No announcement yet.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I've responded back to Crower asking about what the specs were on the regrinds they had completed in the past. Hopefully I hear back from them. I'm not sure I can fill out the spec sheets with 100% certainity though. I'm not that familar with the OEM valve springs. Plus I think if I venture down the path of a high lift cam I would want to purchase aftermarket valve springs as well.

To be honest I'm leaning towards the Mountune option pending price, just because they offer a complete package that has been proven out by a number of Noble owners.
    -Mike
    If you are wondering where the avatar came from look here... Link
    98 SVT Contour - HoK TruBlue|CF roof|#49/6535 DOB 3/25/97|550whp here I come|Follow my extremely slow 3L/turbo build here Link
    85 Camaro - 1969 350ci, 503BHP

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• Originally posted by wantsansvt View Post
      I had sent a set of cams to crower and they sent them back not saying much. they were just a little hard to deal with when i was working with them. Maybe you will have a little better luck than i had with them
      Crower has an excellent reputation, I'd want more details on your experience before I counted them out.

Mike, please let us know what they say.
      And yes, you will want new valvesprings unless you send them some good stock (preferably new) springs so they know if they will work.
      Please keep us posted.
      -J
      '99 SVT Silver
      Clean DD
      '91 LX Bimini Blue
      427"/88mm @ 16psi....yeah 4 digit power

Comment

• Originally posted by biminiLX View Post
        Crower has an excellent reputation, I'd want more details on your experience before I counted them out.

Mike, please let us know what they say.
        And yes, you will want new valvesprings unless you send them some good stock (preferably new) springs so they know if they will work.
        Please keep us posted.
        -J
        They want me to send my cams in before anything... this is the second email saying basically the samething. If they have done work with these cams before they should have record of what they have done in the past.

Originally posted by Dave Crower @ Crower
        Michael,

Good morning. Fill out the form and send in the cams. It is at that point I can tell you what we can put on the camshaft. Cam hardness and lashcaps/pucks will prohibit a free range of grinds.

Thank you,
        Dave
        -Mike
        98 SVT Contour - HoK TruBlue|CF roof|#49/6535 DOB 3/25/97|550whp here I come|Follow my extremely slow 3L/turbo build here Link

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• Have you called and actually talked to them about your plans?
          Either way, I'd still feel comfortable sending a company like Crower the cams and a few springs so they can determine what can be done.
          I'd also call for something like this, not just email.
          -J
          '99 SVT Silver
          Clean DD
          '91 LX Bimini Blue

Comment

• Originally posted by biminiLX View Post
            Have you called and actually talked to them about your plans?
            Either way, I'd still feel comfortable sending a company like Crower the cams and a few springs so they can determine what can be done.
            I'd also call for something like this, not just email.
            -J
            No I haven't called anyone. All of my conversations with these suppliers have been via emails. Mostly due to the difference in time zones. I'm sleeping when they are working, and I'm working when they are heading home or sleeping. So it makes things difficult. While Crower made be a good option, I'm just not liking the way they have responded to me when compared to the other companies. If they have truly done regrinds on Contour cams before... then they should have documentation of it and what they were able to provide in that particular application for whatever that order was aiming towards.
            -Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• Originally posted by CSVT#49 View Post
              No I haven't called anyone. All of my conversations with these suppliers have been via emails. Mostly due to the difference in time zones. I'm sleeping when they are working, and I'm working when they are heading home or sleeping. So it makes things difficult. While Crower made be a good option, I'm just not liking the way they have responded to me when compared to the other companies. If they have truly done regrinds on Contour cams before... then they should have documentation of it and what they were able to provide in that particular application for whatever that order was aiming towards.
              I totally hear you on that, I am in the same situation on the calling dilemma, but I still personally call for big or unique issues like this.
              Not defending Crower, but some companies are much different to deal with on the phone than email.
              Just sayin I'd be calling on something like this.
              -J
              '99 SVT Silver
              Clean DD
              '91 LX Bimini Blue

Comment

• woohoo... cylinder heads are on their way back! Should be here mid next week. They also took a bunch of pictures during the P&P process and the flow testing and put them on a CD for me.

I also may be purchasing these... to match up with the cams that I'm talking to Mountune about. Good to 8000rpm ;)

-Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• I wish I had your knowledge.
                  Mikey
                  1999 SVT #0604

Comment

• Originally posted by rexxdoggy View Post
                    I wish I had your knowledge.
                    To compensate, his brain has purged everything he knows about history and the whole entire list of colors in the rainbow.
                    2011 Fusion SE V6 & 07 Honda Pilot EX-L
                    98 3.0L SVT Sold 9-11-11
                    99 3.0L SVT Silver Frost #1264 Sold 1-22-10
                    95 SE MTX---Sold 9/14/07 sniff
                    98 E1 SVT #4892 of 6535T-Red Sold 8-29-08

Comment

• Originally posted by rexxdoggy View Post
                      I wish I had your knowledge.
                      Well it's all listed on the pages of this thread, which is why I started it! Well not all my knowledge that would really suck if all I knew was Contours

Originally posted by elraido View Post
                      To compensate, his brain has purged everything he knows about history and the whole entire list of colors in the rainbow.
                      So useless information ;)
                      -Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• Hey oh! Time to utilize those heads baby... Mountune delivers with cam gears too. However they are a bit pricey... may need to save up some pennies (154,880 of them anyway plus shipping)

Cam Specs
                        Ford ST220
                        Inlet
                        Peak Lift: 9.721mm (0.383")
                        Duration: 250deg
                        Exhaust
                        Peak Lift: 9.887mm (0.389")
                        Duration: 280deg

Mountune/Revolve Cams
                        Inlet (p/n: BP285)
                        Peak Lift: 11.811mm (0.465")
                        Duration: 268deg
                        Exhaust (p/n: MMK1)
                        Peak Lift: 11.118mm (0.439")
                        Duration: 298deg
                        -Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• ^ Sounds a tad expensive for just cams? Does this include installation headwork? Or let me ask what it includes?

- amyn
                          '99 (Mystichrome Bay) CSVT - 0532 - I can finally say that my car is a car again!!! www.facebook.com/fapauto - www.fapauto.com

Comment

• Originally posted by qbcsvt View Post
                            ^ Sounds a tad expensive for just cams? Does this include installation headwork? Or let me ask what it includes?

- amyn
                            It includes... four camshafts, two intake and two exhaust.

The Mountune cams sell individually for 225, ~$348.48

However that said Cat Cams sell their sets for $1394.95 regardless of what set you get (sport, road, rally, race). So the pricing isn't horrific considering.

EDIT: Also wanted to mention for those of you looking into these cams that the pricing above is for an outright sale of cams. These are reground ST220 cams and normally require a set of cores to be sent in to be ground to spec. Since I do not have a set of ST220 cams (I'm sure they would have accepted my 05 Escape cams), it was easier for them to just sell me a cam set outright without the core. So if you were sending in cams the pricing may be a little less.
                            -Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• Also for those of you interested the Mountune/Revolve valve spring information is below. Mountune sources them through Piper Cams, a UK valvetrain company. However that said Piper Cams does not list it through them in their catalogs, which leads me to believe it is a item specifically made for Mountune/Revolve and is not available through purchase directly from Piper Cams.

Part No: NOBV6001
                              Price: 253.50 (~$408)

They are advertised to be good up to 8000rpm and can withstand a max lift in the range of 11.5-12.2mm. This is what Mountune/Revolve recommends and sells with their performance Noble cam sets.
                              -Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• +1 I like this thread!
                                2002 Cougar
                                http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z...roject%20Grip/
                                2000 SVT Contour
                                http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z...SVT%20Contour/

Comment

Working...
                                X