#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by blu_fuz View Post
    If you had the crank machined, don't you need the oversized bearings? Did you have it machined or just cleaned up?
    They just cleaned it up and balanced it. So I should be fine with std bearings.

I'll give the machine shop a call tomorrow and just check with them. It's tough to work with the factory engine build manual because they just go by bearing grade 1, 2, or 3 based on the stamping of the block and crank.

-Mike
    If you are wondering where the avatar came from look here... Link
    98 SVT Contour - HoK TruBlue|CF roof|#49/6535 DOB 3/25/97|550whp here I come|Follow my extremely slow 3L/turbo build here Link
    85 Camaro - 1969 350ci, 503BHP

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• Well... I chased the threads, cleaned the bolts, dried the crank, oiled the bolts, and reassembled the block and found the mains to be at 0.001" so I'm right in the middle of the Clevite recommended range really. Guess everything is fine and dandy. I'm going to order my ARP main studs and piston ring filer so I can assemble the rotating assembly to the crank. Then I can check out my rod bearing clearances.

However I'm still going to call the shop in the morning and see what they recorded for mains, rods, and crank. As I know they checked them, however I picked it up on a Sat and never spoke with the guy I was dealing with on it.
      -Mike
      98 SVT Contour - HoK TruBlue|CF roof|#49/6535 DOB 3/25/97|550whp here I come|Follow my extremely slow 3L/turbo build here Link

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• What is your plan for the fuel system? I'm not sure a Focus pump will be enough...
        1998 T-Red SVT 115,000 miles (Died 9/01/08)
        2000 Tropic Green SVT #396 - 04 3L, HMS Trans, Wilwood BBK, FSVT Rear BBK, Koni/H&R...NPG Turbo Kit (JUNK)

Comment

• He can't run a focus pump anyway. He is running a TRE 255lph iirc
          '98 SVT E0 BLK/MNB#1663 Forged Ovalport 3L Supercharged

Comment

• Originally posted by bhiggs89 View Post
            What is your plan for the fuel system? I'm not sure a Focus pump will be enough...
            As Beans says...

Originally posted by Beans View Post
            He can't run a focus pump anyway. He is running a TRE 255lph iirc
            You are correct sir. Plus I am going to be running a Aeromotive 13109 regulator and will be bending and building some new lines with AN fittings to replace some old existing ones.
            -Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• Gasket sets finally ordered... will be filing rings in a few days, installing pistons and rings on the rods, and then checking rod bearing clearances. I have a feeling I will be having the shop polish my crank to remove .0001" off the journals for additional clearance.
              -Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• Gaskets arrive! Not much more to do... just need my head work completed.

(So this is what $200 worth of gaskets look like... )

-Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• FINALLY!

I now have all of the tools needed to finish my engine build.

-Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• Now hurry up! Is the car in paint yet?
                    *CLICK HERE ---> 1995 SE 3L WITH MATCHING TRAILER <--- CLICK HERE*
                    30 Contour / Mystiques and counting......

Comment

• Nice purse.
                      -99 T-RED 3L SVT TURBO
                      -99 T-GREEN RHD MPV ST220 MAZDA 6 TURE DUAL 3L SVT
                      -00 BLK/TAN SVT
                      NEW OEM CONTOUR PARTS DEALER*
                      SVTWAREHOUSE.COM COMING SOON!!

Comment

• That's not a purse, it's a handbag.....
                        *CLICK HERE ---> 1995 SE 3L WITH MATCHING TRAILER <--- CLICK HERE*
                        30 Contour / Mystiques and counting......

Comment

• Originally posted by svttour View Post
                          Nice purse.
                          Originally posted by blu_fuz View Post
                          That's not a purse, it's a handbag.....
                          Hahaha... yea my wife tries to use the kitchen table too. However I dominate it with car parts and tools whenever I can
                          -Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• Piston to wall clearance checked out OK. Piston rings are gapped, howevr I have some questions about the secondary rings which I need to get ahold of Total Seal for. I'm thinking they sent me the wrong rings. My gap is already at 0.018" and I haven't filed them or anything. Total Seal specs 0.012 for my application. So I'm questioning it.

In any case the pistons are mated to the rods...

-Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• Oooo is that a TI-86?
                              Ian
                              2012 Hyundai Accent hatchback
                              1996 Zetec ATX - Retired but still running (barely)
                              Aircougar Performance

Comment

• Originally posted by zorrex View Post
                                Oooo is that a TI-86?
                                Yes it is. It's my wife's. My TI-89 is at work in my desk drawer. Those calculators are nice. Made life a lot easier when taking multivariable calculus and linear algebra.
                                -Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

Working...
                                X