• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

impressive. how many miles since it was rebuilt?

About 40k

Yes the Torco fluid was good stuff, too bad the owner, Evan Knoll was such a scammer.

http://blog.mlive.com/kzgazette/2008/08/financial_woes_mount_for_decat_2.html

Not sure if they are still in business or not.

That is quite an old article, it's dated Aug 14th, 2008 back when the economy was starting to tank.

They are still in business... although prices have sky rocketed. I'm glad I still have 3L worth of brand new MTF on my shelf. The first time I bought the stuff it was $6.50 per liter, then when I bought the stuff I have now it was $7.75 per liter... now, it's $9.25 per liter

EDIT: There fully synthetic version (RTF) is flipping $19.50 per liter
ohsnapec3.gif

That is pretty pricey, but in reality, looks to be worth it. If you look at the other recommended brands for tranny fluid, it isnt THAT far off from Ford Honey and Royal Purple.

That is pretty pricey, but in reality, looks to be worth it. If you look at the other recommended brands for tranny fluid, it isnt THAT far off from Ford Honey and Royal Purple.

Or you can use the originally spec'd ATF. every MYX75 that i have opened has had nothing but ATF run in them and they look just the pictures, only with some red fluid remaining. they all shifted perfectly smooth as long as they didnt have worn out synchros, which isnt from the ATF but from having over 200K miles, the brass blocker rings are designed to wear after all and eventually they are so worn down they just cant do their job anymore.

Did you run a air-water cooler for the water returning to the supply tank though? I guess I'd be surprised if you did and still had high water temps. If you have a properly sized air-water cooler for the water that is cooling down your intake air then I would think you could maintain reasonable charge air temps.

Yes, I did have a heat exchanger to bring the water temps back down. However, it never seemed to work well. I suppose I could have upgraded that setup to do a better job at bringing the water temps back down. Part of the issue it water does such a great job at absorbing the heat, it does an equally good job at holding onto it. I belive the tech term is latent heat coefficient.

In the end, the air to air I used was much better for daily driving. More simple system, no water tank or lines to worry about, no loud pump in the trunk. Also, my IATs running the air to air were much better on my logs than the water to air. One hard pull and the water never got back down to near ambient. The air to air, would regulate to near ambient very quickly while moving.

EDIT: I think you could certainly build a water to air system that would perform near was well as an air to air. It would just require a lot of attention to cooling the water back down. IE a quality heat exchanger, maybe more than one. Might even use delivery/return lines that have some form of heat dissipating charateristics.

Way to act like a pissed off teenager! Someone doesn't agree with me so Ii should get pissy and start throwing insults, yeah that'll work.

The Aeromotive pumps have been proven by quite a few high powered Supras and 3000GTs as well as im sure plenty of other cars.

so because you had a bad experience with them that means there all bad? it doesnt work that way, what ever companies your all gay love about will also have some products that slip through the checking process. or your just a moron and you installed it wrong and therefore ruined it. did you call them and tell them what happened? probly not, if you did they probly would have apologized and sent you a new one because companies usually don't like people like you, trying to convince everyone that its a crap product.
so why dont you grow up, learn that •••• happens, and if you get screwed, its up to you to follow up with them and try to get a replacement for the one that went bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to mention he hasnt listed ANY reasons why those parts are bad, "they just are"!

Not to mention he hasnt listed ANY reasons why those parts are bad, "they just are"!

its like when people argue about why chevy is better than ford. out of all of the people that have had that argument with me, not one person could give me a logical answer

Way to act like a pissed off teenager! Someone doesn't agree with me so Ii should get pissy and start throwing insults, yeah that'll work.

Where did this come from?? I'm confused...

Moving on....

Still working out the details fo my transmission build with TH, but I think I'm close to sending it out to him. I think I may just buy new bearings for the shafts, new blockers and syncros so that my trans will be basically new. TH is saying the bearings probably won't need replacing as they don't wear very fast, but I'm thinking why stop there. I'm liking the idea of the piece of mind that comes with having basically a new trans behind the power house I'm building. I'm debating about having the housing of the trans bead blasted before sending it out as well. That way I can paint it all nice and perdy to complete the engine bay look with all the powder coating I will be doing.

if you are going to replace the synchros then you need to replace the bearings as well. the bearings have to be pressed off and almost always get destroyed in the process. Unless TH can sell you the kit for a better price I would recommend getting the rebuild kit from drivetrain.com.

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/manual_transmission_overhaul_kits/ford_car.html

btw, if you have a press and a dial indicator this is something you can do yourself to save some money.

if you are going to replace the synchros then you need to replace the bearings as well. the bearings have to be pressed off and almost always get destroyed in the process. Unless TH can sell you the kit for a better price I would recommend getting the rebuild kit from drivetrain.com.

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/manual_transmission_overhaul_kits/ford_car.html

btw, if you have a press and a dial indicator this is something you can do yourself to save some money.

I was thinking about that too... as I do have the specialty tools to do the rebuild. However what I don't have access to, and what the kit doesn't include (at least to my understanding) is the double blocker for 3rd gear. Apparently Ford cost reduced the transmission and changed out the double blocker for a single, which requires a different gear. The double blocker is a more robust setup that I would like to use. My current MTX-75 has the double blocker, but I'm willing to bet the 02 Cougar trans I picked up does not. TH apparently bought up all remaining stock on the 3rd gear double blockers and retains them for his trans rebuild customers. If I bought that kit I'm guessing it is the single blocker revision, which I would not want. Although should probably confirm that.

I ordered a kit from them for the 2000 Focus MTX75 last year and it came with the double blocker setup for 3rd.

Back