• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

honestly i wouldnt bother. they have a tendency to fail requiring you to open the trunk in order to pull the release there so you can fill up.

My 95 had that problem...espeically in the cold. Little bit of snow would get in there, melt and then freeze. Always had to use my key to pry the stupid thing open.

I wouldn't change it out either, but I do love them. Putting a simple 1" piece of foam weather strip on the back side of the fuel door makes it pop open every time and has been working for over 9 years on my car. I use to wedge my key in there and then push the lever again and when the keys hit the ground I knew the door popped open :laugh:.

how so? I've never seen a pop open fuel door on these cars....

wasnt sure what the benefit would be...

all 95-96 models got the "locking" fuel door with the release from the same lever as the trunk, or the "emergency" release inside the trunk.

purely aesthetics, smooth fuel door rather then having the bump to open it.

OK, thanks for the info!

Have you considered doing one of these, but paining it body color?

-1950742005745993780.jpg

or will the OEM ones not fit on a contour? I know they work on cougars, and I know they offer billet ones for contours, but the billet ones, the shape looks a little hokey compared to the oem platic piece... just my opinion. would get rid of "the bump"

This build is more about function; not stick-on ricey crap.

yeah, you're right, you totally didn't add a layer of carbon fiber to your roof...

[edit]

oops, sorry andy, I though you where #49 for some reason, was in a hurry this morning.

at any rate, I was obviously joking around. I love carbon fiber myself. call me rice if you want....

my suggestion for the color keyed "eclipse style" fuel door was on topic i thought, since we where discussing fuel doors....
(note that I said painted the same color as the body)

FWIW looked at both of my cars today and no, the actual oem eclipse unit would not work on a contour like it does on a cougar.

sorry if I've offended anyone by trying to contribute.

yeah, you're right, you totally didn't add a layer of carbon fiber to your roof...

first i don't think that andy bennett added a layer of CF to his roof. and second what makes CF on his roof rice? because you didn't do it? at least it isn't a POS vinyl sticker. and since it will be carrying the theme (for lack of a better term) across the top of the car front to back it will look tasteful and will flow well with the hood and trunk lid. now i really enjoy reading this thread until i get to your posts and i'm sorry for mucking it up with a hijack like this, but every time someone has a post you have a dozen comments or totally unrelated questions. it's getting to be a bit much, what mike has done here is nothing less than completely spectacular. and he is taking more time than i would to document it and answer question to help others. seriously please please please think three times before you type something in reply to someones post, and then if it really needs to be posted and pertains the the subject at hand (this amazing engine build) by all means post it. i have my options set to show 30 posts per page giving me a total of 35 pages to read and from post 1021-1032 (page 35) nearly half of them are yours. now i'm sorry if i've made anyone mad, if you feel the need to talk trash to me or anything of the sort, send me a PM, don't muck up this thread because i will not reply back here.

once again i just want to say this is an amazing job your doing and i think that i speak for a good number of people here when i say we can't wait to see it. this build is the one reason that would get me to spring zing

first i don't think that andy bennett added a layer of CF to his roof. and second what makes CF on his roof rice? because you didn't do it? at least it isn't a POS vinyl sticker. and since it will be carrying the theme (for lack of a better term) across the top of the car front to back it will look tasteful and will flow well with the hood and trunk lid. now i really enjoy reading this thread until i get to your posts and i'm sorry for mucking it up with a hijack like this, but every time someone has a post you have a dozen comments or totally unrelated questions. it's getting to be a bit much, what mike has done here is nothing less than completely spectacular. and he is taking more time than i would to document it and answer question to help others. seriously please please please think three times before you type something in reply to someones post, and then if it really needs to be posted and pertains the the subject at hand (this amazing engine build) by all means post it. i have my options set to show 30 posts per page giving me a total of 35 pages to read and from post 1021-1032 (page 35) nearly half of them are yours. now i'm sorry if i've made anyone mad, if you feel the need to talk trash to me or anything of the sort, send me a PM, don't muck up this thread because i will not reply back here.

once again i just want to say this is an amazing job your doing and i think that i speak for a good number of people here when i say we can't wait to see it. this build is the one reason that would get me to spring zing

X200, I like to open this thread and see updates, not useless conversation to sort through.

I want to muck up this thread a little bit and simply state that this thread was started back on 11.01.2009. It's 2011 Boys! In that time period there is bound to be some questions/comments that don't really pertain to the thread's general purpose. While I, like many others applaud Mike's efforts, I grow just as tired reading hijacked posts as I do page after page of, "Mike, your car is going to be the best...can I give you the reach around when it's finished?" I would prefer to just see Mike's updates as he accomplishes them............and maybe a jab or two from myself saying, "Mike, you're slow....another CarCraft is just around the corner!" :lol:

I want to muck up this thread a little bit and simply state that this thread was started back on 11.01.2009. It's 2011 Boys! In that time period there is bound to be some questions/comments that don't really pertain to the thread's general purpose. While I, like many others applaud Mike's efforts, I grow just as tired reading hijacked posts as I do page after page of, "Mike, your car is going to be the best...can I give you the reach around when it's finished?" I would prefer to just see Mike's updates as he accomplishes them............and maybe a jab or two from myself saying, "Mike, you're slow....another CarCraft is just around the corner!" :lol:

<like>

Back