• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Well after talking with Aeromotive more I think I'm back to their A1000 pump, but I'm going to use their external mounted version. So I'll be picking up the new level sensor from Wema that will be built to my specs and building a custom top hat replacement. That said say hello to my new top hat assembly (AN-10 feed and AN-08 return with a 100micron stainless steel sock from Fuel Lab)...

tanktophat.png

clean solution, are you going to account for the fuel the oem pump used to displace, or just get used to the new fuel level readings?

clean solution, are you going to account for the fuel the oem pump used to displace, or just get used to the new fuel level readings?

????

The new level sensor will read out the same way as the OEM one. The fuel will just be consumed faster... I guess I don't know what your getting at.

I was getting at the oem pump displaces about a half gallon of fuel, removing it from the tank would increase the capacity a bit...

I was fishing for if there is any adjustment in the fuel reading with the new sensor setup

also of note is that the new sensor design seems a lot like the coolant level sensor that gets hung up all the time

Andy hit the nail on the head...

I guess my question is founded only in the concept of having a miles till empty indicator, which contours dont have...

sorry if my mind went off on a tangent that wasnt directly clear to others here, like I said, I have my own alterior interests in this fuel tank project...

Well they do if you put a Mondeo trip computer in your car and wire it up properly... like I did.

ok, so how are you going to get it to work right with the new fuel level set up? or are you just abandoning the idea. over in cougar land people seem content to just lose use of the in dash fuel consumption features when they swap to larger injectors for a 3.0, I however find it hard to believe there isnt some electronics hack that would get at least close to accurate measurements out of the system...

</hijack>

ok, so how are you going to get it to work right with the new fuel level set up? or are you just abandoning the idea. over in cougar land people seem content to just lose use of the in dash fuel consumption features when they swap to larger injectors for a 3.0, I however find it hard to believe there isnt some electronics hack that would get at least close to accurate measurements out of the system...

</hijack>

Again your thinking to much into it. The ECM bases the amount of mileage left based on the level of fuel in the tank and fuel flow. The level of fuel in the tank will still be the same the fuel flow will still be fuel flow... it will just be more. Not sure what is going on with the Cougars, but the system from the Mondeo is fairly dumb and doesn't use a lot of inputs.

EDIT: Links for info, http://www.mirez.co.uk/Trips.htm, CEG install thread

Last edited:
Again your thinking to much into it. The ECM bases the amount of mileage left based on the level of fuel in the tank and fuel flow. The level of fuel in the tank will still be the same the fuel flow will still be fuel flow... it will just be more. Not sure what is going on with the Cougars, but the system from the Mondeo is fairly dumb and doesn't use a lot of inputs.

EDIT: Links for info, http://www.mirez.co.uk/Trips.htm, CEG install thread

I guess we will have to wait till you finish this build to prove us wrong. I doubt it will be accurate as well.

I guess we will have to wait till you finish this build to prove us wrong. I doubt it will be accurate as well.

It'll be about as accurate as it was in the first place, which wasn't that great. However I could care less as that wasn't the reason why I put it in. I liked having the temp from outside show up on the dash like all the other cars I have.

The Cougars must use different data to calculate... When I had my 3L tuned the tuner told me he had to pull about 40% of the fuel due to the size of the newer injectors. My dash read out now reads approximately 40% off from what what it actually should be. So I think to increase the accuracy the fuel injector duty cycle must be taken into account and so far I know of no one who has an accurate read out after doing a 3L swap.

Is the read out from the Mondeo just "Miles till Empty" ?? The Cougar shows miles till empty and fuel economy..

The Cougars must use different data to calculate... When I had my 3L tuned the tuner told me he had to pull about 40% of the fuel due to the size of the newer injectors. My dash read out now reads approximately 40% off from what what it actually should be. So I think to increase the accuracy the fuel injector duty cycle must be taken into account and so far I know of no one who has an accurate read out after doing a 3L swap.

Is the read out from the Mondeo just "Miles till Empty" ?? The Cougar shows miles till empty and fuel economy..

what he just said....

my cougar apparently gets 99 miles to the gallon and my empty light comes on when I supposedly have 35 miles before a fill up....

there has to be some home brew way to alter the signal either from the injectors to the pcm, or from the pcm to the dash, just seems like nobody has put the work in to figure out how exactly it formulates fuel consumption...

it should be interesting to see how the mondeo fuel computer adapts to the massive injectors you'll be running.

although I guess one way to get the coug to read right would be to boost it untill the injectors are close to the oem duty cycle ;)

So its going to mount under the car? No dealing with fire wall regulations? Care to share how much thats costing?

Edit: Just saw your other thread, questions answered.

Back