No announcement yet.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder head assembly started tonight. I finished installed all the valves, valve springs, retainers, keepers, and oil plugs on the front head. All I got to say is installing those keepers is a major PITA. Took me 2-1/2 hrs to clean, prep, and assembly the one head. Grant it I did have a few beers and I had to use my blast cabinet to clean off the plugs.

Pics...

-Mike
    If you are wondering where the avatar came from look here... Link
    98 SVT Contour - HoK TruBlue|CF roof|#49/6535 DOB 3/25/97|550whp here I come|Follow my extremely slow 3L/turbo build here Link
    85 Camaro - 1969 350ci, 503BHP

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• More pics...

Now all I have to do is order new lifters and I can complete the cylinder head assembly. Well that and do this to the rear head as well... ugh.
      -Mike
      98 SVT Contour - HoK TruBlue|CF roof|#49/6535 DOB 3/25/97|550whp here I come|Follow my extremely slow 3L/turbo build here Link

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• sooo clean!

your going with an ST220 UIM and LIM right? are the heads port matched to the LIM? I know there's up to a 3/32 lip of aluminum head showing through the plastic LIM on my engine...

I had to fight off the urge to hunt down my porting bit and soften that up some... but I think it'll happen in the future...
        Originally posted by Pole120;n1796545
        Find the weak link, make it stronger, find the next one, repeat....

Comment

• So about how much mulah you got just in the heads?

Comment

• I would be very interested to see the power numbers before you go turbo on this setup...
            99 SVT "BLKOUT2" - PRT street driven track #&$% - 13.904 at 102.58 | 98 SVT - PRT RWD conversion project car
            00 ROUSH Cougar - SOLD | 02 SVTF - New toy and R&D car. Future RWD?

Owner/operator PRT www.prtautosport.com
            Follow development of CDW-27 performance parts: http://www.facebook.com/PRTautosport

Comment

• the cams are custom turbo cams designed for a noble if I'm not mistaken, and he's got low compression diamond racing pistons. I doubt the unboosted numbers will be that great.

FWIW turbo cams and NA cams are quite different...

Comment

• I'm quite aware...my point being, what numbers does the engine alone make...without boost. Primary concerns leaning toward the effects of the head work and cams over traditional 3Ls in tq and HP curves as is.
                99 SVT "BLKOUT2" - PRT street driven track #&$% - 13.904 at 102.58 | 98 SVT - PRT RWD conversion project car
                00 ROUSH Cougar - SOLD | 02 SVTF - New toy and R&D car. Future RWD?

Owner/operator PRT www.prtautosport.com
                Follow development of CDW-27 performance parts: http://www.facebook.com/PRTautosport

Comment

• Originally posted by SJon85 View Post
                  So about how much mulah you got just in the heads?
                  To much, but you have to pay to play. ~$3600 which includes stage 2 port and polish, Mountune performance Noble cams, Mountune performance Noble valve springs, polished cut and tipped valves, and new lifters.

Originally posted by Pole120 View Post
                  I would be very interested to see the power numbers before you go turbo on this setup...
                  Well if someone wants to donate a y-pipe and cat delete pipe I'd be willing too. I don't have those anymore as i sold them off.
                  -Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• I say do it, I just dont expect to see anything too amazing. I think all the custom turbo parts would actually hurt power NA...

Comment

• Originally posted by KAOS_3.0 View Post
                      I say do it, I just dont expect to see anything too amazing. I think all the custom turbo parts would actually hurt power NA...
                      Those cams will add power especially over 5k. It is 250 HP without the boost, perhaps even more. With enough boost it could go above 500 easily. I believe he was shooting for 18 lbs of boost which will put 550 hp within reach. Rods, pistons and crank can support 600 plus.
                      Don Higgins
                      Crew Chief Pro Drag Racing Software
                      http://www.crewchiefpro.com
                      1999 3.0 Turbo CSVT ** 2013 American Dragster with 1100 Horsepower 7.28 @ 185 mph

Comment

• Originally posted by CSVT#49 View Post
                        Well if someone wants to donate a y-pipe and cat delete pipe I'd be willing too. I don't have those anymore as i sold them off.
                        i might be willing to if you can convince chris(csvt1339) to wait for his decat pipe :) since i'm hopefully installing the rb headers and y pipe soon...

Comment

• Originally posted by crewchiefpro View Post
                          Those cams will add power especially over 5k. It is 250 HP without the boost, perhaps even more. With enough boost it could go above 500 easily. I believe he was shooting for 18 lbs of boost which will put 550 hp within reach. Rods, pistons and crank can support 600 plus.
                          Pretty much nailed it. However talking with some people they are slowing pushing me to go 20psi... guess we'll see when we start tuning... it is built for it so why not I suppose, but time will tell. Although it all depends on how well the car can put the power down.

Originally posted by newb View Post
                          i might be willing to if you can convince chris(csvt1339) to wait for his decat pipe :) since i'm hopefully installing the rb headers and y pipe soon...
                          I'm sure Chris would be cool with it, but we'll see when I actual am to the point where I can tune. It may be to far out for what his plans are.
                          -Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• never know lol

Comment

• your car is two bolt right?

Comment

• 20psi would be fun! Are you doing anything different to secure the heads than just 5 layer MLS gaskets and ARP bolts? The mystical 21psi "barrier" just concerns me a little....
                                morbid
                                2011 Edge SEL AWD (black) - daily driver
                                2000 Contour SVT (black); #61 (Sept 17, 1999)
                                3L with ADC turbo kit; 325hp / 338tq @ 7psi
                                car is down with a broken tranny

Comment

Working...
                                X