• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Really Bad Timing...

Brokendown

CEG'er
So I am driving up 131 and my car just throws a rod like it is something to do. So my 3L swap is going to have to skip the rebuilding part and go right back to re-assembly and installation.

So I really need some quick answers that I would normally research but I have class all day and dont have time to poor over the forums.

1. Do I need a Cougar motor mount or something or will all my 2.5 mounts just bolt on?
2. I have a complete 2.5L engine installed in the car right now and a 3L block, heads, and oil pan up here with me. Do I need anything else from the 3L, like that giant metal plate that was bolted on the side or anything like that?
3. Will My 2.5L accessories (alt, Water Pump, Power Steering Pump) just bolt up to my 3L block with the 2.5L timing cover on it?

If I am missing any key details on doing the swap, I would really appreciate the advice. I have kind of gotten rushed into this so I am nervous about doing this...I am taking a trip over to Ford possibly tomorrow and ordering all new gaskets and bearings just so I can get them in by the weekend. So yeah, any help is MUCH appreciated.

So I am driving up 131 and my car just throws a rod like it is something to do. .
I had an engine do that to me once .. it started up and drove for 2 miles before it curled its' toes up ... lol. .. gotta love cheap cars you don't give a flying F. about .. tee hee

1. Do I need a Cougar motor mount or something or will all my 2.5 mounts just bolt on? .
I believe the 2.5L mounts will work... but you need to bolt the pass. side one on before you put the heads on , otherwise you will have to grind it to get it to fit between the heads.
2. I have a complete 2.5L engine installed in the car right now and a 3L block, heads, and oil pan up here with me. Do I need anything else from the 3L, like that giant metal plate that was bolted on the side or anything like that? .
what intake system are you running ? SVT or 3,0L oval. Metal plate ? the plate from round the flywheel ?
3. Will My 2.5L accessories (alt, Water Pump, Power Steering Pump) just bolt up to my 3L block with the 2.5L timing cover on it?.
basically yes .. but you will need to grind the 3.0L block to get the 2.5L alternator bracket to fit. You also need to remove/grind flush the pilot bearing on the end of the 3.0L crankshaft, so the SVT flywheel will bolt on..

These are some of the key jobs... post up the exact engine you have and which setup you want to have ... then the more knowledgable guys can give you the extra details you need ..G.

Back