• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Are you still using the 4.6L valves? and I thought a while back you said you were going to continue to use the 2.5L duratec heads? (I could be wrong that may have been someone else)

I looked into using 4.6L valves, but it's not possible. I never was planning on using the 2.5L heads... they don't have the updated oil drain back ports. One of the reasons people think the 2.5L's starve on oil... to much oil in the heads with not enough drain back. However it's all guesses, no has proved anything, but I'd rather stick with the latest and greatest. Not only that but I didn't want 11.5:1 compression either.

How do you plan on addressing power issues to the wheels?

How do you plan on addressing power issues to the wheels?

From what I've found these cars can be built up but have problems putting down big numbers on the track seems like it's because of traction, I saw in an older post your going to do custom work to your suspension, what do you have in mind for keeping the wheels on the ground (eliminating wheel hop), most infamous getting around breaking the half shafts, and also putting the power to the wheels and on the pavement?

From what I've found these cars can be built up but have problems putting down big numbers on the track seems like it's because of traction, I saw in an older post your going to do custom work to your suspension, what do you have in mind for keeping the wheels on the ground (eliminating wheel hop), most infamous getting around breaking the half shafts, and also putting the power to the wheels and on the pavement?

If you would have read through this build thread you would have come across my solution for this already. First I'm using a mappable HKS boost controller. I will only be running 3psi in 1st gear and working my way up from there. I'm planning on hitting a max of 18-20psi. Second I'm building a custom set of traction bars for the front end and replacing all of the flimsy suspension components with tubular ones. The biggest problem, in my opinion, with past builds is that people are running high boost down low and have excessive wheel hop. Over time these sudden shock loads shear the CV shafts. I'll be replacing my current shafts with the DSS stage 2 axles as well. I'm confident that I will not have the same issues that others have had.

Nice, I'll just continue to sit back and watch, sorry I've read mostly through this thread but after 50 some pages in one night I just kinda started skipping through here and there plus I'll be honest I don't remember everything I read thus far...
but all in all looks and sounds good so far, I like that you address keeping the boost down low in first gear, I agree I think that's a rookie mistake, sounds like you know what you're doing not that I was questioning it, just trying to keep the facts and ideas fresh in your mind I know this project started over a year ago...
Good luck bro...

Ha tell me about it, I should probably just put together a summary page or something and then just edit it as new things happen. Kinda funny really how this build happen though. I had a decision on my hands.... 96 Dodge Viper GTS, 02 Porsche 911 Turbo, or build the SVT Contour. Two of those choices resulted in a commitment to high monthly car payments. The SVT Contour option gave me the ability to stop when I needed to be put money else where. So by taking the Tour build option it allowed me to purchase the 05 Expedition I now own. Plus I can honestly say no corner has been cut in the building of this engine. Once I get my Mountune cams... the engine parts have all been purchased so I can finally put it together. However I'm going to hold off on building the engine until the car has been completely repainted... and a few other modifications have been completed, which I am keeping a secret until the car has been finished. At which point I will post up pictures of the car after paint. I have to keep some suspense in this build. Everyone already knows I have a CF roof overlay and have plans in the works to finish a pre98 CF trunk and my own custom CF hood. But... wait there's more... :laugh:

All in all yes this build has officially been going on for more then a year now, but I think taking my time and doing everything right will pay off in the end.

Valve Springs Arrive!

Valve Springs Arrive!

FedEx Delivers...

valvespringbox.jpg

inboxr.jpg

Escape valve spring (on left) versus Mountune Valve Spring

springheight.jpg

springdiameter.jpg

never said there was anything wrong with it lol!! The brand on the other hand is another story.

I best not be working at 10pm lol. That was at home. Coors is decent stuff. Not my favorite, but it was free. I helped fix a friends 04 Silverado and he brought beer over and left it for me. I prefer Surly's Furious, Leinenkugel Honey Weiss, Guinness, or the occasional Corona with a lime.

i'd rather drink my coor's light and smile than walk around with a ••••ty look on my face drinking that nasty thick mud you beer snobs call "good"

its hard to tell from the pictures, but the ports and runners have been ported and polished as well. They are smooth and no longer have the casting imperfections.

Can you provide some better pictures of the intake and exhaust ports??

i'd rather drink my coor's light and smile than walk around with a ••••ty look on my face drinking that nasty thick mud you beer snobs call "good"

Have you had Surly Furious?? Don't talk smack until you have some... and at 6.4% it's very nice.

Can you provide some better pictures of the intake and exhaust ports??

I'll snap some more pics when I install my valve springs, which should be Friday. I'm waiting on my new valve keepers to get in.

Have you had Surly Furious?? Don't talk smack until you have some... and at 6.4% it's very nice.
I'll snap some more pics when I install my valve springs, which should be Friday. I'm waiting on my new valve keepers to get in.

surly is freaking amazing.

so out of curiousity, and maybe this is a dumb question, would those springs work with stock cams or do they require high lift to function?

so out of curiousity, and maybe this is a dumb question, would those springs work with stock cams or do they require high lift to function?

Not sure why you would bother. The springs are only needed because of the higher lift as with the higher lift of the aftermarket cam binds the stock springs.

well I do have cams that will bind at revolution... I only ask because I like to test each part individually. Like I said, its a border line dumb question, I'm just trying to get a better understanding.

Alright folks I know I promised pics of the ports today as I said I was going to assembly my heads. Well I won't be able to assembly them. When I went to assembly them I was looking at the cam journals and noticed this...

camjournal.jpg

camjournal2.jpg

So I now need to wait until I receive my Mountune/Revolve cams so that I can take them in with my heads to HeadWerk's out of Bloomington, MN so that I can have them perform a line hone with the cam caps installed to hopefully fix the above issues.

However I didn't want to disappoint so here are better pictures of the ports. The stageII port job is just cleaning up the combustion chamber and unshrouding the valves with a little port work. However I had them spend a little more times in the ports cleaning up around the valve stem opening and ports as well, but I did not want them enlarging the ports at all. The ports are a lot smoother (really smooth to the touch actually) then what it used to be. I may attempt to do a little more smoothing, but not much as some turbulence is good.

Exhaust:
exhaustport.jpg

exhaustport2.jpg

exhaustvalveport.jpg

Intake:
intakeport.jpg

intakevalveport.jpg

Alright folks I know I promised pics of the ports today as I said I was going to assembly my heads. Well I won't be able to assembly them. When I went to assembly them I was looking at the cam journals and noticed this...

camjournal.jpg

camjournal2.jpg

So I now need to wait until I receive my Mountune/Revolve cams so that I can take them in with my heads to HeadWerk's out of Bloomington, MN so that I can have them perform a line hone with the cam caps installed to hopefully fix the above issues.

Yikes, those look rough. They'll be in good hands at Headwerks.

Back