• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Why 3L over 2.5L?

00svtblack

New CEG'er
I understand that more displacement = more power. However on paper the 04 Escape 3l seems to put out almost the same as the svt 2.5. (201hp, 196t vs. 200hp, 170t) Which is a better motor? I have found both motors for about the same price. And keep in mind I had planned to keep n/a. Also What is the difference between the svt version and the standard 2.5 (or point me in the right direction if it has already been posted)?

for one, a 3L will give u more power and torque for the same mods to the 2.5. second, theres quite a bit of info on that question in this forum. try searching more. besides, there's an ongoing thread on this same question as well.
As for the diff between svt and 2.5, its intakes and cams.

I understand that more displacement = more power. However on paper the 04 Escape 3l seems to put out almost the same as the svt 2.5. (201hp, 196t vs. 200hp, 170t) Which is a better motor? I have found both motors for about the same price. And keep in mind I had planned to keep n/a. Also What is the difference between the svt version and the standard 2.5 (or point me in the right direction if it has already been posted)?

First of all, you see those torque numbers, right? Second of all, there really is no way to understand until you drive both of them.

you know how your car with the 2.5 is gutless below 3500 rpm well with the 3L you have tons more power....

plus you can find lower mileage 3L for less money than higher mileage SVT 2.5s which are hard to find.

3L taurus engines can be had for $300

either are fine though

plenty on car-parts.com

Why go escape? The taurus has more hp and tq but that's probably tuning

I thought they were putting out the same.

2000 Ford Taurus - 3.0-liter 24v V6
· Horsepower (hp @ rpm):200 @ 5750
· Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm):200 @ 4500

2003 Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable – 3.0-liter 24v V6
· Horsepower (hp @ rpm):200 @ 5650
· Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm):200 @ 4400

2003 Ford Escape – 3.0-liter 24v V6
· Horsepower (hp @ rpm):201 @ 5900
· Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm):196 @ 4700

Are these figures correct?

From what I read seemed like the escape engine involved less mods to swap. Is that correct?

To reiterate, the torque from the 3L is well worth it.
Escape engines take fewer mods but are rarer and more expensive.
Grabbing an 01-05 Taurus/Sable Duratec 3L is much easier and less expensive. The "extra" mods are not major.

your power numbers arent factoring in the tuning. even using the stock SVT tune, the 3L puts out closer to 200 whp. the factory tuning for the escape and taurus are not for performance, as the SVT is more aggressive. you cant base what you are looking at off factory rated HP, they dont apply to the 3L equipped SVT

Back