen SHO's. I just don't have the time right now. However rest assured its on the list for development. Like everything I do, once it's finished I'll build it and sell it to anyone interested.

^ He just needs to get that car on the ground again for now :cool:

That too.

Last edited:
Back on all fours! I still need to powder coat my rear calipers and rebuild them, but I wanted to hold off until I could push the car out of the garage. That way I can clean everything out of the garage and have a clean work area and plenty of space to do the powder coating work. This will also give me a change to wash off all the dust that has been building up on the car.

You'll notice I found brake rotors that match the Baer rotors perfectly. They are the premium rotors replacements for the SVT front rotors from R1 Concepts. I've used them before any they make a good product.

Moar pics...

psngrrearbrakes.jpg

rearviewrearsuspension.jpg

psngrrearinnerwheel.jpg

drvrearwheel.jpg

Back