• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

With the information you have are you able to do different colors? When I was looking into it, I came a cross a chart with the times for different colors. However it could have been a different process.

Any color is going to come from a chromate or a phosphate wash in an additional process. These processes would not be for home use or a DIY project.

Finally got around to picking one of these up. Now I have no concerns with the rotating assembly of my engine.

fluidamprmazda6.jpg

Well cold weather did not fair well for media blasting the rear subframe because of the moisture freezing and clogging up the lines. So I decided to use the ATI subframe after all with a modification to stiffen it up. I'll be going over some areas with a wire wheel and some POR15 as it sat for a while on the shelf and was clearly moved around looking at it. So in some spots it is showing some surface rust. However I'm really happy with how it turned out. Welded in a 18ga plate this afternoon after cleaning up and spraying down some weld-thru primer.

moddedatisubframe.jpg

Last edited:
Got the one side cleaned up and put on a coat of POR15. Should have the opposite side completed in a couple of hours.

por15rearsubframe.jpg

Was that your spare subframe, or do you still have one left?

That was my spare ATI subframe. For those interested when the weather permits I'm having my old subframe completely blasted to bare metal. Once that has been completed I'll be modifying it to have the upgraded sway bar mounts and stiffening the frame as shown above. I will then coat everything in POR15, and paint it chassis black. It will actually bw the same as the ATI subframe and I will be selling it when it's finished. The price will be significantly lower then what I purchased my ATI subframe for.

That was my spare ATI subframe. For those interested when the weather permits I'm having my old subframe completely blasted to bare metal. Once that has been completed I'll be modifying it to have the upgraded sway bar mounts and stiffening the frame as shown above. I will then coat everything in POR15, and paint it chassis black. It will actually bw the same as the ATI subframe and I will be selling it when it's finished. The price will be significantly lower then what I purchased my ATI subframe for.
I'd be very interested if it's going to be within the next few weeks.

I'd be very interested if it's going to be within the next few weeks.

I doubt it will. Jan. is colder then Dec. and will most likely prevent the frame from being blasted. Keep in mind you can have the rear subframe in and out of a Contour in no time at all. I personally had my entire rear suspension and subframe dropped in about 45min, which would have been sooner had I had not problems with a few things. Just disconnect the parking brake cables, ABS sensors, brake lines and remove the two strut bolts per side and the four subframe bolts and down it comes.

I've already got my rear subframe out. I just don't feel comfortable putting it back in. I don't trust its integrity very much, and I know that an alignment would not be possible with this subframe, as the eccentric bolts and their keepers are excessively rusted.

That zinc coating is AWESOME!! I have been wanting to do some of my hard to find Mustang hardware (as my Stang is all standard size hardware). Was going to do black oxide, but that looks way better.

Keep it up Mike. That damper is badazz. I want one. Does that wire cause issues with the zinc covering the metal underneath it?

Does that wire cause issues with the zinc covering the metal underneath it?

I moved the wire and dipped the parts again as it will not coat underneath it. The wire is steel and will not break down in vinegar so it doesn't get broken down and mix with the zinc..

Or look it up yourselves

Or look it up yourselves

Since the photo has all of the info you would need you could use this new search engine on the internet and find out yourselves. I think it is called google. Yeah a funny name but it works pretty well.

it's smaller. how much smaller... not sure as I never measured it. They advertise a 10% under drive though.

Since the photo has all of the info you would need you could use this new search engine on the internet and find out yourselves. I think it is called google. Yeah a funny name but it works pretty well.

What's google?

it's smaller. how much smaller... not sure as I never measured it. They advertise a 10% under drive though.

No pulley for me then. Thanks Mike.

Back