• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

what are you using as a referrence to assemble this motor??????

Proper timing and cam install is as follows

place cams in correct locations lightly place cam caps on and bolt loosely
do not put the largest caps on until the end as to not cause damage.
add chain and time to correct spec right hand timing components need to be set at cranck TDC 11 oclock.
all timing guides and tensioner but keep a pin on the tensioner to be held in.
then install front end cam caps
lastly install lifters then tighten down doing the end caps closest to the cams last.

Turn crank TDC to 3 oclock and reapeat the steps on the left hand timing as you did on the right hand timing. finally once everything is bolted down remove the pins from the tensioners and timing will be set.
Add pulse wheel on correct tooth.

With a build like this under your belt I shouldnt have to tell you how to properly time the motor.

Just following the Ford factory assembly manual... What do I know.

what are you using as a referrence to assemble this motor??????

Proper timing and cam install is as follows

place cams in correct locations lightly place cam caps on and bolt loosely
do not put the largest caps on until the end as to not cause damage.
add chain and time to correct spec right hand timing components need to be set at cranck TDC 11 oclock.
all timing guides and tensioner but keep a pin on the tensioner to be held in.
then install front end cam caps
lastly install lifters then tighten down doing the end caps closest to the cams last.

Turn crank TDC to 3 oclock and reapeat the steps on the left hand timing as you did on the right hand timing. finally once everything is bolted down remove the pins from the tensioners and timing will be set.
Add pulse wheel on correct tooth.

With a build like this under your belt I shouldnt have to tell you how to properly time the motor.

Also tell me how you plan to install the lifters after you install the cams?? You must be one helluva magician seeing how the lifters are the first thing to be installed, then the rocker arms, then the cams, then the camshafts, then lastly the cam cap's. The Ford service manual has you installing the spark plugs even before installing the chains, guides, tensioner arms, and tensioners. I strongly suggest doing research before shooting from the hip in my thread. What's good enough for the Ford assembly lines are good enough for me... So yea your right I don't need you telling me how to time my engine ;)

Last edited:
EDIT: I meant to say rockers instead of lifters in my first reply.

I use the ford factory cd. it says to install the rockers at the end. would you like me to mail you a copy? shoot at the hip???? Ive built over 15 engines using the ford service cd rom its burned into my head by now. If you want proof I will scan it.

Personally I wouldnt want to time the engine until the cam caps are fully tightened down. having the rockers already installed shouldnt make any difference at all when it comes to timing the engine.

the cam caps being tightened down shouldnt make a difference as long as the three marked chain links line up with their correct cam and crank marks.

EDIT: Either way who cares... do it your way Mike.

Its just the timing on a 6 year old used escape motor guys, no biggie if he does it wrong :laugh:

On another note are you still doing the roll cage?

On another note are you still doing the roll cage?

Yea. Kind weird though... I was on his schedule for May, but then he never called me back? I didn't bother calling him either as I'm not really ready for it anyway. I think I decided against the full cage though. I'm just going to put in a sports cage in the end, which can be installed with most of the interior in.

Mike, do you have any pics of the pump housing with the gear out? And I should ask too, is it new/machined? Mine looks that good.. until I pull the pump out. Then there is some LIGHT scoring, which I would expect for an 88k pump, but still a source of pressure loss..

Like a roll bar setup?

Somewhat, but it will have bracing going towards the front under the dash as well as to the rear. The only thing it won't have is the bracing along the roof line and then coming down through the dash.

Mike, do you have any pics of the pump housing with the gear out? And I should ask too, is it new/machined? Mine looks that good.. until I pull the pump out. Then there is some LIGHT scoring, which I would expect for an 88k pump, but still a source of pressure loss..

Mine had some very minor scoring, but I didn't think to take pictures of it. I don't recall the mileage off the top of my head anymore, but it's something like 32k.

Gotcha. I ask because I have a custom roll bar waiting to be installed after I can get some seats and harnesses. I am going with an 8 point roll bar which sounds like what your planning on as well, like this http://www.competitionengineering.com/catalog/CategoryDisplay.asp?CatCode=10361

Curious what material they are going to use on yours and what the damage is?

IIRC it will be 2" OD, wall thickness escapes me at the moment, but the total bill will most likely be between $800-$1300. I believe the $1300 was more along the lines of what the full cage was going to cost me. So now that I've reduced myself to a sports cage I'll probably be at $800 or lower.

I've changed my mind with regards to reusing the oil pump that came with the engine. I figured there is no point in second guessing things so I ordered a new one from Ford at the same time I ordered my water pump assembly. So looks like the timing components are going to have to wait until Wed night/Thurs afternoon to be assembly.

This really bums me out as CarCraft summer nats is this coming weekend so there is now no hope of me making that show. I had full intensions of getting it running so I could at least trailer the thing to the show, but whatever I guess. As I have always said I'm not going to take short cuts with this car so I'm willing to wait longer to ensure everything is done right the first time. Anyway more pics of the left side cams being installed below. I think I will take the free time I have now to braze my fuel rail and clean up my valve covers for paint/powder.

On a side note... I hate Ford parts employees for putting those damn picking labels on the parts. That flipping adhesive doesn't come off worth a crap. I had a helluva time with the guides and tensioner arms.

timingparts.jpg

cam1e.jpg

cam2cd.jpg

overall2.jpg

overallxt.jpg

I HATE waiting for parts... the waiting game sucks. Although the stainless steel end cap for the fuel rail is finally going to be here tomorrow along with the new OEM oil pump, Motorcraft water pump kit, and a aftermarket metal impeller water pump I ordered. Then I'm in business to get this engine completed and installed. Hopefully I hear some amazing music by next week.

Back