#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this car will be awesome. if you make it to sz i want to go for a ride
    1998 Contour SVT- Monster Hybrid 3L ASA Racing wheels,Graphite Effext Paint, Custom True Duels, Cat-Delete, Shorty Headers, Custom Cams, PNP Heads w/3L valves... many more goodies Owner HMS in Akron Ohio

Comment

• Well after a little prying and some burning (I had it soaking in gasoline to see if it would eat the rubber, no dice, but it did help it burn )...

and a couple of these...

Then some sand blasting...

I'm ready for some powder coating and some urethane. I have some 94A urethane, but I'm thinking I don't want teeth shattering stiffness. So I'm going to look at some other options.
      -Mike
      If you are wondering where the avatar came from look here... Link
      98 SVT Contour - HoK TruBlue|CF roof|#49/6535 DOB 3/25/97|550whp here I come|Follow my extremely slow 3L/turbo build here Link
      85 Camaro - 1969 350ci, 503BHP

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• My dad has the 94 for both the front and rear mounts, its very stiff. I can't remember which 2 we mixed for mine, but it was much more forgiving. I think it was a 60 and 80 something mixed. If I had to do it again I would just do the 80.
        1998 T-Red SVT 115,000 miles (Died 9/01/08)
        2000 Tropic Green SVT #396 - 04 3L, HMS Trans, Wilwood BBK, FSVT Rear BBK, Koni/H&R...NPG Turbo Kit (JUNK)

Comment

• Yup I think I'm going to go with 80A urethane. Just can't remember how much I'm going to need. I thought 1lb would be enough for both, but I've got a PM to Josh to see what is up. Hopefully I hear back from him in a bit so I can place the order.
          -Mike
          98 SVT Contour - HoK TruBlue|CF roof|#49/6535 DOB 3/25/97|550whp here I come|Follow my extremely slow 3L/turbo build here Link

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• psh, just make them solid. I just installed solid roll mounts on my VR4 and i already had poly motor mounts, its really not that bad.
            TZT Performance http://www.tztperformance.com/
            officially a troll. '93 3000GT VR4 #2229/2595

'00 Black SVTC - sold 5/1/10
            '97 GL Turbo Zetec - gone

Comment

• Originally posted by bhiggs89 View Post
              My dad has the 94 for both the front and rear mounts, its very stiff. I can't remember which 2 we mixed for mine, but it was much more forgiving. I think it was a 60 and 80 something mixed. If I had to do it again I would just do the 80.
              DO NOT RUN 60. I experimented with two sets in 60A two years ago, and they were junk in 3k miles. It's too soft. I've done over 300 mounts in 94, and had two people return them because they were "too stiff". You can also remove a lot of the NVH simply by letting the car rest on flat ground with both thru bolts loose and then tightening them down with the engine in it's "natural" position.
              99 SVT "BLKOUT2" - PRT street driven track #&$% - 13.904 at 102.58 | 98 SVT - PRT RWD conversion project car
              00 ROUSH Cougar - SOLD | 02 SVTF - New toy and R&D car. Future RWD?

Owner/operator PRT www.prtautosport.com
              Follow development of CDW-27 performance parts: http://www.facebook.com/PRTautosport

Comment

• Originally posted by Pole120 View Post
                DO NOT RUN 60. I experimented with two sets in 60A two years ago, and they were junk in 3k miles. It's too soft. I've done over 300 mounts in 94, and had two people return them because they were "too stiff". You can also remove a lot of the NVH simply by letting the car rest on flat ground with both thru bolts loose and then tightening them down with the engine in it's "natural" position.
                Good to know... so maybe 94A is where it's at.

I also was wondering where my lifters where at... looked out the front door and...

Heads will be completely assembled tomorrow!!
                -Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• 94a *is* stiff... but you really don't notice it. I remember when the ADC kit first came out, some people were having issues with the stock mounts flexing too much and the shifter cable pulling the tranny out of gear. I'd be a little worried about that with any urethane softer than 94a.
                  morbid
                  2011 Edge SEL AWD (black) - daily driver
                  2000 Contour SVT (black); #61 (Sept 17, 1999)
                  3L with ADC turbo kit; 325hp / 338tq @ 7psi
                  car is down with a broken tranny

Comment

• I hated 94A in the rear roll restrictor. It forced too much vibrations into the steering wheel. The front can be filled with it but I switched back to a stock mount in the rear. I'd do 80 in the rear but that's just me. Then again I think the Cougar seemed to show more road vibrations than the Contour. I would have thought they would be the same but they aren't. Maybe they use different steering racks.

Are the parts in the pictures above actually called lifters? I thought lifters were only used on pushrod motors and these were called hydraulic lash adjusters (HLA). Then I did a search on it and now I'm not so sure because the descriptions I found could be those shown above. Just curious so I get it right in the future when describing them.
                    Visit: 3LDuratec.com for a prepped 3L ready to drop in!

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackcoog View Post

Are the parts in the pictures above actually called lifters? I thought lifters were only used on pushrod motors and these were called hydraulic lash adjusters (HLA). Then I did a search on it and now I'm not so sure because the descriptions I found could be those shown above. Just curious so I get it right in the future when describing them.
                      technically they are lash adjusters, but most people refer to them as lifters. generally, a lifter rides on the cam lobes (the Zetec is closer to lifters but they are called direct acting mechanical buckets), while a lash adjuster sits in a hole and takes up the lash in the rocker arm (the middle of the rocker arm rides on the cam with the valve under one end and the lash adjuster under the other).
                      TZT Performance http://www.tztperformance.com/
                      officially a troll. '93 3000GT VR4 #2229/2595

'00 Black SVTC - sold 5/1/10
                      '97 GL Turbo Zetec - gone

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackcoog View Post
                        I hated 94A in the rear roll restrictor. It forced too much vibrations into the steering wheel. The front can be filled with it but I switched back to a stock mount in the rear. I'd do 80 in the rear but that's just me. Then again I think the Cougar seemed to show more road vibrations than the Contour. I would have thought they would be the same but they aren't. Maybe they use different steering racks.
                        The first time I filled my f/r mounts, I had a ton of vibration. Then I read that the solidity of it will magnify everything... and that a misaligned powertrain was probably the culprit. I got the alignment tool and found the rear was way off (it was towards the bottom). After it was aligned, it had a little vibration.. but I didn't notice it after a couple days.
                        morbid
                        2011 Edge SEL AWD (black) - daily driver
                        2000 Contour SVT (black); #61 (Sept 17, 1999)
                        3L with ADC turbo kit; 325hp / 338tq @ 7psi
                        car is down with a broken tranny

Comment

• Originally posted by imnotacop420 View Post
                          Dude you are the F-ing man!!!! This is the most EPIC build in CEG History, you are going to go down in the history books!

Now hurry up and finish this damn thing!
                          Ditto!!!
                          2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Nero/custom stripe job
                          "Yes...it does have the goods to back up the stripes!"
                          2014 Fall Dragon Run...where are the Contiques?

Comment

• Paint is ordered!!

-Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• HoK hughhhh....lol
                              2002 Cougar
                              http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z...roject%20Grip/
                              2000 SVT Contour
                              http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z...SVT%20Contour/

Comment

• Originally posted by ContourGuy9817 View Post
                                HoK hughhhh....lol
                                ?????
                                -Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

Working...
                                X