• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Oh my. That looks shiny and fun. :laugh: Honestly didn't think you were going to be going that route. Now I am interested to see how well they work if you do get them.

Also I am willing to bet that most (if not all) axles that have broken with these cars have been due to a single (or multiple over time) extremly high torsional load caused by a sudden change in traction. Imagine your running a bolt into a threaded hole with an impact gun... the bolt you are using is a lot longer then it needs to be... what happens when the bolt bottoms out in the hole? The impact gun shears the head of the bolt clean off. That is essentially what is happening with these axle shafts on Contours (I'm guessing).

My tuned3l will lsd never had a problem with snapping stock axles. thats is until the dif locked up. shawdy torsen. If you ever do get a atb dif get the quaif or how ever its spelled

My tuned3l will lsd never had a problem with snapping stock axles. thats is until the dif locked up. shawdy torsen. If you ever do get a atb dif get the quaif or how ever its spelled

I already have the Torsen T2 ATB installed. I've been running it since 2005 without any problems. I bought my car with a blown engine and upgraded the MTX-75 at the same time I replaced the engine.

Haven't there only been like 2 or 3 torsens to have died on this site? :shrug:

I've only seen one or two killed Torsen's on this site - and what killed them would have killed any other differential as well. Installation error or stupidity have killed them - nothing else. The axles in these cars will let loose before the differential will go.

Also I am willing to bet that most (if not all) axles that have broken with these cars have been due to a single (or multiple over time) extremly high torsional load caused by a sudden change in traction. Imagine your running a bolt into a threaded hole with an impact gun... the bolt you are using is a lot longer then it needs to be... what happens when the bolt bottoms out in the hole? The impact gun shears the head of the bolt clean off. That is essentially what is happening with these axle shafts on Contours (I'm guessing).

Yeah I allways figgured wheel hop is the main killer of axles, with sudden spikes of traction from the wheels bouncing up and down.

Just FYI for everyone that was interested in parts I would have left over from this build I just started a thread in the classified section, LINK. All prices are negotiable. Somethings I wasn't sure what they were worth so I took a stab at it. Let me know if your interested.

Well mine was installed by terry hains him self. Its a fully built HMS tranny so i highly doubt it was installer error. Not to mention when i caleld and talked to him about it he's had 2 or 3 other people have the same problem with there torsen locking up. Mine started with a thumping when i made a left turn. It jsut did that for a while. Then at the track it locked and snapped my axle. I meet the guy that ryansblacksvt sold his black svt to and he said his is doing that same thing. And of course his dif was installed local here in GA. I told him expect a new dif in the near futur.Torsens are junk. Im not saying they are all junk. just that i would invest the extra money in a dif like quaif that actually sells replacement parts unlike torsen

Mine started with a thumping when i made a left turn. It jsut did that for a while. Then at the track it locked and snapped my axle. I meet the guy that ryansblacksvt sold his black svt to and he said his is doing that same thing. And of course his dif was installed local here in GA. I told him expect a new dif in the near futur.Torsens are junk. Im not saying they are all junk. just that i would invest the extra money in a dif like quaif that actually sells replacement parts unlike torsen
do you know how many miles problems like this were occuring at ? ..thanks ...G.

do you know how many miles problems like this were occuring at ? ..thanks ...G.
to be honest idk how many miles i put on mine but I drove it for about 2 years maybe a little longer or so with the dif. Which it sat at one point for 3 months or so. So im guessing 60k miles atleast since it was my DD and i put 240 miles on it a week in a 4 day work week just driving to and from work.

to be honest idk how many miles i put on mine but I drove it for about 2 years maybe a little longer or so with the dif. Which it sat at one point for 3 months or so. So im guessing 60k miles atleast since it was my DD and i put 240 miles on it a week in a 4 day work week just driving to and from work.

My Torsen has roughly... 40k on it without any issues. However I've only been putting ~180whp through it so who knows what will happen when I put 500whp through it :crazy:

My Torsen has roughly... 40k on it without any issues. However I've only been putting ~180whp through it so who knows what will happen when I put 500whp through it :crazy:
lol only the dif knows. Mine was seeing 203hp 210tq at the wheels

Mine is fine - lots of really really really abusive launches, wheel hopping around corners and low fluid on the freeway for a short bit. I wouldn't say they are junk, Ford uses them in their rally cars for a reason, Audi's use the quite a bit, even a Lexus here and there.

You can always spend more money and get a Quife, but I wouldn't go as far as saying Torsen's are junk.

Mike - do you have a time you are shooting to get this done for? Car Craft?

Well the info is out for the quote on the paint job with Lamettry's. We'll see what the damage is here soon. Going to start taking off the bumpers, fenders, and side skirts today. Woohoo... finally some progress now that Xmas shopping is over with :D Stay tuned for pics later on tonight!

im sorry you dont think they are junk but thts just my opinion. all the difs i herd that messed up that are torsen. Havent really herd of a quaif F up. And if you spend all that money on a dif and cant even replace any parts, you have to buy a hole new unit, thats junk to me anyways. If i had new that from the begining i would have spent the little bit of extra cash for the quaif. Not to mention quaifs have a LIFE TIME WARRANTY.

funny how everyone was so slow to buy that quaife I was selling earlier this year..... especially considering I was selling a brand new in box one for less than the price of a new torsen.:nonono:

still have some green samco hoses though:laugh: anyone want them?

My cars naked!

Got the all the exterior parts I wanted to off tonight. Front and rear bumpers, side skirts, fenders, side markers, and headlights.

I'm a little pissed too. I found a crack in my rear bumper tucked underneath, definitely going to need repair. Also my passenger side, side skirt was flexed at one point as the paint above the jack point cover is spydered a little and has a small dent. Not sure how I missed that... Hopefully the body shop can fix those issues for me though.

I'll post pics up tomorrow I'm to flippin tired... so with that I'm off to bed.

Awesome! Pics on the progress would be awesome. Keep us updated on the traction bar as well. I would like to see how that works.

I would see how Goumba does with his GB for the LCA's and maybe a Traction Bar after that.

- amyn

Back