• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

The pipe cap from home depot/etc works but I have never felt confident about it. I am pretty positive the EGR port is a metric thread, yes it threads on but I don't think its really creating a perfect seal, at least until it fills up with carbon....I have always feared the cap not sealing and messing with the AFR's. I meant to weld it shut last time I had the engine out but I forgot.

I would cut the threads off, tap out some sort of spacer for 1/8npt and weld that into he old EGR port.

I just ended up taking the OEM EGR tube I had and cut the swivel nut off of it. Then silver soldered the pyrometer thermocouple fitting to it. Just not sold on how it will function with the header since the EGR port is not straight on. I might have to try and bend the thermocouple probe to sit further in the runner.

424p.jpg
q4mv.jpg

z3zyu.jpg
hdb4l.jpg

jm141.jpg
y6f7m.jpg

gauge pod cleaned up and test fitted. Now to put on some glazing putty and lay it up with some MNB vinyl and a aluminum faceplate..

5aqd.jpg

zgp7.jpg

Mike; would it be possible to make a gauge pod that sits further back near the windshield and goes right across.. echoing the stock instrument cluster ?

Not a big fan of that lump on the dash .... sorry to be blunt, but your superb standard of work just makes my expectations of you, that much higher ....G.

G I hear ya. However I value function over looks for something like this. I need to access the display/control panel for the EVC, so I wanted it with in arms reach without having to go around the steering wheel.

To bad the heater vents are there. It would be a nice installation location would almost look factory.

dyjaga9e.jpg

Last edited:
We'll see when everything's back together. It won't look bad/dreadful when its finished.

The layout is based off of a couple other designs I've seen. It'll work just fine for now.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

I went and test fitted my racing seat the other day and visiblity is perfect with that gauge pod installed. I have no plans on changing it.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

The throne has been set in place. Time to paint the brackets I made to finish it off.

qsbha.jpg

Last edited:
After a year and a half away i expceted to come back and find this car finished. It's looking great, can't wait till it's done.

I believe, due to the mass of the higgs boson, that the vacuum of space time will destabilize and the universe will cease to exist before we see this car finished...

I believe, due to the stupidity of that post, that I could care less about your future posts ;)

Back